This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] Update has broken system

Updated my system today and noticed my nvidia drivers (450) were going to be uninstalled to install new drivers but went ahead and now when I try to boot it loads up GRUB (whereas it didn't beforehand) and if I click ubuntu I end up getting this screen

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cOz...ew?usp=sharing

Any thoughts?!

Thanks in advance

I have even tried a fresh install formatting the root partition but not /home and upon rebooting I'm still getting the same problem! I even tried a fresh install without installing updates. Could it be some issue that's installed in /home and I need to wipe that partition too?!

Comment

It's unlikely anything in /home is stopping the Kubuntu login screen from coming up. I would not wipe home unless you are truly confident that you have great backups.

The link you provided isn't correct for letting people see the screen. You need a link that says anyone can see, not just those with access.

This is a Kubuntu forum but you say you click 'ubuntu' in grub?

Comment

Hi, thanks for your reply, try this link now https://drive.google.com/file/d/1cOz...ew?usp=sharing

I managed to sort it, but I did a fresh install, including formatting /home (I had it all backed up anyway) and I also made sure the boot loader was pointed to the EFI partition. I am not sure what caused the issue but I would be keen to know in case it happens again.

Thanks once again

Comment

Have you tried booting to an earlier kernel? Error message says initramfs is bad or more likely didn't build. This is one reason why upgrading kernel drivers from the GUI is a bad idea - no visibility into error messages. However, if you actually re-installed this wouldn't be happening so it's probably a grub error. Also, your description isn't very accurate. You said it wasn't "loading" GRUB before, but of course, that's impossible because GRUB is the bootloader. Seems like you meant you hadn't seen this error or a grub menu before - which is normal if you're not dual booting or haven't changed GRUB from the default "hidden" menu to display it's boot menu. Nothing in your home has anything to do with this error.

You might want to try fixing GRUB to see if that's the issue. Seems kinda odd that you're booting from sdi - nine devices down the list.

You can boot to a LiveUSB, mount your boot folder somewhere, and re-install grub that way. There's dozens if not hundreds of internet posts detailing how to do that.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yes I am pretty sure it was a GRUB error to be honest. Thanks for your tips, hopefully it won't happen again though!

Comment

Working...
            X