Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

File 'radeon_ring_gfx' in directory 'o' already present!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

File 'radeon_ring_gfx' in directory 'o' already present!

Hello.
    Always, when suspend the computer, since few weeks ago I have this messages:

Code:
    [15133.295221] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_uvd' in directory '0' already present!
    [17135.125591] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_gfx' in directory 'o' already present!
    [17135.125594] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_dma1' in directory 'o' already present!
    Every time that I suspend, are more messages or repeat, after some days, my screen is full of this messages when suspend:

Code:
    [15133.279263] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_dma1' in directory 'o' already present!
    [15133.295221] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_uvd' in directory '0' already present!
    [17135.125591] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_gfx' in directory 'o' already present!
    [17135.125594] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_dma1' in directory 'o' already present!
    [17135.141552] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_uvd' in directory 'o' already present!
    [18556.705570] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_gfx' in directory 'o' already present!
    [18556.705573] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_dma1" in directory '0' already present!
    [18556.721534] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_uvd' in directory 'o' already present!
    [21409.187882] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_gfx' in directory 'o' already present!
    [21409.187885] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_dma1' in directory 'o' already present!
    [21409.203845] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_uvd' in directory '0' already present!
    [22407.938686] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_gfx' in directory 'o' already present!
    [22407.938689] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_dma1' in directory 'o' already present!
    [22407.954653] debugfs: File 'radeon_ring_uvd' in directory '0' already present!
    Appears, all work fine but....this error message....hum.... I don't know...

Regards.

It's not an "error", it's a really just a debug message. It's telling you that it tried to create a file that already exists - probably because you resumed from suspend instead of power off then on.

I suggest ignore it unless you are having issues with video.

Please Read Me

Comment

Hello.
      That's right, it tells me when I resume from sleep instead of powering off and on. I am a person who always fails. I can take 15 or 20 days in a restart...

Apparently everything works fine, no problem, so I omit said message, but before it didn't happen, I guess it will be from some kernel update, before it only output one line, it suspended as many times as it suspended, now, every time I suspend it adds 3 lines moreover, the only "inconvenience" is the "visual annoyance", otherwise, everything is fine, at least, for now, I do not detect errors with the graphics.

Thanks for the reply.

Comment

it is messaging, as opposed to errors per se, or warnings.

What kernel version are you running? There was a kernel update yesterday, so hopefully you have 5.13.0-28

super quick searching shows these
        https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=268566
        https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comm...n_directory_0/

Possibly some potential fixes, assuming that the issue in Arch was the same as what is happening now to you. Possibly trying to load both the 'radeon' driver as well ass the 'amdgpu' , most likely the preferred one.

Comment

Originally posted by wonder View Post
          the only "inconvenience" is the "visual annoyance"
          So you are seeing these messages on screen when you resume from sleep?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            it is messaging, as opposed to errors per se, or warnings.

What kernel version are you running? There was a kernel update yesterday, so hopefully you have 5.13.0-28

super quick searching shows these
            https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?id=268566
            https://www.reddit.com/r/debian/comm...n_directory_0/

Possibly some potential fixes, assuming that the issue in Arch was the same as what is happening now to you. Possibly trying to load both the 'radeon' driver as well ass the 'amdgpu' , most likely the preferred one.
            Yes, I have the kernel 5.13.0-28 (I try also the 3 lasts kernels).

This urls I view also before posting here but....like are for Arh...I think its possible not solved here, for me, but I can try...

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            So you are seeing these messages on screen when you resume from sleep?
            No, when resume from sleep no, is just when enter in sleep mode, when click in sleep...

Thanks and regards!

Comment

I have been looking at how to solve this problem, and I am not able, on the one hand "fear" makes me touch depending on what things, on the other hand, despite spending years in linux and specifically in kubuntu, there are things that I have not touched and. ..

As they say in my country, I don't know if you can give me a cable (even around my neck, lol) which means, I don't know if you can help me or guide me a little or something...

