Problem adding services (plugins) in dolphin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem adding services (plugins) in dolphin

Hi, I recently install the latest LTS version of kubuntu (22.04) and I found that I can't install any plugins (services) into dolphin.
    Its shows a message that says some thing like: "Error: SETTINGS invalid number of concurrent streams"
    Do you have an idea why this could be?
    Thanks

Sorry, I'm not getting what you mean. Are you trying to add Service Menus to Dolphin? Could you explain what exactly you are doing and what your are trying to accomplish?

Please Read Me

Comment

In dolphin when I go to Menu > Settings > Dolphin Settings > Contextual menu > Get new services, and I try to install any of them I get a message saying "Error: SETTINGS invalid number of concurrent streams".

Maybe this caputure will help

Thanks! =)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20220624_142033.png
Views:	223
Size:	236.8 KB
ID:	663909
      Attached Files

Comment

It is a bug in either Plasma, the KDE Store website, or both. You can manually browse the website and download the files.

Comment

Yeah, what Claydoh says. I'm getting the same error here.

Please Read Me

Comment

A little info, it is working though on an arch linux install and debian sid install, both up to date. It could be a Kubuntu specific issue. I was able to install iso image writer service and can confirm it works as expected on iso files. I do not know about other services however.

Comment

Originally posted by rab0171610 View Post
              A little info, it is working though on an arch linux install and debian sid install, both up to date. It could be a Kubuntu specific issue. I was able to install iso image writer service and can confirm it works as expected on iso files. I do not know about other services however.
              The specific error is widespread, across distros, and is intermittent. It was happening to me when I posted above, for widgets, theme stuff, kwin scripts and service menus. Things are fine now, but may not be later.

There have been similar, sporadic issues for at least a number of months, if not the past year to be honest.

Iirc, KDE, or rather Blue Systems bought the Opendesktop.org Pling websites, and seems to have been having a mess of a time fixing things (or aren't) They have been rather crap for a while, but have been bloody awful in recent months.

Comment

But in Kubuntu, i get unknown open collaboration service api error with same service. So who knows for sure what the problem is. Works fine on the 2 other distros.

Comment

But in Kubuntu, i get unknown open collaboration service api error with same service. So who knows for sure what the problem is. Works fine on the 2 other distros.
                  That is a different bug, one that was much more common in recent years. This one may be tied more to the website's backend, though it has been fixed a few times in Frameworks iirc.
                  In any case: https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=451165, plus a bunch of duplicates

The store and the Get New Stuff integration has been a mess off and on for a few *years* now.

Comment

Irritating to say the least. . .

Comment

On the bright side . . .
                      Supposedly it is a QT bug that is fixed as of Jun 18, 2022 7:46am EDT, which means eventually it should also make its way to Kubuntu in the Qt5 base package.

The code for the error:

if (identifier == Settings::MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS_ID) {
                      if (newValue > maxPeerConcurrentStreams) {
                      connectionError(PROTOCOL_ERROR, "SETTINGS invalid number of concurrent streams");
                      return false; }

will be changed to the following:

if (identifier == Settings::MAX_CONCURRENT_STREAMS_ID)
                      maxConcurrentStreams = newValue;
                      }

and this "rather useless" code that arbitrarily sets the max concurrent streams to 1000 will be removed:

// Using 1000 (rather arbitrarily), just to
                      // impose *some* upper limit:
                      maxPeerConcurrentStreams = 1000,

More can be found here:
                      https://invent.kde.org/qt/qt/qtbase/...f41b58c370537f
                      and here:
                      https://ask.fedoraproject.org/t/cant...ddons/23541/25

Comment

which means eventually it should also make its way to Kubuntu in the Qt5 base package.

You mean Ubuntu, who are the ones who unfortunately control Qt, seeing that it is used not only by Plasma, but also LxQt, among other uses. So, maybe for 22.10, definitely not for 20.04 (the OP would not see this)
                        other Qt based tend to break when Qt is upgraded, even via minor patches etc. This happens with some non-Plasma stuff on KDE neon, as a prime example.

The KDE Devs have talked about providing Qt updates/upgrades via a PPA, but I don't know what is going on there. Maybe Rik ( @acheron) can give us some info on that. Would be nice for Kubuntu to be able to have some of those Qt specific bugs able to be fixed.

Comment

Yes I was assuming for Jammy but maybe I am wrong. I guess we will have to wait and see what happens.

Comment

Historically, that hasn't happened, even less so on an LTS release. Though much of this stemmed from Unity development, if I recall correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                              Historically, that hasn't happened, even less so on an LTS release. Though much of this stemmed from Unity development, if I recall correctly.
                              Aaaaaaaand sometimes it is nice to be proven wrong

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...210/comments/1

This is a call to test the Qt patches to fix this (and other things?)
                              But this does need testers and confirmation that it works. Links to instructions on how to enable the Proposed pocket to test this are provided in the post.

Comment

Working...
                              X