This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cannot install HP Deskjet 2722 printer

Running KB 20.04, I have not been able to follow the usual Kubuntu route with a new printer to get this printer installed. I'm working on a modern laptop, but will be installing this printer on a friends 10-year-old Dell laptop once I figure out how. She is running KB 20.04 also.

I've done general searches on Google and specific searches here in the forum and found nothing that solves my problem. Here's what I've done:
    1. Turn on printer; plug in USB printer cable.
    2. Launch System Settings > Printers
    3. Click Add Printer and wait for it to resolve.
    4. Under "Discovered Network Printers", find "HP Deskjet 2700..." and click it to get Connection input panel. It wants a URI, and a link is given to information about how to get this. Clicking that takes me to http://localhost:631/help/network.html in my open browser. Following instructions there:
    5. "lpinfo --include-schemes dnssd -v" give no output at all.
    6. At this point I am reading about debugging SNMP and my brain is in over its head...

Frankly this is just a bit nuts.

Isn't there a better way? This is 2021 - and it's Ubuntu and HP! Don't they know about each other?

I'm open to any suggestions about how to go forward...where I'm standing the mud is pretty deep.

Check to see if you have the package hplip installed.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Nope. Not there. And thanks for your speedy response.

I'm checking it out, as I know nothing about this program.

Comment

Originally posted by tomcloyd View Post
        Nope. Not there. And thanks for your speedy response.

I'm checking it out, as I know nothing about this program.
        Yes, HPLIP is excellent and works for multiple HP printers. I use it for my Laserjet p1005. If you have HPLIP, you can also hit Alt+F2 and type "hp-setup" and it will walk you through a wizard to set up your printer. I've had way better luck with HPLIP than with just plugging the printer in via USB and having Kubuntu find the drivers.
        Kubuntu 22.04 (desktop & laptop), Windows 7 &2K (via VirtualBox on desktop PC)
        ================================

Comment

A a wifi printer, why bother plugging it in to the laptop?

However, there is a quirk to 20.04, where Ubuntu is using a tool to allow wired printers to act as if they were wireless, and thus require no driver at all.
          Try uninstalling ippusbxd and see if that allows the usb connection to be used as normal, or just unplug it and go wireless.
          For that, you may want to install hplip-gui to help set that up and get the printer connected to your local network.

Comment

First, thank-you to all three of you for your response!

I have hplip-gui installed from the packages. Following carefully the instructions given in that GUI, I have turned on my HP 2722 printer and plugged in the USB cable as instructed, to discover my supposedly wireless-capable device. Multiple tries, and I only ever get "error: No devices found on bus: USB"

Trying now to use the CUPS web interface - I've installed the printer twice. Kubuntu can see it. But all attempts to print a test page fail. I have had multiple sheets of paper run through the printer, and it sounds like print heads are moving, then the page comes out blank. This is a brand-new printer.

Trying yet again to make this process work, I am now unable to remove the printer in the System Setting printer interface.

Four hours. I am a bit incredulous that this is the best we all can do with this problem. God help us with the climate change challenge!

When all else fails, restart browser, and if that is not a fix, reboot. Gonna give it a try.

======

Update: Reboot was not a fix - well duh. I still cannot remove the installed HP 2700 printer using the System Settings Printer interface. Any suggestions?

Ignoring this problem,I'm going to try to reinstall this printer anyway.

======

Printer installed. I have no message telling me to disconnect the USB cable. When does that happen? The wireless button on the front panel is blinking, which is supposed to mean that the printer is either disconnected or still in setup mode. I don't know what I'm supposed to do about this. There is no control panel error code displayed.

Printing a test page gets me yet another beautiful entirely blank page, after a lot of noise suggesting that something IS being printed. There is no error report in the cups.org web interface.

The ink cartridges' tape IS removed. Again, there is no error report on the front panel suggesting what is wrong. I've spent 2+ hours pouring over the troubleshooting section in the owners manual. The section on catridge alignment (p. 88) offers nothing for a Linux OS. Wow.

It feels like I'm back in the hellish days of trying to istall a serial printer. OMG.

Suggestions?
            Last edited by tomcloyd; Jun 29, 2021, 08:50 PM.

Comment

Please look at claydoh's entry again.

