Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, NVMe can be understood at a conceptual level by all persistent geeks. Technically, it gets technical untechnically quickly, like in a Flash.

Not going to be too concerned, yet. Planning on a very, very simple system, one M.2 (NVMe PCIe lane), one namespace ("drive" like sda).

Here's what is on my beginner's mind:

One M.2. I believe the controller is co-resident on that M.2? The host controller is what? the PCIe machinery (hardware + software)?

Whatever ... The way I read this (which, with high probability, could likely be wrong), the following is possible:

One M.2 plugged into your PCIe slot.
    Instead of thinking about ONE "drive" like sda, the M.2 could be set up with two namespaces, corresponding to, like, sda and sdb:
    One controller: nvme0 and then this:
    /dev/nvme0n1 and /dev/nvme0n2

... and each of those could be "partitioned" like /dev/nvme0n1px and /dev/nvme0n2px.

If, somehow there were two controllers (would that happen with two physical M.2 cards?), nvme0 and nvme1 could each access each other's namespaces (and "partitions"). And/or, each controller could also have some private namespaces/partitions to access.

I don't know what advantages exist here, or how one would divide up one M.2 into two namespaces ("drives" like sda and sdb). (Multiple clients/customers?) But I'm sure there must be a way.

Food for thought, input always welcome! At my age now, I really can't afford to spend too much time making my NVM setups complicated!
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

IMO unless you have multiple NVME devices and a controller that supports joining them, just set it up like any old drive. I don't see what the advantage is to use "namespaces" vs. partitions on a single nvme system. Maybe something I'm not aware of?

Some good technical usage info here:
      https://narasimhan-v.github.io/2020/...amespaces.html

Please Read Me

Comment

Re my post #31, I should re-write it, after deleting it! Of course it must be true that we can divide up an M.2 into several namespaces. We think of the M.2 as a "drive," based on our past habits, like a thumb drive is a drive. And "the namespace" is that drive, like sda. The trend is toward bigger and faster devices, like the M.2, like maybe 100 TB. So we can no longer think of a device like M.2 as a drive. The M.2 can be used for many namespaces (what we used to think of as a "drive"). In this silly-thinking sense, that M.2 can be many, many "drives"--sda ... sdx (I don't know what the NVMe specs call for as a limit, if there is a limit, to the number of such namespaces). And each name space can be further "divided up" (like into what we would call partitions), etc.

Maybe you guys have already thought about this. I had not, yet. I just thought of that circuit card, the M.2, as a special NVMe PCIe "drive" that had to be partitioned. As always, check me on all this.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

oshunluvr, I agree -- most of our systems will have just one M.2, we think of it as a drive, and we partition it. KISS, right? (See my post #33, we cross-posted)
          Last edited by Qqmike; May 22, 2021, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Yes, I had already read Narasimhan V, and others.

Comment

Working...
            X