X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin - network drive access problem in 20-04

Dear All,

I have recently installed the 20-04 version of Kubuntu.
    I am now unable to access my hard drive down the hall on the network using Dolphin. This worked fine in Kubuntu 18-04.
    This is a deal breaker as I keep all our files on this hard drive so that they are also accessible from my wife's Windows laptop, and do not vanish when I need to install Linux again.

I gather from the technical discussions I have read here, that Dolphin has been changed to reject old networked hard drives.
    The methods that might resolve this are not understandable to me, I am not a programmer.

I have resolved the problem by changing the machine to a dual boot system for 18-04 and 20-04 and using a FAT32 partition to carry the files I want from the networked hard drive to 18-04 to 20-04.
    This is not ideal...

Is there a button in Dolphin which I can press which will allow me to access the networked hard drive in 20-04 like I can in 18-04 ? Have I just missed something obvious (I have looked quite hard) ??

I am prepared to load another file manager - but I am rather used to Dolphin, as I have (eventually) discovered how to make it access Root files, so I can edit some config files for my radio programmes which reside there, for reasons best known to the programmers...

Help, please, Regards, Ed

Could you link to where this is?

I gather from the technical discussions I have read here, that Dolphin has been changed to reject old networked hard drives
    I've never heard the term "old networked hard drives". Network transfer protocols and Dolphin don't base connections on the age of a drive, so that can't be what you meant. I this is a new install of Kubuntu, it's likely you haven't installed or configured the samba client.

Please Read Me

Comment

By "old networked hard drives" do you mean using SMBv1? Even on Windows that's turned off by default these days, I think, being very insecure. Get malware on anything on your network, say a IoT device, and your data is <censored> ... compromised, at the least.

I have little experience with SMB and samba, I haven't used it for many years, but I found a workaround on reddit posts that might stir someone more knowledgeable on KFN into posting about it:
      Originally posted by reddit
      add this line to the [global] section of /etc/samba/conf:

client min protocol = NT1
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Dear oshunluvr &jlittle ,
        Thank you very much for your responses, I am a lot less computer savvy than you hope for :-(
        An old networked hard drive is just that - a hard drive bought at least 6 years ago attached to my network in my house.
        Yes, I have just installed 20-04 from DVD, not from Kubuntu 18-04 as I find it much easier to start from scratch - of course, then i have to keep my files somewhere else - which is on the hard drive down the hall.
        Yes, I haven't configured the Samba client, or anything else - 20-04 straight "out-of-the-box" :-)
        I am vaguely aware of what configuration of a programme entails, but I guess the configuration file may well be changed by later Linux updates, so I guess I shall have to keep adding the line (if it works) every time I lose access ??
        I may well mean SMBv1, but the hard-drive still works in Windows 10, so perhaps not ?

Well, I shall try finding the [global] section of /etc/samba/conf: and adding the line proffered - wish me luck :-/
        I'll let you know what happens...
        Regards, Ed

Comment

Dear oshunluvr & jlittle ,

I have put the line "client min protocol = NT1" into the [global] section of the file /etc/samba/smb.conf which I found, which seemed to match the one suggested.
          This seems to have worked as I can now see, and open a document on the drive in LibreOffice, modify it, and it is saved back correctly onto the drive.
          Yippee :-) many thanks.
          The hard drive has a Linux computer in it to manage the files, so I cannot do anything to change that system to a modern security arrangement.
          A slight peculiarity is that I did not initially see the directories on the hard drive, just "smb://nsa221/", but I knew one was called "public", so I put "smb://nsa221/public/" into Dolphin's address bar and it all became clear, access all areas :-)

I have (eventually) realised that this is a change in Samba, not in Dolphin, so I'd come to the wrong place.

May I ask you to propagate the resolution of the problem to the Samba team as you know how to speak the correct words :-) and it might resolve someone else's problem.

Another possibility is for a fallback arrangement to be included within Samba, so that if one system does not work, then there is a fallback to the older system, I've seen this used for old processors (I have one !) in the context of FFT calculations.
          This would automatically resolve the problem for people who can do even less than me - there must be a few ?

Regards, and many thanks, Ed

Comment

MAke sure the package:

kdenetwork-filesharing

Is installed.

Comment

I have been running my local network with SMB v.1 protocol, Windows and Linux, without passwords. But starting from Fedora 31 I had to move to v.2 (Samba from v. 4.11) and add user and password. Same from Kubuntu 20.04 and openSUSE 15.2. Could this be part of your problem?

Comment

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Spammer alert

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Not according to Stop Forum Spam. But, I've deleted the post. Let's see what happens next.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X