There is no need to connect the printer via USB. My HP DJ3755 works perfectly as a wireless printer and was setup completely wirelessly. And, yes, I did go through all the hoops you are going through the first time that I tried to install it the "normal" way. So I ditched the cable, kept ippusbxd, and just let it install. I don't have the HP GUI installed, either.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                Please look at claydoh's entry again.
                hplip-gui specifically says to temporarily use a usb cable as part of the wireless "setup"; that's why I used it.

As I stated, the printer IS now seen by the KB printer setup routine: "Kind: HP Deskjet 2700 series, driverless, cups-filters 1.27.4" Trying to print a test page, I get yet another blank page. And the blue wireless button light never stops blinking.

Comment

Understand. I only used System Settings-> Printers to install my DJ3755 under 20.04. I also had problems under 18.04 with the HP printer setup process, which is why in the end I sent HP's stock HPLIP and HPLIP-GUI to the retirement home. I believe that *buntu uses a customized hplip and the "driverless" driver to support HP printers.

The only time my wireless light blinks is during printing, and if the printer gets turned on after my laptop boots. Yours could be an artifact of something left over after having HP's stock HPLIP/HPILP-GUI, but that is a real guess.
                  Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

The version of HPLIP in the 20.04 repository is 3.20.3. Support for the "HP DeskJet 2700 All-in-One Printer series" wasn't added until 3.20.5. The most recent version on the HP website is 3.21.4, which includes the driver for your printer and several fixes for Ubuntu 20.04. You might try downloading HP's newest driver and installing it.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Wow! I just told a friend (it's her printer I'm trying to get working on Kubuntu) that this is one of the two best forums I've ever participated in. (The Lilypond music-engraving software forum is the other.)

Having two new responses this morning - to a problem that I expected would get no more at this point - is both amazing and confirming.

I have long loved Kubuntu, but it was this forum and my historical experience with it that made me finally decide to return to Kubuntu after several years of exploring alternatives.

To all of you, and especially the veterans who have been here since the last ice age (you know who you are and so do I!) - a huge thank you. You folks are a large part of why Kubuntu is as persistently successful as it is.

All responses I've received have been helpful, and these last two appear likely to have zeroed in on the problem. I'll find out later today when I have a free moment.

Comment

From past experience there is a good chance the actual HP drivers support this printer even if the hplipgui utility software does not.

It is worth trying to simply uninstall uppusbxd and seeing if it works via USB properly.
                        It very possibly could get in the way of hplip- gui even if upgrading that so its is a good first step.

Uninstalling this package won't hurt anything.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Exactly! Try, and if necessary try something else. I'm sure there's more than one way to solve this - depending on where you start

Comment

It's still not installed. Here's my current situation:

1. hplip ver. 3.21.4 has been installed.
                            2. HP 2722 printer is turned on. Power light is solid white. Wireless light is blinking. (In days of working on this printer installation problem it has only ever been blinking...) This says there is no wireless connection. Previously, printer was set up to be wireless but it did not appear to work. I kept getting "Printer cannot be located" messages, and the wireless light never stopped blinking.
                            3. I plug in the USB printer cable and try to print a test page, from http://localhost:631/printers/HP_DeskJet_2700_series - yet again I get a blank page.

This printer appears to be printing something...then spits out a blank page.
                            4. http://localhost:631/printers/HP_DeskJet_2700_series tells me that the print job is completed.

I am contacting HP at https://answers.launchpad.net/hplip/+addquestion

Any further suggestions
                            Last edited by tomcloyd; Jul 03, 2021, 11:19 AM. Reason: corrections

Comment

did you uninstall ippusbxd, as I suggested? I'd suggest also unplugging the printer and removing any detected printers in System Settings before plugging it back in after removing the program.

Oddly, HP's site 404's on the user manual
                              https://www.argos-support.co.uk/inst...nstant-ink.pdf
                              Here there are instructions on using WPS (push a button on the router to connect) or a pin (via the router's web interface) to connect to printer to the network via the router 'manually'. That is what I did on any super cheap Canon printer as there is no Canon utility software for Linux like HP have. This can be used if the hplip-gui software still is not working, to connect it via wifi.

The printer out of the box has zero idea about any wifi network to connect to, that is what the HPLIP GUI utility is suppose to aid with, but ippusbxd very likely is causing it to barf when trying to set that up while it is connected via USB.

But simply removing ippusbxd should remove the most common blockage to using the printer via USB.
                              Last edited by claydoh; Jul 03, 2021, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X