X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

dual boot Kubuntu 20.04 Windows 10

Dear All,

I made a 400 GB space at the right of the partition of Windows.
    I've been looking on how to install Kubuntu after Windows 10 in the internet. Almost everything is possible: primary, logical; one, two, three or more partitions; /, /home,... ; the size of swap should be twice that of the RAM, the same of the RAM or half of the RAM.
    Please, can somebody show me a good guidance?

Cheers

So some of what is required you have likely already done. Review this YouTube video start to end first. Decide what you don't need to do; do the rest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZeDVeHLM4
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Hmm, logical partitions? Your Windows 10 install is using MBR? Weird.

SWAP double the size of RAM is probably a waste of space unless you have less than 8GB. BTW, the default for *buntus is a swap file rather than partition. If you're going to hibernate/sleep then SWAP the size of RAM is needed. Otherwise, less is OK, like if you have 16GB RAM, a couple GB of SWAP is likely enough. One big plus to using a swap file is you can resize it much easier than a partition if need be.

As far as partitions, common guidance is separate / and /home unless you use BTRFS. WIth 400GB you might want a second install partition or some "playground" space. 30GB is more than enough for a Kubuntu install IMO.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you very much Snowhog, but :
        The Youtuber doesn't have the same window as me. You can see his window (7:30 min.) and you can see my window in the link bellow:
        https://anschrift.wordpress.com/my-k...-the-youtuber/

He don't have to choose between Primary and Logical, I do.
        He choose something like "EFI system partition". I cannot choose something like that.
        Would it be possible that you write me what I should do or show me another tutorial please?

Cheers

Comment

If you already have Windows 10, it seems you should also be using UEFI -- with a GPT partition table (and an ESP partition already made for you (by Windows)). Strange deal here!
          An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

"it seems you should also be using UEFI"
            Thank you Qqmike for your answer. You might have right. Anyway the boot is small with two tabs:
            "Boot Menu" and "App Menu"
            There are three choices in the "Boot Menu":
            - Windows Boot Manager
            - ATA HDD0: WDC WD5000LPX
            - PCI LAN: IBA CL Slot 00FE
            and three choices in the "App Menu":
            - Setup
            - Diagnostic Splash Screen
            - Lenovo Diagnostics
            I don't know how to check UEFI.

Comment

Originally posted by nicrnicr View Post
              Dear All,

I made a 400 GB space at the right of the partition of Windows.
              I've been looking on how to install Kubuntu after Windows 10 in the internet. Almost everything is possible: primary, logical; one, two, three or more partitions; /, /home,... ; the size of swap should be twice that of the RAM, the same of the RAM or half of the RAM.
              Please, can somebody show me a good guidance?

Cheers
              Kubuntu would have allocated the space for you automatically and I would be more comfortable as Ubiquity (Ubuntu's installer) is yet to fail me. Anyway, back up your important files first. Boot Kubuntu cd/usb, select install, select manual. Find 400 GB slice, edit as file type ext4, mount point /. Find ESP or EFI partition and mount as "EFI System Partition" from the drop down list. If you don't see a drop down list or you can not find the appropriate entry, type the mount point as /boot/efi, file type fat32. Press next.

As it goes with this advice and the similar, I have no way to try this. I am sure Kubuntu will be installed just fine and am reasonably certain that Windows will be bootable but...
              If reinstalling the Windows will be too much hassle for you (if this goes South), you can try the automatic way. Boot windows, reclaim 400GB. Restart PC with Kubuntu usb, select install, select guided (automatic). installer will usually assign half the space to Kubuntu. You can adjust it using the slider. Adjust it to your needs and press next, next, next...

Forget primary, logical, etc they are not for UEFI systems and dated. You do not need a swap space, either. Kubuntu will create a swap file for you instead.

I rechecked your picture. We have to make sure if you are using UEFI. Since you're using win10, it should be UEFI but... If you have access to BIOS, you can verify it.
              Last edited by arsivci; Mar 23, 2022, 10:24 AM.

