This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: kwin or compiz-fusion or other compositor

dibl, I don't think you read the thread completely but let me update you.

We are using the beta or the new drivers nvidia has onthe site, we are not using the ones that come with 9.10. Besides, my fan doesnt turn down after playing a game unless I run the new nvidia drivers.

kwin runs slow for some odd reason like 24fps. I have high definition videos that are around 60fps and play fine without compositing under kaffeine or with compiz fusion under kaffeine. also, desktop vsync and also frames per seconds are around 200.

What this thread is about is getting kwin to work. last good kwin was in intrepid ibex. I had fast speeds in that one. But this karmic or jaunty is like a slow walk in the park.

Comment

I use kwin for mainly two reasons:

1. I need a window manager that works with and without compositing. This allows, for example, running the window manager on hardware that doesn't do direct rendering and makes troubleshooting 3D issues easier. I also like easy powersaving by disabling the effects when low on battery (although I don't use desktop effects that much...only the ones that really add to usability for me, like expose or desktop grid)

2. Desktop effects aside, I like kwin better in the core window management functions, it offers the features and stability I need.

As far as kwin speed is concerned, it performs very well with my rather aged hardware (it might perform just as well with compiz, just haven't tried it in ages), but I did have to do a lot of tweaking the driver to get the best performance from my radeon chip. There has been a lot of changes in xorg/radeon drivers lately, and some performance decrease you may have experienced after intrepid might be a direct result of it.

As a side note, from what I've read, the development of compiz has slowed down considerably lately. Likely because both kde4 and gnome3 have decided to go 3d with their own window managers (window management is such a key component of any desktop environment that I can understand the desire to keep development "in-house" to ensure the best stability and integrated functionality with the desktop environment in question, compiz does have a history of glitches with KDE).

Comment

yes and this is the main reason I would like to get kwin running at full speed.

Comment

Kwin + opengl for my main PC. Compiz is just too buggy and (this could very well be due to fglrx) tends to break often. Kwin just works, as they say, and it does everything I want as far as fancy 3D effects go.
          On my laptop running GNOME I just use xcompmgr.
          Processor: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 4.00GHz (8 Cores,) Motherboard: ASUS M5A97 R2.0, Memory: 32768MB
          Disk: 2000GB ST2000DM001-9YN1 + 1000GB ST31000340AS, Network: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411
          Graphics: ASUS AMD Radeon HD 7850, Audio: C-Media CMI8788, Monitor: S220HQL

Comment

I just installed kubuntu 9.10. Kwin works far better. Xorg and Nvidia talks to each other, mozilla firefox doesnt fart on me.

I installed the nvidia drivers from nvidia and I added
            Code:
            #!/bin/sh
            #
            # /etc/X11/Xsession
            #
            # global Xsession file -- used by display managers and xinit (startx)

# $Id: Xsession 967 2005-12-27 07:20:55Z dnusinow $
            nvidia-settings -l
            set -e

and KWIN WORKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! well nvidia-settings -l is not necessery to load at boot but it helps. I placed that there because it activates nvidia before kwin kicks in so now all colors and brightness are saved

WOOHOO!

I'm sticking with kwin.

Comment

i know a big site which has lots of free HD wallpapers used for desktop and also iphone
              wallpaperFX.net

Comment

Kwin rocks here on my Kubuntu 10.04, I just recently switched back to KDE after using Gnome Ubntu since Hoary. I first started with KDE based SuSE and then used PCLOS, always liked KDE interface. In terms of performance, with my low end nvidia 8400GS, playing movies on smplayer, I would run into resizing issues where part of the screen would go green, no such issues with Kwin on Kubuntu. Smplayer loads faster, movies look better. I have added the kubuntu ppa to keep KDE to fairly latest version. My main reason to switch was sound, pulse is still buggy, specially with my Yamaha sound card, all I would get is white noise with any music played, with Skype it would be a nightmare as the noise would dominate the entire session. No such issues with KDE thankfully.

Comment

Working...
                X