This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MOBO check before buying

Is the GIGABYTE Z390 AORUS ULTRA compatible with Kubuntu 20.04? I tried a google search but no luck. I tried searching this forum but no luck. Perhaps I just didn't think of the correct way to word it. Search engines would probably be better if they used a deep learning AI.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

I haven't heard of any Mobo not being "Linux Compatible" for a very long time. You should likely be looking into the specific components like, ethernet, wifi, audio, etc. Looks like a nice piece of hardware. I hope you have enough cash left over to buy a fast nvme drive

Please Read Me

Comment

The uadio and wifi should be fine. The RGB lighting control software won't work in Linux.

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        I haven't heard of any Mobo not being "Linux Compatible" for a very long time. You should likely be looking into the specific components like, ethernet, wifi, audio, etc. Looks like a nice piece of hardware. I hope you have enough cash left over to buy a fast nvme drive
        I already have a 1, 2, and 4 TB SSD from Samsung with a 6 MB/s transfer rate. They are all 860 EVO's. The MOBO is $199.99 via Amazon Prime Day. BTW: Grammarly -FF add on-, says the comma you added after the word like is wrong.
        Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

Originally posted by mr_raider View Post
          The uadio and wifi should be fine. The RGB lighting control software won't work in Linux.
          Not sure that's totally true. In my case, the Aura lighting is controlled in the BIOS and works perfectly.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
            I already have a 1, 2, and 4 TB SSD from Samsung with a 6 MB/s transfer rate. They are all 860 EVO's. The MOBO is $199.99 via Amazon Prime Day. BTW: Grammarly -FF add on-, says the comma you added after the word like is wrong.
            Yeah, I looked at the deal after you posted. I'd jump on it and work out the issues later, LOL. For my next build I've decided to go with a Ryzen CPU, which means I can go to PCIe 4.0 nvme and really knock down some access times! I had to replace my case this year and my GPU died and I'm upgrading my water cooling system now, so the "PC bucks" kitty is a little skinny for the time being. My i7-6700K is finally starting to show some age (had to go back to almost factory speed to stabilize temps) so I've probably got a year or so before I upgrade CPU-mobo-RAM combo. In that time, maybe Intel will catch up and I'll stick with them, but who knows? 16 cores/32 threads plus doubling nvme speeds is pretty tempting!

BTW, FF and your Grammarly add-on is not the boss of me. I, comma, whenever, I, want, lol, and what are you, the grammar police?

Actually, it wasn't a grammatical error, it was an I-try-to-type-too-fast-and-sometimes-mess-up-keystrokes error. Let me know when FF has an add-on for that, or don't because I don't use FF.
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Oct 13, 2020, 03:12 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Actually, there are some MBs that are less fun than others, but I don't know of any that are deliberately anti-Linux. I've found that Gigabyte is the most user friendly, ASRock almost as friendly, and MSI probably the least. MSI just takes more looking to find the right UEFI/BIOS menu entries, but in the end it submitted to my will

Don't need no stinkin' Grammarly, either. My English teacher Mom, while no longer in this life, still sits in my brain pointing out what is poetic license and what is flat out wrong!
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.27.11​| Kubuntu 24.04 | 6.8.0-31-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                >>>>>

Don't need no stinkin' Grammarly, either. My English teacher Mom, while no longer in this life, still sits in my brain pointing out what is poetic license and what is flat out wrong!
                My English Major wife is affectionately known as Conan the Grammarian!
                If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

z390 chipset is more than a year old. I wouldn't worry.

Most of the issues I've read about have been the brand new AMD CPUs with graphics (4500u/4700u).

Comment

Working...
                  X