Comment

Thank you arsivci.
                I could find the BIOS which was wheter with F2, F10, F12 nor esc to have but with enter.
                I could there check UEFI.
                This time, the begining of the installation was like in the tutorials i.e. with a list of choices (Kubuntu, Windows) in a black screen with whom to boot.
                I choose Kubuntu and I was again confronted with the partition.
                This time I could choose EFI partition, what I did.
                I put after a swap and then a big Ext4.
                I was obliged to put logical partitions because otherwise I was obliged to install what would have be the primary EFI partition. I couldn't choose a set of partitions to install if they were primary.
                Then I installed and it crashed. It went south.

I could begin an installation again but it was late and I came again to the partition. I didn't know what to do. I turned off the computer and went to bed.
                Meanwhile I've been looking and searching again in the web. I learnt that since Kubuntu 20.04 there is no longer any need to create a swap partition because Kubuntu does it automatically.
                This morning as I wanted to install Kubuntu again. The computer keept on reseting. I'm afraid I wont ever be able to boot on Windows...

Anyway I have the choice to specifically begin to start from USB (independtly from the boot list of the BIOS which has no use here...).
                Wait and see...

Off topic:
                ​​​​​​​Washington [D.C.] Herald (December 21, 1912)
                Yesterday morning a box containing a luscious ham, a fat turkey, and an assortment of fruit and groceries lay temptingly in a wagon at Center Market belonging to H. C. Young, a farmer of Galen Green, M[arylan]d. When Mr. Young returned to his wagon a little later the box had "gone South."
                This example establishes that "gone South" was in use in Washington, D.C., in the slang sense of "disappeared" at least seven years before "headed south" showed up in the Elgin, Illinois, newspaper in the figurative sense of "went down in value."
                "The loss of manufacturing jobs in New England to new cheaper labor plants that opened from the Carolina to points further south. Especially textiles." could be an explanation of the origin of this idiom. Another one is
                "During the late 1800's Bandidos used to come across the border from Mexico to Rob and pillage. And then they would "go south"to return to their lairs. Hence the term "go south" is associated with something bad."

Comment

I made a 512 MB EFI Partition and a big Ext4 partition (both logical).

Once again
                  "Unable to install GRUB in /dev/sda
                  Executing 'grub-install /dev/sda' failed.
                  This is a fatal error."
                  is shown.
                  I clicked "OK" and thereafter the computer showed
                  "Installation failed - KDialog ?

The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run so that you may investigate the problem or try installing again."
                  Last edited by nicrnicr; Mar 24, 2022, 05:03 AM.

Comment

Ya know, for what it's worth, I documented how I did this in 2018, on a UEFI-BIOS machine. I'll drop the link for you; just maybe something there will trigger an idea for you. You do not have to do everything the same way I did it. Just read and get an overview and some details:

See Post #4 here:
                    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/forum/...-fixing-things

(That link has other how-to's on specific UEFI topics, also.)
                    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I made a 512 MB EFI Partition and a big Ext4 partition (both logical).
                      "logical" partitions are an MBR thing (originally to get around the fact that the MBR had only four slots for partitions). The concept doesn't apply to GPT.

This leads me to suspect that the disc is MBR, and UEFI must use GPT. If you right click the device in the partition manager and choose properties, or view->device information in GParted, the type of the partition table is shown.

Regards, John Little

Comment

Let's restart. Your disk is set up as one of the below:
                        1- DOS/MBR
                        2- DOS/GPT
                        3- UEFI/GPT.

And not only we have to make sure which, the live system has to boot in correct modei DOS or UEFI. If memory serves me right, 20.10+ will not install on DOS/MBR; you can upgrade to 20.10 via 20.04 though. I have an old machine set to DOS/GPT in order to install modern *buntus. Primary and logical partitions belong to DOS/MBR where you only create 4 primary partitions. So, in order to have more partitions you used create 3 primary and 1 logical partition (inside of which you can create 4 more). I apologize if you knew these already.

In DOS/GPT mode, we have multiple EFI partitions like this:
                        8MB empty partition type grub-something (I do not remember exactly).
                        /boot/efi fat32 Ubuntu Mate
                        / ext4 Mate root and user partition.
                        /boot/efi fat32 Kubuntu
                        / ext4 Kubuntu root and user partition.

The most recently installed distro's GRUB controls the boot process.

In UEFI/GPT mode we have a single ESP (EFI sys partitiom) where each installed distro's efi file (like kubuntuwhatever.efi) is written. Again the last installed one controls grub and the boot process.

