This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMB2 access from Android devices

With Kubuntu 20.04 and with it Samba 4.11, it seems as SMB1 is no longer supported. On my single PC LAN access from Android devices is my only interest, and have made this short video https://youtu.be/3OV73KHJNmA Hopefully of interest https://tinyurl.com/y7a7lsng

On a multi PC LAN I guess all PCs incl. Windows PCs, will have to move onto SMB2 (or higher) and say goodbye password-free access.

Doesn't look like you're actually asking for any help, but samba 4 dropped SMB1 support as a default - mainly because it's a huge security hole - but you can still enable it.

Since SAMBA is a Windows protocol, Windows 10 supports SMB1, 2, or 3, Windows 7 and above for sure support 1 and 2, not sure about 3, so I have no idea where you got that info.

Finally, passwordless support is still there if you know how to configure it properly. Google "samba force user" or with windows server look at Control Panel > Network and sharing center > Change advanced sharing settings > Enable Turn Off password protect sharing option

I found this also:
    Enable SMB1 support in Ubuntu 18.04Open /etc/samba/smb.conf file on your Ubuntu server
    Add the following statement in the global settings section of the file:
    Code:
    [global]
    ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted

Restart the SAMBA server

sudo service smbd restart

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you oshunluvr I assumed that a Windows PC running aspasswordless SMB1 server would have problems simultaneously running as SMB2 client with password. From you comments I understand that this assumption was wrong, I apologize!

As to "ntlm auth = ntlmv1-permitted" I wondered if it also works with 20.04, so I tested it with my Android clients. Yes, it worked for me with SMB2 clients (but not with SMB1 clients).

Comment

No, do not need the ntlmv1-permitted to access with SMB2 client without password after removing my smbuser password from the SMB2 server! Was ntlmv1-permitted supposed to permit SMB1 client?
        Last edited by hallergard; Jul 19, 2020, 05:17 AM.

Comment

Sorry, I'm no expert in samba . I set mine up years ago on my 18.04 server and haven't touched it. I did find this article: https://askubuntu.com/questions/1037...us-to-use-smb1

Please Read Me

Comment

AFAIK, no file shares should be using SMBv1 any more, it's just too easily hacked. Most people that have to enable SMBv1 are doing so for older printers and scanners that don't support the higher protocols.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanks, I am happy to use SMBv2 for Linux, and was preparing to move Windows onto SMBv2 as well. Discovered a problem though: VLC (v.3.2) for Android does not support Samba v. 4.11, so I am hesitant about SMBv2 for Windows until that is sorted. I only need this for my Sony Bravia Android TV streaming videos from my PC. (not sure if this VLC would work with Windows SMBv2)

Comment

Moved Windows on by unticking SMB1 Server in Windows Features (keeping the tick for SMB1 client to access a USB on the Router - on Linux a cifs entry in fstab).

Using no passwords anywhere, or maybe more correctly the password is "blank"

Android VLC does not work with Windows SMB2 server either.

Comment

Working...
                X