Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My last SSD purchase was the Samsun 860 EVO 500Mb SSD for $79.99. I figured I'd wait awhile to buy another, thinking that the price would come down. Of course, I couldn't foresee the pandemic and supply shortages. When I checked Amazon a few minutes ago the drive setting in my cart was now $114.99. A 44% increase! The 1Tb is only $157.90, a little less than twice the old price of the 500Gb drive but also twice the capacity, making it proportionally the same price. Now, what would I do with the extra 500Gb?
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

There's something I omitted: during the install, when I tried to connect to my Wi-Fi network, it kept failing. I typed and re-typed what I KNOW to be the correct password, but no luck. After umpteen tries I was about to give up. Then a weird thought...

Note that when I set up the router last year, I deliberately and definitely used capital letters for the alpha in the password. Every time I give someone my password, I specify "all caps" and then make sure they're in before they leave the room.

Have you figured it out?

Yep, I tried lowercase.... CONNECTED!!!

WTF?!

Last night I worked on tweaking the overall appearance, and I can't get things back the way I had them. For one thing, I had this BEAUTIFUL butterfly splash-screen for login and splash, but I can't find it. I always searched using 'chameleon' and would find it right away. Now? It's not there. If I post a pic, maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I'll do that on an appropriate board.

There are a few other things not quite perfect yet, but it's only been 24 hours.
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

My Google Foo is pretty good, but I can't find that image (I used to have/use it) either.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Perhaps you can see it among these?
          https://duckduckgo.com/?q=image+butt...ages&ia=images
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Well, I found its wallpaper version at the KDE store, but can't find any hint of its splash screen version ever existing. This is how it looked on my previous laptop:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kubuntu_boot_splashscreen.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	349.6 KB
ID:	645217

I had it set for both login and splash screen; on the login screen it had username on top and password underneath, the way I like it. I've found some lovely other splash screens, but I really want my butterfly back!

I saved my entire $HOME directory from the old hard drive; is it possible it's buried in there somewhere? Maybe I can install it from a file or something?
            Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Working...
            X