Before proceeding further you have to make sure which is which via BIOS. If it says, DOS, MBR or legacy then it is DOS, otherwise it should read UEFI. Another thing to consider is if you really want dual boot. If you do, I suggest you try to make windows accessible first, you cannot install windows after you install Linux. Jlittle also suggested to use Gparted to verify the correct type, which is easier to do without messing with BIOS.

Comment

Thank you arsivci.
                          Off topic:
                          ​​​​​​​Washington [D.C.] Herald (December 21, 1912)
                          Yesterday morning a box containing a luscious ham, a fat turkey, and an assortment of fruit and groceries lay temptingly in a wagon at Center Market belonging to H. C. Young, a farmer of Galen Green, M[arylan]d. When Mr. Young returned to his wagon a little later the box had "gone South."
                          This example establishes that "gone South" was in use in Washington, D.C., in the slang sense of "disappeared" at least seven years before "headed south" showed up in the Elgin, Illinois, newspaper in the figurative sense of "went down in value."
                          "The loss of manufacturing jobs in New England to new cheaper labor plants that opened from the Carolina to points further south. Especially textiles." could be an explanation of the origin of this idiom. Another one is
                          "During the late 1800's Bandidos used to come across the border from Mexico to Rob and pillage. And then they would "go south"to return to their lairs. Hence the term "go south" is associated with something bad."
                          Thanks for the info. I have always assumed it is a graph related thing, like where a curve makes a downward turn.

Comment

Thank you very much Qqmike. I've been looking in your link. One of your documents gave me the idea to look for my error in the internet. I find someone who resolved my problem with boot-repair.
                            Therefore I did what he did but instead of repairing I prefered to receive a boot-info-summary that you can see here.

boot-repair-4ppa200 [20220324_2256]

============================== Boot Info Summary ===============================

=> Windows 7/8/10/11/2012 is installed in the MBR of /dev/sda.

sda1: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ntfs
                            Boot sector type: Windows 8/10/11/2012: NTFS
                            Boot sector info: No errors found in the Boot Parameter Block.
                            Operating System:
                            Boot files: /bootmgr /Boot/BCD

sda2: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System: Windows 8 or 10
                            Boot files: /bootmgr /Windows/System32/winload.exe

sda3: __________________________________________________ ________________________

Operating System:
                            Boot files:

sda4: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: Extended Partition
                            Boot sector type: Unknown
                            Boot sector info:

sda5: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: vfat

Boot sector type: FAT32
                            Operating System:
                            Boot files: /efi/BOOT/fbx64.efi /efi/BOOT/mmx64.efi
                            /efi/ubuntu/grubx64.efi /efi/ubuntu/mmx64.efi
                            /efi/ubuntu/shimx64.efi /efi/ubuntu/grub.cfg

sda6: __________________________________________________ ________________________

File system: ext4
                            Boot sector type: -
                            Boot sector info:
                            Operating System: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS
                            Boot files: /etc/fstab /etc/default/grub

sdb: __________________________________________________ _________________________

File system: iso9660
                            Boot sector type: Unknown
                            Boot sector info:
                            Mounting failed: mount: /mnt/BootInfo/FD/sdb: /dev/sdb already mounted or mount point busy.

================================ 2 OS detected =================================

OS#1: Windows 8 or 10 on sda2
                            OS#2: Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS on sda6

================================ Host/Hardware =================================

CPU architecture: 64-bit
                            Video: HD Graphics 620 from Intel Corporation
                            Live-session OS is Ubuntu 64-bit (Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, focal, x86_64)

