Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, I reinstalled the system, formatting root partition but leaving /home alone (there's a joke about a film in there somewhere...) and have updated the system and rebooted. All works fine but the kernel s 5.4.0-60, and it is no longer telling me there are any updates. Is this correct? I thought 5.8.xxx was out?

Thanks

Comment

Boot functional last good config
      THEN
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install [COLOR=#242729][FONT=Arial]linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-36-generic[/FONT][/COLOR]
      Reboot, worked for me!
      Last edited by BrendonLucas; Jan 09, 2021, 01:54 PM. Reason: error

Comment

Originally posted by BrendonLucas View Post
        Boot functional last good config
        THEN
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install [COLOR=#242729][FONT=Arial]linux-modules-extra-5.8.0-36-generic[/FONT][/COLOR]
        Reboot, worked for me!
        Did you have the network and sound error? I think it was that kernel version that messed up my system! Just find it strange my updates are not even asking me to update...?

Cheers!

Comment

If I remember right, when I was having problems with sound and network after upgrading to the new kernel, it was the 'linux-modules-extra-etc.' that came the next day or so and fixed the problem. This happened twice. I'm now on 5.8.0-37 and haven't had the problem for the last two updates, and the 'module-extras' portion has come with both updates (i checked), so that may have been the problem. Why, I have no idea!

Comment

Thank you very much for that oldgeek, gives me a little confidence updating to 5.8.0-37. Any idea why my current system is saying there are no updates despite only running 5.4.0-60?

Cheers!

Comment

Take a read here.
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Interesting, thanks. I'm just curious as to why my system updated to 5.8.0-36 using Discover, yet now after reinstalling the system Discover is saying no updates, and I'm running 5.4.0-60. Any thoughts why that may be the case?

I think I'll leave it for now, but I'm just a little weary that my system won't update itself properly now...

Thanks again.

Comment

I think (but am not sure) that LTS versions tend to stick with the same kernel version (in your case, 5.4) and only updates to changes in that particular kernel. I'm using 20.10, and that came with the 5.8 kernel, so it updates within that. As far as I know, the 5.4 kernel will be a part of the 20.04 release until it reaches end of life.

Comment

I think the 5.8 kernel update for 20.04 was an error, as only some got this and it seems to have been pulled/fixed as new installs are not getting this kernel via updates. .
                    Normally, this only would appear on LTS installs using the second LTS point release ISO - here, 20.04.2, due in February, or manually enabling it:

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

This so-called 'HWE stack' gives LTS users more current kernels throughout its lifespan, and has been around at least since 12.04.

Comment

I stand corrected. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
                        I think (but am not sure) that LTS versions tend to stick with the same kernel version (in your case, 5.4) and only updates to changes in that particular kernel. I'm using 20.10, and that came with the 5.8 kernel, so it updates within that. As far as I know, the 5.4 kernel will be a part of the 20.04 release until it reaches end of life.
                        Thanks for that. Just seems odd though that my version did update to the 5.8 kernel (when it decided to break my network and sound), but hasn't update to that since? Strange!

Cheers.

Comment

I have suffered the same network failure after updating the system, latest occurred yesterday. System runs fine prior to that, even after the first system update post-install, but the 2nd update crashes my network. I switched to 20.10 this morning, and have no problems. That is to say, no problems running, but finally discovered why all my install attempts since 20.04.1 have crashed, due to the new boot configuration. Sometimes ignorance isn't as bad as it seems, because I found that if I just let the desktop bug report screen appear, I could do a software update, and successfully complete the install. This doesn't work with Xubuntu, the install doesn't go far enough to have a quasi-working system, so kudos to Kubuntu in this regard.

Comment

I am having the same problem with network/video on my machine. I have done a fresh install from the latest 20.04.1; everything works fine. Update, reboot and the video is 640x480 and I have no network interfaces.

Comment

Hello again:

I want to continue with this post because I think this can help to fix this problem.

After installing kubuntu and kde neon I have realized that you can have with the Grub program as long as this grub has a kernel 5.8 or higher. Internet sometimes fails, sometimes it works, I have even restarted the pc from grub starting windows 10 and it turns out that windows 10 appears without network devices and I have to restart the pc several times. I have one SSD with kubuntu and kdeneon and other ssd with windows 10. My boot list in grub is as follows:

-Kde Neon
                              -Windows boot.
                              -Kubuntu

Kde neon have 5.4.71 kernel and it is this grub but if grub is installed with kubuntu then newtwork fails.

Comment

Working...
                              X