This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] i915 missing firmware updates for newer kernels

I switched to using my onboard Intel graphics chip recently and encountered this error several time when installing a newer kernel version:

Code:
    Processing triggers for linux-image-5.4.0-45-generic (5.4.0-45.49~18.04.2) .../etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms:
     * dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 5.4.0-45-generic
       ...done.
    /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-45-generic
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_04.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/glk_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/icl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
    Note that there are 7 error messages but actually only 6 missing files - the "kbl_guc..." file generated 2 errors.

Since I ran into this more than once, I thought I'd share the process to fix it here so you don't have to search the 'net.

The needed files are here: https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux....git/tree/i915

Note that clicking the links usually results in the file contents being displayed rather than downloading it. You will need to right-click on the desired versions and choose "Save link as..." or whatever your browser offers to let you save them as files.

Assuming you download them to your Downloads folder, here are the commands to "install" them:

sudo cp ~/Downloads/*.bin /lib/firmware/i915/
    sudo update-initramfs -u

I have attached the six files listed above in case you need the exact same set. I had to split them into two zip files due to Forum limitations on file sizes.

Before installing, look carefully at your error messages and be sure you're getting the correct versions for your system.

Good Luck!
    Attached Files

Please Read Me

I get that sometimes with my AMD card. The messages reference different cards that are not the one I'm using.

I Did not see this on my laptop but I'll check the logs just in case

Thanks for the info!

Sent from my LM-V600 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yeah I get this a lot with my amd card. I just ignore it since my games all work fine.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
        Code:
        Processing triggers for linux-image-5.4.0-45-generic (5.4.0-45.49~18.04.2) .../etc/kernel/postinst.d/dkms:
         * dkms: running auto installation service for kernel 5.4.0-45-generic
           ...done.
        /etc/kernel/postinst.d/initramfs-tools:
        update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-45-generic
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/tgl_dmc_ver2_04.bin for module i915
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/skl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/bxt_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/glk_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
        W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/icl_guc_33.0.0.bin for module i915
        I wonder if you have the package linux-firmware installed?
        This package contains the missing files,. at least the three I checked.
        I have it, so perhaps this is why I don't see the warning?

Comment

I'll confirm that installing/reinstalling the linux-firmware package made these error messages go away. I have not experienced any problems, but I did use Synaptic to install the package and, on reboot, the error messages no longer appear. Call it "preventive maintenance".
          Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.7, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Working...
          X