===================================== UEFI =====================================

BIOS/UEFI firmware: N1XET39W (1.17 )(1.17) from LENOVO
                            The firmware is EFI-compatible, and is set in EFI-mode for this live-session.
                            SecureBoot enabled but mokutil says: SecureBoot enabled - Please report this message to boot.repair@gmail.com.
                            BootCurrent: 001D
                            Timeout: 2 seconds
                            BootOrder: 0000,0010,0011,0012,0013,0017,0018,0019,001A,001B, 001C,001D,001E,0022
                            Boot0000* ubuntu HD(4,MBR,0xf61f7603,0x82627fe,0x351b002)/HD(1,MBR,0x0,0x8262800,0xf4000)/File(\EFI\ubuntu\shimx64.efi)
                            Boot0010 Setup FvFile(721c8b66-426c-4e86-8e99-3457c46ab0b9)
                            Boot0011 Boot Menu FvFile(126a762d-5758-4fca-8531-201a7f57f850)
                            Boot0012 Diagnostic Splash Screen FvFile(a7d8d9a6-6ab0-4aeb-ad9d-163e59a7a380)
                            Boot0013 Lenovo Diagnostics FvFile(3f7e615b-0d45-4f80-88dc-26b234958560)
                            Boot0014 Startup Interrupt Menu FvFile(f46ee6f4-4785-43a3-923d-7f786c3c8479)
                            Boot0015 Rescue and Recovery FvFile(665d3f60-ad3e-4cad-8e26-db46eee9f1b5)
                            Boot0016 MEBx Hot Key FvFile(ac6fd56a-3d41-4efd-a1b9-870293811a28)
                            Boot0017* USB CD VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,86701296aa5a7848b66cd49dd3ba6a55)
                            Boot0018* USB FDD VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,6ff015a28830b543a8b8641009461e49)
                            Boot0019* ATAPI CD0 VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,aea2090adfde214e8b3a5e471856a35401)
                            Boot001A* NVMe0 VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,001c199932d94c4eae9aa0b6e98eb8a400)
                            Boot001B* ATA HDD1 VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,91af625956449f41a7b91f4f892ab0f602)
                            Boot001C* ATA HDD0 VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,91af625956449f41a7b91f4f892ab0f600)
                            Boot001D* USB HDD VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,33e821aaaf33bc4789bd419f88c50803)
                            Boot001E* PCI LAN VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,78a84aaf2b2afc4ea79cf5cc8f3d3803)
                            Boot001F* IDER BOOT CDROM PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x16,0x2)/Ata(0,1,0)
                            Boot0020* IDER BOOT Floppy PciRoot(0x0)/Pci(0x16,0x2)/Ata(0,0,0)
                            Boot0021* ATA HDD VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,91af625956449f41a7b91f4f892ab0f6)
                            Boot0022* PCI LAN VenMsg(bc7838d2-0f82-4d60-8316-c068ee79d25b,78a84aaf2b2afc4ea79cf5cc8f3d3803)

85fa9d77b929ec4231aba29476574eb6 sda5/BOOT/fbx64.efi
                            469e608783843a701d172242f016c79c sda5/BOOT/mmx64.efi
                            fa1bf1a7f90a852abe0bdbd089b7f1b0 sda5/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
                            469e608783843a701d172242f016c79c sda5/ubuntu/mmx64.efi
                            728124f6ec8e22fbdbe7034812c81b95 sda5/ubuntu/shimx64.efi
                            728124f6ec8e22fbdbe7034812c81b95 sda5/BOOT/BOOTX64.efi

============================= Drive/Partition Info =============================

Disks info: __________________________________________________ __________________

sda : notGPT, no-BIOSboot, has---ESP, not-usb, not-mmc, has-os, has-win, 2048 sectors * 512 bytes

Partitions info (1/3): __________________________________________________ _______

sda1 : no-os, 32, nopakmgr, no-docgrub, nogrub, nogrubinstall, no-grubenv, noupdategrub, not-far
                            sda2 : is-os, 32, nopakmgr, no-docgrub, nogrub, nogrubinstall, no-grubenv, noupdategrub, not-far
                            sda3 : no-os, 32, nopakmgr, no-docgrub, nogrub, nogrubinstall, no-grubenv, noupdategrub, farbios
                            sda5 : no-os, 32, nopakmgr, no-docgrub, nogrub, nogrubinstall, no-grubenv, noupdategrub, not-far
                            sda6 : is-os, 64, apt-get, signed grub-pc grub-efi , grub2, grub-install, grubenv-ok, update-grub, not-far

