X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing folders

Hi,
    So partitioned my nvme m.2 drive as 120gb for win10 and same for kubuntu, and then 250 for a shared folder as FAT32 - all fine. Was working on a file in a folder last night in the shared drive, came to it today - the folder is just missing not there. Rebooted into windows only to see it booting up with "scanning and repairing disks", still could not see the folder, back into Kubuntu now I see a folder labedled as FOUND, containing a mess of a collection of the files that I was looking for, all the files names are FILE1234.chk - eventually found the doc I was working on and it's backed up now.

My real concern is going forward do I trust this shared drive ? What happened ? Is there something I should know about shared partitions and nvme's?
    Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Nothing special about m.2 drives I can think of.
    But why use the ancient, unreliable fat32 filesystem? I'd suggest just using ntfs.
    Windows does seem to like fat32 partitions larger than 32Gb, and there is a size limit on individual files of 4gb

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      Nothing special about m.2 drives I can think of.
      But why use the ancient, unreliable fat32 filesystem? I'd suggest just using ntfs.
      Windows does seem to like fat32 partitions larger than 32Gb, and there is a size limit on individual files of 4gb
      I am old I guess, Kubutnu can 'see' and interact with ntfs as a shared partition too?
      Thanks:<br />Using a Toshiba A300-21H ,3GB ram,Intel Core2Duo 2Ghz,Mobile Intel® GMA 4500MHD,intel wifi link 5100. Tux wants you!

Comment

Originally posted by natman View Post
        I am old I guess, Kubutnu can 'see' and interact with ntfs as a shared partition too?
        Most definitely.

Comment

Just to be obstreperous, there is exfat, also.
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
            Just to be obstreperous, there is exfat, also.
            I was gonna suggest it as well, but am not sure of its reliability for large drives, plus its lack of journaling like fat32.

Comment

There is that. All I use exfat for is non-operational stuff, file transfers, things like that. But, then again I don't use Windows, except at work, so I don't get the "joy" of worrying about NTFS management. I don't even have any management rights on the work laptop - it's all remote. Fine with me
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                ...obstreperous...
                Word of the Month Award Winner!

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                X