This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't connect to network after update

I just installed the stable update. A notification came, restart is required. I restarted and now my WiFi, bluetooth adaptor is not detected. Usb for file transferring works, but not for usb tethering. Please help!

Welcome to KFN, prabu!

If you're still having your problem, try unplugging your modem and router (if you haven't already), leave them off for 10 seconds or so, then plug them back in and let them come back up. Still no connection?
    Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Same issue here, Network & sound not avail, quick work around, reboot, select previous kernel from grub. LTS Update, clearly not tested well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by BrendonLucas View Post
        Same issue here, Network & sound not avail, quick work around, reboot, select previous kernel from grub. LTS Update, clearly not tested well enough.
        Came here to post the very same thing. No network (wired ethernet). I do not have a GRUB menu so not sure how I can get around this? Not good if they release an update to fix it but you can't get online to fix it!?

Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks

edit - I've just tried booting using a live version and that has internet access. Short of doing a new install (which would likely mess up again come the time it updates) what's the likely best option? If the release an update how do I update my current install from the live version, if possible? Thanks!
        Last edited by CanyonRoss; Jan 07, 2021, 02:38 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CanyonRoss View Post
          I do not have a GRUB menu...
          Unless you've installed another bootloader, in which case I imagine you'd know about it, grub is the bootloader but the menu is hidden. You're supposed to be able to unhide the menu by pressing a key, maybe escape, or hold down shift, at the right time during the boot, but I've never succeeded with that.

If the press a key thing doesn't work you can edit /etc/default/grub to change GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=hidden to GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=menu and make sure GRUB_TIMEOUT is not zero, then in a konsole run sudo update-grub. (Or hack the /boot/grub/grub.cfg yourself as I would, but the generated grub.cfg is a mess.)

It would be cool if the previous kernel gets your connectivity back, but I wouldn't be surprised if it doesn't. Something's gone wrong, but we can't be sure what IMO. It may be that restoring to a backup and reapplying the exact same update would have no problem.

Cue (usually not very helpful) aphorisms about backups, or having some kind of snapshot before doing updates.

HTH,
          Regards, John Little

Comment

Thank you so much for your helpful reply! Indeed I knew I was running Grub but yes, the menu was hidden. I booted to the previous kernel and Internet connectivity has been restored.

RE moving forwards, is it safe to keep running this kernel, and perhaps try to update again in a week or so in the hope that it's been fixed? Not sure what to do moving forwards. Would rather not need to do a clean install to get up-to-date "proper", so to speak.

Many thanks once again.

Comment

I'm not sure moving forward. I suspect the kernel update has been pushed through for a security reason, as on 20.10 I've just got a kernel update again only a day or so since the previous one. Perhaps others have more experience with your situation; it's over 10 years since I usefully used an older kernel. I suggest being well backed up before future updates, and considering moving to btrfs so that updates can be reversed in seconds.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Thanks.

It's a pretty big mistake to release an update that causes a loss of Internet activity, because the end user cannot easily get the update they (hopefully!) release to fix it! I'm not sure if running this kernel I'm now on will update to a version that doesn't have the network issue, once the network issue has been fixed.

Comment

I had this problem with Groovy on the last two kernel updates. Usually within a day or two some new kernel updates came through and that solved the problem. I just updated the kernel to 5.8.0-36 yesterday, and there was no problem this time.

Comment

Thanks. How did you update the kernel if you had no Internet access?

If I choose 5.8.0-36 I have no network access 😔
                    Last edited by CanyonRoss; Jan 08, 2021, 11:49 AM. Reason: More information

Comment

I just ran into this myself today. Thought it was an error on my end so I've reinstalled and messed with drivers already far more than I'd care to recount. Any ideas on which specific caused it? Perhaps something we can keep from updating to get a decent install working in the meantime?

Comment

This is likely related to kernel drivers (and specific to particular devices), so with recent kernel updates it is worth booting to a previous one via the grub menu and seeing if it works there.

Network hardware info would be useful to those attempting to help troubleshoot/reaearch.

Comment

When I had this problem I re-booted to the previous kernel until the new updates came. I had another two kernel updates today. one involving Nvidia 390 driver and the other an update to 5.8.0-37. I have not had the missing audio and network capabilities with the last two kernel updates, so I guess it 'fixed itself'.

Comment

I'll try to boot it up later today and see if I can update it from one of the older kernels. Hopefully it'll help!

Comment

OK so the latest Kernel that works for me with my graphics drivers is 5.4.0-56. If I boot to 5.4.0-59 my nvidia drivers aren't working (and won't autoinstall, it says package not found), 5.4.0-60 doesn't boot at all, and 5.8.0-36 or 5.8.0-34 get the network errors.

Does anyone know why, when running 5.4.0-56 it is not seemingly asking me to update my kernel? I'm worried that if this problem is fixed with another update I will not receive it.

Many thanks!

edit - worryingly so, if I do "sudo apt update" it thinks it's up to date, so isn't thinking I need a kernel update. Any thoughts on what I should do!? I'm beginning to think I'll need to reinstall my system which would force a fresh update?
                              Last edited by CanyonRoss; Jan 09, 2021, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X