Partitions info (2/3): __________________________________________________ _______

sda1 : isnotESP, part-has-no-fstab, no-nt, no-winload, no-recov-nor-hid, bootmgr, is-winboot
                            sda2 : isnotESP, part-has-no-fstab, no-nt, haswinload, no-recov-nor-hid, bootmgr, notwinboot
                            sda3 : isnotESP, part-has-no-fstab, no-nt, no-winload, no-recov-nor-hid, no-bmgr, notwinboot
                            sda5 : is---ESP, part-has-no-fstab, no-nt, no-winload, no-recov-nor-hid, no-bmgr, notwinboot
                            sda6 : isnotESP, fstab-has-goodEFI, no-nt, no-winload, no-recov-nor-hid, no-bmgr, notwinboot

Partitions info (3/3): __________________________________________________ _______

sda1 : not--sepboot, no---boot, part-has-no-fstab, not-sep-usr, no---usr, part-has-no-fstab, no--grub.d, sda
                            sda2 : not--sepboot, no---boot, part-has-no-fstab, not-sep-usr, no---usr, part-has-no-fstab, no--grub.d, sda
                            sda3 : not--sepboot, no---boot, part-has-no-fstab, not-sep-usr, no---usr, part-has-no-fstab, no--grub.d, sda
                            sda5 : not--sepboot, no---boot, part-has-no-fstab, not-sep-usr, no---usr, part-has-no-fstab, no--grub.d, sda
                            sda6 : not--sepboot, with-boot, fstab-without-boot, not-sep-usr, with--usr, fstab-without-usr, std-grub.d, sda

fdisk -l (filtered): __________________________________________________ _________

Disk sda: 465.78 GiB, 500107862016 bytes, 976773168 sectors
                            Disk identifier: 0xf61f7603
                            Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
                            sda1 2048 1026047 1024000 500M 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
                            sda2 1026048 136718182 135692135 64.7G 7 HPFS/NTFS/exFAT
                            sda3 975775744 976769023 993280 485M 27 Hidden NTFS WinRE
                            sda4 136718334 176779263 40060930 19.1G 5 Extended
                            sda5 * 136718336 137717759 999424 488M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
                            sda6 137719808 176779263 39059456 18.6G 83 Linux

Partition table entries are not in disk order.
                            Disk sdb: 58.61 GiB, 62914560000 bytes, 122880000 sectors
                            Disk identifier: 0x5a83b7c0
                            Boot Start End Sectors Size Id Type
                            sdb1 * 0 5162175 5162176 2.5G 0 Empty
                            sdb2 5123264 5131263 8000 3.9M ef EFI (FAT-12/16/32)
                            sdb3 5165056 122879999 117714944 56.1G 83 Linux

parted -lm (filtered): __________________________________________________ _______

sda:500GB:scsi:512:4096:msdos:ATA WDC WD5000LPLX-0:;
                            1:1049kB:525MB:524MB:ntfs::;
                            2:525MB:70.0GB:69.5GB:ntfs::;
                            4:70.0GB:90.5GB:20.5GB:::;
                            5:70.0GB:70.5GB:512MB:fat32::boot, esp;
                            6:70.5GB:90.5GB:20.0GB:ext4::;
                            3:500GB:500GB:509MB:ntfs::msftres;
                            sdb:62.9GB:scsi:512:512:unknown:VendorCo ProductCode:;

Free space >10MiB: __________________________________________________ ____________

sda: 86318MiB:476453MiB:390135MiB

blkid (filtered): __________________________________________________ ____________

NAME FSTYPE UUID PARTUUID LABEL PARTLABEL
                            sda
                            ├─sda1 ntfs 383AA1103AA0CBE6 f61f7603-01 Réservé au système
                            ├─sda2 ntfs E2BEA3AFBEA37B25 f61f7603-02
                            ├─sda3 ntfs 80B8A873B8A8697C f61f7603-03
                            ├─sda4 f61f7603-04
                            ├─sda5 vfat A484-F0BD f61f7603-05
                            └─sda6 ext4 8259803d-d615-42cc-b337-e8b5b2cf8751 f61f7603-06
                            sdb iso9660 2021-02-09-19-24-16-00 Kubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS amd64
                            ├─sdb1 iso9660 2021-02-09-19-24-16-00 5a83b7c0-01 Kubuntu 20.04.2.0 LTS amd64
                            ├─sdb2 vfat 54C5-9C6C 5a83b7c0-02
                            └─sdb3 ext4 0745dbcc-2bb2-4495-8279-95640e372ed7 5a83b7c0-03 writable

