This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kwin or compiz-fusion or other compositor

Hello! Kwin sucks so badly but I want to give it a try again. I recently switched to compiz and its activated through a sh scripts. I have 200 frame rate, I play high definition videos fine, I play flash videos fine, desktop is in sync, vblank/vsync is correct in everything. When I try kwin, it is bad. It destroys everything. Well it runs like fine but it vsync is bad is what I really mean. It runs at 60fps and I cannot find fixes for vsync nor framerate adjustments.
    kwin with opengl
    0%
    kwin with xrender
    0%
    compiz-fusion
    0%
    other compositor and explain
    0%

Re: kwin or compiz-fusion or other compositor

Yeah, Compiz consistently beats KWin on my machines. I use KWin since it fits better with KDE, but for effects Compiz seems the way to go.

It's as if KWin has locked framerate to 15fps, whereas I can set it to 60 in ccsm. Even in ideal conditions KWin still chugs.
    KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

I don't use Compiz. My settings:

Compositing type: OpenGL

OpenGL Options
      OpenGL mode: Texture from Pixmap
      Texture filter: Bilinear
      Enable direct rendering (checked)

My Karmic 9.10 is a beautiful thing to see. Beautiful effects (I can run the Advanced Desktop Effects and have the ones I want activated). Response is quick (I don't play games, at least, not 3-D 'action' games).

My graphics details:

Graphics: Card Intel Mobile 945GM/GMS 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller X.Org 1.6.4 Res: 1440x900@59.9hz
      GLX Renderer Mesa DRI Intel 945GM GEM 20090712 2009Q2 RC3 x86/MMX/SSE2 GLX Version 1.4 Mesa 7.6
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I'll soon install Kubuntu Karmic, have been testing it from a persistent USB stick and unfortunately kwin is a no-go for me. It was the same when I was using Jaunty, random freezes, and only when desktop effects were enabled. I have an ATI Mobility Radeon X600 in my laptop.

With compiz I don't have any problem so thats what I'll be using.
        Registered Linux user #481882

Comment

Here is a pic of my "work in progress" I was able to add blur effect to the plasma as well as the emerald. I use a windows 7 theme because I created a windows 7 theme long before vista was born and its more like a coincidence windows 7 has the exact or almost look to something i like. besides, my girlfriend doesnt get confused. Even the menu is transparent with blurr.

Anyway, If anybody has any idea how i can add this or make kwin work, I'll be glad to try it out. I would like a unified desktop easy and simple to use which I managed to get here at the moment.

my desktop is silky smooth. Feels like 200fps with no vsync issues even with video playback.
          Attached Files

Comment

@ Cresho

That's a nice looking wallpaper, may I ask where you got it from?
            Registered Linux user #481882

Comment

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper_b...oads/date/any/

Comment

@Cresho;

What videocard is this with? And how does it fare when running KWin? (Since you mention Emerald I'm assuming you're using Compiz with that.)

My machine is a netbook with an integrated Intel 945GME, with which KWin is "okay" while Compiz is smooth.
                KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

@Cresho

Thank you for posting the link. That was the wallpaper site I was looking for. I had discovered it once, and had it bookmarked, but had since 'lost' it. This site has very nice wallpapers.
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

kwin in KDE and compiz in Gnome and both seam to work just fine on this hardware

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82915G/GV/910GL Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 04)
                    @Cresho nice wallpaper site...... thank's for the link.

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

i used to use compiz its much better then kwin normally, and much more customizable right now..,
                      the unfortunate part is when using kde4 compiz tends to not want to start correctly(emerald...) or confilct w/ kde's shortcuts. ok so there not complety show stopers, but its an annoyance enuff when kde4 sometimes refuses to give up those shortcuts or re-regester them after a reboot. that i have decided to give kwin an exclusive run from now on .. so far its working nicely, i get a bit of a vsync tear w/ video, but other then that its rather smooth.. (64-bit w/ ati hd4830). i think that eventually kwin will catch up to and maybe surpass compiz in ability and plugins.

@vinnywright, compiz always works nice in gnome, just issues in kde4 (cause it worked great w/ kde3)

@Cresho , nice wall paper page. thanks for the link
                      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

i think its a gts250 by nvidia. It runs fine and all. I have tons of scripts which enable or disable things automatically depending onwhat i do but for the normal desktop, I needed something that plays flash video fine and also high definition videos fine and i can only do it in compiz. kwin works but its like 24fps. My hd videos are 60fps progressive. I used kwin in....intrepid ibex and that one works fine but the new kernel and x are really taxing my gts250. I was hoping it got fixed in karmic but im afraid the next version will not work. In any case, I finally got the bugs out and vsync and all works fine.

BUT~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                        i did notice when extracting files in dolphin, it requires me to refresh folder. I am wondering if this is a bug in dolphin or in compiz. The folder extracted appears after i refresh....lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Cresho
                          i think its a gts250 by nvidia.[...] kwin works but its like 24fps.
                          See, that's what I'm getting too. Even my puny videocard is powerful enough to give a smooth experience when using Compiz, but with KWin it really underperforms. A GTS250 should never ever get 24fps with KWin, unless you're seriously bottlenecked by lack of cpu time.
                          KDE, I heart thee.

Comment

cresho, you have got to have some sort of issue w/ that card or you config. cause my POS card..

Originally posted by lspci
                            01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV28 [GeForce4 Ti 4200 Go AGP 8x] (rev a1)
                            gets a constant 20fps w/ kwin, unless i am playing a lot w/ the gfx it will drop to round 15 fps...

nothing special in my setup (other then kde 4.4 rc2,maybe an improvement was made?). and i am using the nvidia 96.xx.xx driver.. (you know the legacy driver)

the computer @ home w/ the newer ati card gets round bout 100 fps no matter what i am doing w/ the machine..
                            Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
                            (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Guys if you're bombing with the "Hardware Drivers", may I suggest installing the downloaded proprietary Nvidia driver, following this:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3107406.0

Make sure you nuke all the nvidia-glx stuff before you run the installer. You need to have full-functioning GLX before you try running it with Compiz and Emerald.

Compiz and Emerald run just fine on my Kubuntu 9.10 system, on a GTX260 card, with the Beta 195.30 driver.

Comment

Working...
                              X