Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dolphin File Manager lagging when selecting large amount of files.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin File Manager lagging when selecting large amount of files.

I just noticed recently when I open a folder that has 2000 plus images in it and select all and right click to try copy it lags severely before I can copy the files over to a thumbdrive.
    I'm not sure if this a issue with the Dolphin File Manger or if its hardware based because on Kubuntu 18.04 I didn't have this issue. I checked my HDD and I didn't see any errors in Gsmart Control, maybe its the RAM?
    I don't know.

Thanks in advance.

PS: My HDD has over 9000 hours of use on it.

Do you have preview mode selected?

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
      Do you have preview mode selected?
      Yes but I just tried it with it turned off, and the same problem.

Comment

"2000 plus images"
        -- What size are they in total?

"before I can copy the files over to a thumbdrive."
        -- USB 2 or USB 3, or do you know?

How much RAM do you have?

All three can have impacts on transfer speed, especially when large/huge numbers of files are involved.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

On my HDD (12118 hours of use, in a refurb PC), it does take a moment when selecting all my 10Gb/2700 worth of pictures. Maybe 1.25 mississippis, before the right click menu opens.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
            "2000 plus images"
            -- What size are they in total?

"before I can copy the files over to a thumbdrive."
            -- USB 2 or USB 3, or do you know?

How much RAM do you have?

All three can have impacts on transfer speed, especially when large/huge numbers of files are involved.
            3.2 GB.
            USB 2.
            RAM 16 GB.

@ claydoh

It probably takes up four or five seconds if not more on my system.

Comment

Its been almost two weeks and I haven't heard anything from anyone.
              So does this mean this is a non-issue?

Comment

Your speed sounds about 'normal' for copying to a USB 2 drive. I don't do such operations very often on my systems, so this is just my experience based on moving a few directories to USB for backup.
                Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                  Your speed sounds about 'normal' for copying to a USB 2 drive. I don't do such operations very often on my systems, so this is just my experience based on moving a few directories to USB for backup.
                  Thanks. But its strange I didn't notice this on Kubuntu 18.04. Why does this happen on 20.04?

Comment

I'm not qualified to offer good reasons for your observed change in behavior. That said; did you change any configurations or add other software when you upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04? I assume we are talking about the same hardware.
                    Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.8, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Originally posted by TWPonKubuntu View Post
                      I'm not qualified to offer good reasons for your observed change in behavior. That said; did you change any configurations or add other software when you upgraded from 18.04 to 20.04? I assume we are talking about the same hardware.
                      No the same as version 18.04 the same configuration the same software and same hardware.
                      And claydoh has the same behavior on their machine.

Comment

My Hp machine as both USB 2 and USB 3 ports. If you have both, try switching to the other port.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
                          And claydoh has the same behavior on their machine.
                          Not quite, an extremely rough estimate of 1.25 seconds for my larger number of files for the right click menu to appear is, imo, not significant.

5 seconds is an eternity [emoji46]

And trying again today, the same files on the same drive, it took much less than one Mississippi. Which is the exact same precisely and finely measured time interval as the exact same set of files on my nvme drive.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
                          Last edited by claydoh; Mar 28, 2021, 04:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            Not quite, an extremely rough estimate of 1.25 seconds for my larger number of files for the right click menu to appear is, imo, not significant.

5 seconds is an eternity [emoji46]

And trying again today, the same files on the same drive, it took much less than one Mississippi. Which is the exact same precisely and finely measured time interval as the exact same set of files on my nvme drive.

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk
                            And 5 seconds is just a rough estimate I tried it again today and looks like it takes about 10 to 15 seconds the first time but after the first time its only a couple of seconds at most.
                            I think its a caching issue.
                            I wonder if my RAM is going bad?

Comment

Time to do a memory test run. You might do the Bios POST. There a other GUI apps for testing memory (research this for your machine).

Comment

Working...
                              X