Mount points (filtered): __________________________________________________ _____

Avail Use% Mounted on
                            /dev/disk/by-label/writable[/install-logs-2022-03-24.0/crash] 52.1G 0% /var/crash
                            /dev/disk/by-label/writable[/install-logs-2022-03-24.0/log] 52.1G 0% /var/log
                            /dev/sda1 469.4M 6% /mnt/boot-sav/sda1
                            /dev/sda2 16.2G 75% /mnt/boot-sav/sda2
                            /dev/sda3 84.2M 83% /mnt/boot-sav/sda3
                            /dev/sda5 481.8M 1% /mnt/boot-sav/sda5
                            /dev/sda6 10G 40% /target
                            /dev/sdb1 0 100% /cdrom

Mount options (filtered): __________________________________________________ ____

/dev/disk/by-label/writable[/install-logs-2022-03-24.0/crash] ext4 rw,relatime
                            /dev/disk/by-label/writable[/install-logs-2022-03-24.0/log] ext4 rw,relatime
                            /dev/sda1 fuseblk rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksi ze=4096
                            /dev/sda2 fuseblk rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksi ze=4096
                            /dev/sda3 fuseblk rw,relatime,user_id=0,group_id=0,allow_other,blksi ze=4096
                            /dev/sda5 vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,ioc harset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro
                            /dev/sda6 ext4 rw,relatime,errors=remount-ro
                            /dev/sdb1 iso9660 ro,noatime,nojoliet,check=s,map=n,blocksize=2048

===================== sda5/efi/ubuntu/grub.cfg (filtered) ======================

search.fs_uuid 8259803d-d615-42cc-b337-e8b5b2cf8751 root hd0,msdos6
                            set prefix=($root)'/boot/grub'
                            configfile $prefix/grub.cfg

========================== sda6/etc/fstab (filtered) ===========================

# <file system> <mount point> <type> <options> <dump> <pass>
                            # / was on /dev/sda6 during installation
                            UUID=8259803d-d615-42cc-b337-e8b5b2cf8751 / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1
                            # /boot/efi was on /dev/sda5 during installation
                            UUID=A484-F0BD /boot/efi vfat umask=0077 0 1
                            /swapfile none swap sw 0 0

======================= sda6/etc/default/grub (filtered) =======================

GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                            GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden
                            GRUB_TIMEOUT=0
                            GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
                            GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""

==================== sda6: Location of files loaded by Grub ====================

GiB - GB File Fragment(s)
                            69.443355560 = 74.564235264 boot/vmlinuz 2
                            69.443355560 = 74.564235264 boot/vmlinuz-5.8.0-43-generic 2
                            83.141880035 = 89.272913920 boot/initrd.img 2
                            83.141880035 = 89.272913920 boot/initrd.img-5.8.0-43-generic 2
                            83.141880035 = 89.272913920 boot/initrd.img.old 2

===================== sda6: ls -l /etc/grub.d/ (filtered) ======================

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 17622 Jan 13 2021 10_linux
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 42359 Jan 13 2021 10_linux_zfs
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12894 Jan 13 2021 20_linux_xen
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 12059 Jan 13 2021 30_os-prober
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 1424 Jan 13 2021 30_uefi-firmware
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 214 Jan 13 2021 40_custom
                            -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 216 Jan 13 2021 41_custom