I looked at the links, but what has been said, there are points I don't see clearly what I should do...

And although everything works, it becomes annoying to see the following after suspending the computer several times, as indicated, it is not when I resume, it is when I put it to sleep:

Thanks a thousand in advance
              Last edited by wonder; Mar 11, 2022, 04:15 PM.

Comment

Hello,
                After reading, above all, the two links mentioned in this thread, which are the only ones I have found on the internet that are similar to my problem, the best solution I see is... but it is for Arch and indicating Southern Islands and Sea Islands versions and that... as far as I know... well, arch in another version that I haven't been able to "transfer" to kubuntu.

If Mainline kernel banned me, I've tried up to the latest 5.17 and I have the same problem, so the latest 5.12.19 is the one that works for me, I know I can install it through mainle uku but... it doesn't install the hwe (or so it seemed to me) from kubuntu.
                Since I already uninstalled 5.12.x, is it possible to "re-install" the kernel compiled for kubuntu in version 5.12.x?

It's not a solution, it's more of a "fudge" but for now, while I see how to get the bug out or see how to solve it... for now it's my best option...

I've already had two freezes after resuming from suspend...

Comment

Hello again... )

I think, at least it seems to me, I have a "serious" problem with this. I searched for information on the internet, there is little, it refers to Arch, I don't know how to transfer it to kubuntu, it is necessary to modify the kernel, but when a new kernel comes in... it will happen again.

Verified, it happens from kernel 5.13, all previous versions don't happen, right now I'm on 5.12.19 to avoid the problem, and this morning, I installed the latest 5.17.xx and worse still, more graphical errors. ..

There are many versions with this problem, from 5.13 to the current 5.17.xx, so it doesn't seem like it will be solved...

For people like me, everyone, from the same kernel version, logically...

I wanted to try the live of the new 22.04, in live mode, the same thing happens so it led me to the doubt of whether to update to 22.04 (fresh install) or stay in 20.04 with 5.12.19.

Really, I find it hard to believe that this problem exists and there are few of us who have it, a patch or similar has not come out...

I don't know how to port a kernel bug, from o.s. yes, but not kernel...

Honestly, I don't know what steps to take or what to do, this is very strange to me...

Comment

I'm still not seeing a "problem" unless it's just that you don't want to see these messages.

What most people do when there's a kernel problem is go back to the previous one that worked and wait out a fix for the bug. If you're installing "off-campus" kernels from mainline using uuku then you're not likely to find much help here. Very few of us do that.

As far as installing other kernels from the normal PPA channels, just do this in Konsole:

apt-cache search linux-image-5

and you get a LONG list of all the available kernels. You can shorten it if you know what series you want like:

apt-cache search linux-image-5.11

or to get only the standard kernels

apt-cache search linux-image-5 |grep generic

I've not seen 5.12 released by Ubuntu so I can't say were you got that series from. Here, I see only 5.4, 5.8, 5.11 and 5.13 unless you install an OEM kernel or some other variant. Then you might see 5.6, 5.10, and 5.14, but I still see no 5.12.

Please Read Me

Comment

From what I saw via Google, the 5.12 kernel was for "development use only".
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I suspect this "problem" will become an actual problem soon enough.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          I'm still not seeing a "problem" unless it's just that you don't want to see these messages.
                          Yes, it has become a problem. I don't care about the visual message, that's not a problem for me, it's just a visual thing.
                          It becomes a problem, after a few times that I suspend, the screen is already full of said message (I have not been able to know exactly after how many times), my computer freezes / crashes, it does not resume from suspension, having to do a hard reset, something that never happened to me before.

What most people do when there's a kernel problem is go back to the previous one that worked and wait out a fix for the bug. If you're installing "off-campus" kernels from mainline using uuku then you're not likely to find much help here. Very few of us do that.
                          That's what I've done, go back to the last kernel that worked for me.

