This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[RESOLVED] Did Some Updates

Installed a new 1 TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, re-installed 20.04.3 LTS and upgraded to 16GB RAM. All went well. I had a written plan beforehand, and kept notes. Everything is fine.

Based on a thread that GG had in KDE Neon, I installed kernel 5.13.0 using the linux-oem-c package. A reboot and the kernel is working fine. I'm not removing 5.11.0-46 for now, JIC.

My only question is, as this seems to count as a manual kernel install will this kernel receive auto updates?
    Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 19, 2022, 08:20 AM.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

If you installed a new kernel series you should get updates like normal. I have had a problem in the past using 18.04 when I jumped to the 5.8 series from the "stock" kernel. But on 20.04, I installed the 5.13 kernel and the next day got an upgrade. I tend to keep the last bootable kernel of the previous series - just in case. Drive space is cheap so why not?

Please Read Me

Comment

fwiw 5.13 just today became the current HWE kernel in Focal
      So I think you will get updates as per normal. I don't think the linux-oem-c meta-package would effect this, but I am not sure.

I believe at some point, updates to 5.13 may push the 5.11 kernels out. That's how it went when the 5.8 was replaced by 5.11.
      Oddly I have a 5.4 still, even though I did a fresh install on a new drive when 5.8 was still the current HWE kernel.

Comment

O.K., I was just curious about the manual install aspect, sounds like all is well. I'll just keep watch. Anyway, it's not too long until 22.04 LTS final shows up. Thanks oshunluvr and claydoh!
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

As to being manually installed, I think this would be if you installed a specific kernel package as opposed to a meta-package.
          Installing linux-image-5.13.0-25-generic versus linux-generic-hwe-20.04, or linux-oem-c package, for example.

To see the marks of the meta-packages and the individual kernel packages:
          apt-mark showmanual linux-*
          apt-mark showauto linux-*

Comment

My initial oem kernel automatically updated to 1022-oem, which later updated to 1026-oem, which is my current kernel.

Currently the only issue I am having is that my left button on my Logitech m325 mouse stops working, usually when I am browsing with FF96.

xinput shows:
            Code:
            $ xinput --list
            ⎡ Virtual core pointer                          id=2    [master pointer  (3)]
            ⎜   ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer                id=4    [slave  pointer  (2)]
            ⎜   ↳ SYNA32B5:00 06CB:CE17 Mouse               id=11   [slave  pointer  (2)]
            ⎜   ↳ SYNA32B5:00 06CB:CE17 Touchpad            id=12   [slave  pointer  (2)]
            ⎜   ↳ Logitech M325                             id=9    [slave  pointer  (2)]
            ⎣ Virtual core keyboard                         id=3    [master keyboard (2)]
               ↳ Virtual core XTEST keyboard               id=5    [slave  keyboard (3)]
               ↳ Power Button                              id=6    [slave  keyboard (3)]
               ↳ Video Bus                                 id=7    [slave  keyboard (3)]
               ↳ Power Button                              id=8    [slave  keyboard (3)]
               ↳ HP TrueVision HD Camera: HP Tru           id=10   [slave  keyboard (3)]
               ↳ AT Translated Set 2 keyboard              id=13   [slave  keyboard (3)]
               ↳ HP Wireless hotkeys                       id=14   [slave  keyboard (3)]
               ↳ HP WMI hotkeys                           [/FONT]
            and I reactivate my left mouse button by issuing in a Konsole:
            xinput --enable 11
            xinput --enable 9
            Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 18, 2022, 12:23 PM.
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks for the tips, claydoh
              I get these;
              Code:
              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]apt-mark showauto linux-* [/COLOR]
              linux-base
              linux-firmware
              linux-headers-5.11.0-46-generic
              linux-headers-5.13.0-1026-oem
              linux-headers-5.13.0-25-generic
              linux-headers-generic-hwe-20.04
              linux-headers-oem-20.04c
              linux-hwe-5.11-headers-5.11.0-46
              linux-hwe-5.13-headers-5.13.0-25
              linux-image-5.11.0-46-generic
              linux-image-5.13.0-1026-oem
              linux-image-5.13.0-25-generic
              linux-image-generic-hwe-20.04
              linux-image-oem-20.04c
              linux-libc-dev
              linux-modules-5.11.0-46-generic
              linux-modules-5.13.0-1026-oem
              linux-modules-5.13.0-25-generic
              linux-modules-extra-5.11.0-46-generic
              linux-modules-extra-5.13.0-25-generic
              linux-oem-5.13-headers-5.13.0-1026
              linux-sound-base[/FONT]
              and

Code:
              [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]apt-mark showmanual linux-* [/COLOR]
              linux-generic-hwe-20.04
              linux-oem-20.04c[/FONT]
              Kind of a mixed bag, but I'm assuming that since the actual kernel images and modules show up as auto, that it will be fine. But, you know what "they" say about "assume"

Comment

GreyGeek that's weird about the mouse button. My Logitech M310 has no issues, but then again it is a different model

Comment

Got kernel updates this morning. It's all good.

Made a couple of font size adjustments to accommodate old eyes and other ocular acuity issues. This one year old (to me) HP laptop is more awesomer every day

Comment

Working...
                  X