======================== Unknown MBRs/Boot Sectors/etc =========================

Unknown BootLoader on sda4

00000000 ee 06 d2 9b 47 07 6c 0f 0f 98 d9 1e a5 0e 90 ae |....G.l.........|
                            00000010 95 94 a3 09 e2 02 90 d1 e7 28 2e 32 08 71 08 08 |.........(.2.q..|
                            00000020 fb a6 f4 10 25 33 18 ee a4 13 9e ec 9f 10 cc 26 |....%3.........&|
                            00000030 83 1d 45 d5 3f 8e 48 dd 16 97 18 1a a6 04 92 be |..E.?.H.........|
                            00000040 79 4d 95 80 0f b9 82 88 f0 6e 0e be 07 d3 b1 3e |yM.......n.....>|
                            00000050 21 57 b5 00 40 82 1c 8b 10 bb f4 c4 ca 0c cd b5 |!W..@...........|
                            00000060 88 8c 36 b7 f1 84 02 aa 27 3d ac 6b 90 9a 03 01 |..6.....'=.k....|
                            00000070 80 07 58 bd 20 30 f0 82 33 60 10 58 bc ff cb a8 |..X. 0..3`.X....|
                            00000080 c9 79 02 25 00 fb 71 6c 2b 4b b1 01 2e 58 25 16 |.y.%..ql+K...X%.|
                            00000090 d5 33 1c 3d 03 bd 49 c1 03 55 e5 a9 3c 17 d8 2c |.3.=..I..U..<..,|
                            000000a0 4a 3b 51 b8 f0 4e 6b 3d a9 03 b9 06 d1 e6 81 a2 |J;Q..Nk=........|
                            000000b0 a1 53 5e 5e 09 65 e6 6d 77 97 e3 39 4a 1d 7b d0 |.S^^.e.mw..9J.{.|
                            000000c0 12 a5 3b 10 37 90 25 08 81 2b ae f0 03 4c d4 50 |..;.7.%..+...L.P|
                            000000d0 93 3f d3 56 98 dd 39 29 96 9b d5 c0 dd a1 15 35 |.?.V..9).......5|
                            000000e0 06 ce 14 b0 68 8b 8c 28 76 20 a3 76 2f 54 a1 37 |....h..(v .v/T.7|
                            000000f0 9f 8b a9 d6 64 9d e5 36 20 ca e6 15 8f f5 25 d4 |....d..6 .....%.|
                            00000100 3b 6e 93 fe 08 9e 37 c0 2d 79 09 00 fc 78 d1 75 |;n....7.-y...x.u|
                            00000110 21 46 42 e2 2b ad 24 bf 37 6a 75 8e 2c 5d 22 51 |!FB.+.$.7ju.,]"Q|
                            00000120 1b 48 23 10 2c a1 0f 1e ac 75 94 1a f7 27 bc f9 |.H#.,....u...'..|
                            00000130 12 ea 5e 39 55 20 e3 0a c0 16 10 a4 2e f8 e0 d0 |..^9U ..........|
                            00000140 e4 95 20 a3 0f 98 e1 04 56 37 4b 0a eb 7a 72 b2 |.. .....V7K..zr.|
                            00000150 8c e4 0a 18 f4 fa a3 c5 b9 02 dc f2 42 e7 7d 19 |............B.}.|
                            00000160 18 d1 18 c9 5d 03 24 3b ae 50 fe 21 ed a9 2c 79 |....].$;.P.!..,y|
                            00000170 13 a5 97 31 0f 29 63 89 fa 32 40 fb a6 40 3f 87 |...1.)c..2@..@?.|
                            00000180 33 33 10 e0 68 25 c7 70 f9 ec fe 2e 20 bb f3 fb |33..h%.p.... ...|
                            00000190 2a cb 8c ac 4c 00 c4 20 c1 af 58 6c be ad c8 52 |*...L.. ..Xl...R|
                            000001a0 74 02 b5 3c 45 6f cc bf 00 39 74 60 90 2d b4 2d |t..<Eo...9t`.-.-|
                            000001b0 78 41 22 1f e0 fe 7a 71 de ba 47 ea 2e ba 80 fe |xA"...zq..G.....|
                            000001c0 ff ff ef fe ff ff 02 00 00 00 00 40 0f 00 00 fe |...........@....|
                            000001d0 ff ff 05 fe ff ff 02 40 0f 00 00 08 54 02 00 00 |.......@....T...|
                            000001e0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
                            000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