As far as installing other kernels from the normal PPA channels, just do this in Konsole:

apt-cache search linux-image-5

and you get a LONG list of all the available kernels. You can shorten it if you know what series you want like:

apt-cache search linux-image-5.11

or to get only the standard kernels

apt-cache search linux-image-5 |grep generic

I've not seen 5.12 released by Ubuntu so I can't say were you got that series from. Here, I see only 5.4, 5.8, 5.11 and 5.13 unless you install an OEM kernel or some other variant. Then you might see 5.6, 5.10, and 5.14, but I still see no 5.12.
                          Thanks for this indication, indeed now I am using Ubuntu Mainline (ukuu is no longer operational) and from there I mount the kernels.

I have deduced that it was 5.12 that was installed by the official Kubuntu route, if you tell me it does not appear and it is only for developers, so what I did, with Ubuntu Mainline, was to try until I reached the one that worked for me, and there I saw 5.12.19, but perhaps through the official kbuntu route it was 5.11, I don't know, I'm sure that from 5.13 the problems come.

I stay on 5.12 but I can mount 5.11, wait for it to be corrected but...we go for 5.17 and the problem continues.

If I install kubuntu 22.04 it comes....if I remember correctly....with 5.15 (I don't remember which one it comes with) but if I have verified that, using 22.04 live mode, the problem continues, the only option would be to install the 5.11.

That said, thanks for the indications to install the kernel in an "official" way through the kubuntu channels, now I will install 5.11.

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                          From what I saw via Google, the 5.12 kernel was for "development use only".
                          As I mentioned before, maybe it was not installed through kubuntu, jumping to 5.13 and having the problem (I had several versions of 5.13 and I only have 2, 3 or 4 kernel versions), maybe I uninstalled 5.11 and through Ubuntu Mainline I installed 5.12 and I saw that this one works fine for me.

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                          I suspect this "problem" will become an actual problem soon enough.
                          For me it is, I can't suspend the computer more than x times, if I do that, the computer crashes / freezes and I have to do a hard reset, that's my problem, not the visual one.
                          Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 22, 2022, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Maybe you're assuming the messages - also reported elsewhere and apparently kernel related - are the cause of crash/freezing when maybe it's something else? I didn't see any reports from others of these messages resulting in crashes, but their weren't that many reports that I could find. You might consider reviewing log files the next time it occurs.

Also, now I'm a little confused: I suggested you go back to a previous kernel which did not cause the messages to display, you stated you did that, but your computer can still only suspend X number of times before crashing? If this is the case, it seems very unlikely the source of the kernel debug messages is the cause of the freezing.

Please Read Me

Comment

Maybe my English is not very good, I suppose that maybe not, I confirm it.

Indeed, there is not much information about this matter, in Google / Internet I have only found a few posts. They do not indicate blocking like mine, maybe it's because I never turn off PC, always suspending.

I can confirm that the cause is the kernel (kernel versions that, when I suspend, I have these messages / messages), it takes me to happen since the kernel 5.13 came out, I have had time to try, only happens when I have Kernel 5.13 or higher (Kernel That gives this message at the time of suspending).

After x suspensions (can be after 6 or 7 days with an average of 2, 3 or 4 minimum suspensions per day) when I arrive at that sixth or seventh day (without restart, only suspensions) then I get that blockade when resuming .

Same software, change to Kernel 5.11 or less, no problem, I can be 20 days without restarting.

Therefore, yes, I think I can confirm it.

Review log files, I do not know what I have to review, the info found is focused on arch with different versions that, for my knowledge, I am not able to move here, Kubuntu.

About Kernel 5.11 or lower version, yes, there is where maybe I did not explain well, with a version 5.11 or lower, I have no problem, no blocking, I can be 30 days without restarting, always suspending, no problem.

I give me the impression ... I don't know, it probably happens to few more people, very little, I don't know, I exposed this post to see how to solve it, I can make mistakes, but before posting, I did all the tests that are in my hand .
                              Last edited by wonder; Apr 22, 2022, 05:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X