Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing OpenVPN Client or Server. What Do I Need?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing OpenVPN Client or Server. What Do I Need?

I know I want an Open VPN on my computer system. During my research, I've come across both the client and server versions of OVPN. I just want a simple to use VPN on my system so what do I need? Thanks.

"If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

1. Client= connect to a vpn server, for various purposes, including connecting to internal corporate networks, or to spoof one's location to hide things.
    2. Server= supplies the VPN service itself

I imagine you want #1?
    What do you feel you need one for?

You need to pay for such a service, and most often, that service provides a GUI client to connect and configure, or provides instructions on how to do so via other means
    Many have linux client GUI software (privateinternetaccess,), others (nord and Express) have command line but easy to use clients.

there are tons of providers, and review sites are 1000% sketchy, even the well known tech website reviews, so word of mouth helps a LOT.
    I am a long term user of Private internet Access, but other good choices are used by folks here, I am sure they will recommend others.

DO NOT and i mean DO NOT!!!!! use a 'free' VPN service. These are 99.999999999991% bogus, slow, and possibly malicious.

Comment

I use PIA also, and I agree with everything Claydoh says...

... at least on this topic.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I use PIA also, and I agree with everything Claydoh says...

... at least on this topic.
        Huh, *everybody* agrees with me, alda time!

Except when they don't

Comment

• Snowhog
          Snowhog commented
          Editing a comment
          I'd have to agree to disagree on the agreeing part.
      Working...
      X