X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Login Password necessary for Konsole

Hello,
    I don't know how this happened! But - since yesterday I have to enter my password to be able to use konsole after opening the konsole window. What might be the cause? Any ideas?
    Regards
    H. Stoellinger

Sound suspiciously like you have root owned files in your home folder. open you home folder in konsole and run:

find . "$(pwd)" -user root

or

ls -aRl |grep root

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks for the quick suggestion!

Running find . "$(pwd)" -user root did not show any files owned by root;
      running ls -aRl |grep root only showed files/directories with "root" as part of the name.

By accident I pressed Ctrl+C (cancel) when prompted for the password with the result that
      I DID get into the konsole session nevertheless without entering any password.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Sound suspiciously like you have root owned files in your home folder. open you home folder in konsole and run:

find . "$(pwd)" -user root

or

ls -aRl |grep root

Comment

hmm, did you "Save" a desktop session with konsole open?

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry to ask a "stupid" question! But - how do you "save" a konsole session? I tend to work very extendedly with konsole and bash line commands. In the end - i.e. before shutting down the computer - I usually enter "shutdown -h (or -r) now", but don't consciously do anything to "save" tabs etc.. Not that this wouldn't be good to be available, seeing as I usually tend to have the same 4 to 5 sub-windows open, most of them with a lan-ssh-connected server (debian-10).
          Regards
          H. Stoellinger

Comment

Sorry again! You meant a "desktop session", didn't you? Well I set "start with an empty sesseion" in System settings and rebooted. No change!

Comment

OK. Have you done anything unusual regarding konsole (like changed default settings, etc.) and how exactly are you launching it? I assume from the menu? If so, try ALT-F2 and type in konsole and see what that does. If it launches konsole normally, then it is likely a user-space issue. If konsole still launches as root, then it's a system problem. Also, if you have or care to create a second user account, that's a good way to test also.

Forcing shutdown that way might cause problems. It may bypass some logout housekeeping. You might want to use the menu log-out until this is figured out.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
              X