Unknown BootLoader on sdb

00000000 45 52 08 00 00 00 90 90 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |ER..............|
                            00000010 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
                            00000020 33 ed fa 8e d5 bc 00 7c fb fc 66 31 db 66 31 c9 |3......|..f1.f1.|
                            00000030 66 53 66 51 06 57 8e dd 8e c5 52 be 00 7c bf 00 |fSfQ.W....R..|..|
                            00000040 06 b9 00 01 f3 a5 ea 4b 06 00 00 52 b4 41 bb aa |.......K...R.A..|
                            00000050 55 31 c9 30 f6 f9 cd 13 72 16 81 fb 55 aa 75 10 |U1.0....r...U.u.|
                            00000060 83 e1 01 74 0b 66 c7 06 f3 06 b4 42 eb 15 eb 02 |...t.f.....B....|
                            00000070 31 c9 5a 51 b4 08 cd 13 5b 0f b6 c6 40 50 83 e1 |1.ZQ....[...@P..|
                            00000080 3f 51 f7 e1 53 52 50 bb 00 7c b9 04 00 66 a1 b0 |?Q..SRP..|...f..|
                            00000090 07 e8 44 00 0f 82 80 00 66 40 80 c7 02 e2 f2 66 |..D.....f@.....f|
                            000000a0 81 3e 40 7c fb c0 78 70 75 09 fa bc ec 7b ea 44 |.>@|..xpu....{.D|
                            000000b0 7c 00 00 e8 83 00 69 73 6f 6c 69 6e 75 78 2e 62 ||.....isolinux.b|
                            000000c0 69 6e 20 6d 69 73 73 69 6e 67 20 6f 72 20 63 6f |in missing or co|
                            000000d0 72 72 75 70 74 2e 0d 0a 66 60 66 31 d2 66 03 06 |rrupt...f`f1.f..|
                            000000e0 f8 7b 66 13 16 fc 7b 66 52 66 50 06 53 6a 01 6a |.{f...{fRfP.Sj.j|
                            000000f0 10 89 e6 66 f7 36 e8 7b c0 e4 06 88 e1 88 c5 92 |...f.6.{........|
                            00000100 f6 36 ee 7b 88 c6 08 e1 41 b8 01 02 8a 16 f2 7b |.6.{....A......{|
                            00000110 cd 13 8d 64 10 66 61 c3 e8 1e 00 4f 70 65 72 61 |...d.fa....Opera|
                            00000120 74 69 6e 67 20 73 79 73 74 65 6d 20 6c 6f 61 64 |ting system load|
                            00000130 20 65 72 72 6f 72 2e 0d 0a 5e ac b4 0e 8a 3e 62 | error...^....>b|
                            00000140 04 b3 07 cd 10 3c 0a 75 f1 cd 18 f4 eb fd 00 00 |.....<.u........|
                            00000150 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 |................|
                            000001b0 5c d6 45 00 00 00 00 00 c0 b7 83 5a 00 00 80 00 |\.E........Z....|
                            000001c0 01 00 00 9d e0 fc 00 00 00 00 c0 c4 4e 00 00 fe |............N...|
                            000001d0 ff ff ef fe ff ff c0 2c 4e 00 40 1f 00 00 00 82 |.......,N.@.....|
                            000001e0 42 41 83 ec 4c e0 00 d0 4e 00 00 30 04 07 00 00 |BA..L...N..0....|
                            000001f0 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 55 aa |..............U.|

Suggested repair: __________________________________________________ ____________

The default repair of the Boot-Repair utility would purge (in order to remove grub-efi) and reinstall the grub2 of
                            sda6 into the MBR of sda.
                            Grub-efi would not be selected by default because legacy Windows detected.
                            Additional repair would be performed: unhide-bootmenu-10s win-legacy-basic-fix

Blockers in case of suggested repair: __________________________________________

/target detected. Please close the Ubuntu installer, then retry.

Confirmation request before suggested repair: __________________________________

LegacyWindows detected. The boot of your PC is in EFI mode. You may want to retry after changing it to BIOS-compatibility/CSM/Legacy mode.
                            Are you sure you want to continue anyway?

Final advice in case of suggested repair: ______________________________________

Please set your BIOS in Legacy mode in order to start your Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, then type command [sudo update-grub] in order to add the Windows entry to your GRUB menu.

Comment

LegacyWindows detected. The boot of your PC is in EFI mode. You may want to retry after changing it to BIOS-compatibility/CSM/Legacy mode.
                              Are you sure you want to continue anyway?

Final advice in case of suggested repair: ______________________________________

Please set your BIOS in Legacy mode in order to start your Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS, then type command [sudo update-grub] in order to add the Windows entry to your GRUB menu. [/U][/FONT]
                              Did you upgrade this from win8 to win10?

Comment

Working...
                              X