Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrade or not?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [Pre-Install] Upgrade or not?

    Ive just received a notification that I can upgrade from my 24.04 LTS to 26.04 LTS, but I'm not sure if I should. The problem is my graphics card. I have a Nvidia GTE Force 730 graphics card and the proprietary 470 driver plus X-org. I believe the 470 driver is no longer supported, and X-org is being phased out, so I'm wondering what will happen if I upgrade. Is there a more recent Nvidia driver which would support my graphics card for 26.04 without changing the graphic characteristics? Will the 730 card support Wayland? Or do I have to replace a graphics card which is working fine and has never given me a problem? I have another 200 days or so before 24.04 is no longer supported, but I'd rather know as soon as possible. Any recommendations would be most welcome.

    #2
    I believe that if you upgrade it's going to update the kernel and it will be wayland only. I think you can revert to xorg but not sure about the kernel. Either one of those update would effectively stop your Nvidia card from working. So I would do some research first before upgrading.
    Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

    Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

    Comment


      #3
      can anyone confirm if the 470 driver is available in the 26.04 repositories?

      can anyone confirm if the plasma-session-x11 is included in the 26.04 repositories?

      ​
      it's not ideal, but you can still download the driver from the nvidia website as a .run file NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-470.256.02.run with all of it's associated weirdness.
      ​
      some stuff i did: https://github.com/droidgoo

      Intel® Core™ i7-14700K | 64 GiB of RAM | AMD RX 6800

      Comment

      Users Viewing This Topic

      Collapse

      There are 0 users viewing this topic.

      Working...
      X