Cannot install HP Deskjet 2722 printer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Wow, alizardx, using an elephant gun to kill a mouse is overkill, especially if the gun blows up in your face.

There are plenty of PC oscilloscope software that runs on Linux, here is a free download of one

But, installing Win11 in a VM to get a printer working? Insanity.
    My method worked. Nobody else's has. Wasted a week trying to get it running in linux. I suspect the problem is the HP driver
    Since I installed virtualbox years ago, installing win10 took about an hour. installing virtualbox a few minutes, in the repos.

That Linux scope software you recommended is currently incompatible with my scope. i tried it first.

i started using Linux as a daily driver back in 2004 right after discivering win4lin - since i was writng for publication, my Linux how-tos were necessarly written in Word

what's wrong with admitting linux can;t do everything yet? i'ts come a long way, i use it 99% of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by alizardx View Post
      what's wrong with admitting linux can;t do everything yet?
      Nothing. Nothing at all.

We all use what works 'for us'. That a particular approach might raise eyebrows doesn't mean it's wrong. The strength of Linux is the choices it affords to the user.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by alizardx View Post

My method worked. Nobody else's has. Wasted a week trying to get it running in linux. I suspect the problem is the HP driver
        Since I installed virtualbox years ago, installing win10 took about an hour. installing virtualbox a few minutes, in the repos.

That Linux scope software you recommended is currently incompatible with my scope. i tried it first.

i started using Linux as a daily driver back in 2004 right after discivering win4lin - since i was writng for publication, my Linux how-tos were necessarly written in Word

what's wrong with admitting linux can;t do everything yet? i'ts come a long way, i use it 99% of the time.
        As Snowhog says, nothing at all.

Way back when Microsoft suggested to peripheral vendors that they remove the CPU's from their devices and let Microsoft write their drivers to unitize the CPU in the computer the result was WinModem, WinPrinter, etc... After the peripheral vendors became dependent on Microsoft's drivers Microsoft demanded that they make their documentation proprietary and private. This forced FOSS developers to use "green rooms" to develop drivers because they didn't have access to the driver documentation and because of threats of "IP lawsuits". As a result, some drivers don't use all the features of some peripherals, making their use on Linux problematic.

For people new to Linux this can be a problem because they may have peripherals that worked fine under WinXX but work poorly or not at all under Linux, although this use case is rapidly diminishing. Others moving to Linux and then buying peripherals have to research carefully their peripheral choices before they buy to be sure drivers exist and work with the distro they chose.

About the time I moved to Kubuntu, in 2009, I purchased an HP P1606dn laser printer. The driver installed by HPLIP worked for several years, then quit. The problem was that HP's update required access to the root account and would not accept the home account password, even if you downloaded the driver and attempted to install it locally. One had to create a root account and password to install it to get the duplex printing feature to enable and even then there was no guarantee that it would work if one deleted the root account and began using sudo again. Then, about a year later during an update, the printer driver updated and duplex printing began working.

I was wondering if you ever tried to use WINE to install the print driver? IF you have installed WINE and then used a shared folder between the WinXX VM and Kubuntu, your WINE installation is susceptible to a WinXX virus.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
        X