X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha testers, report in!

Originally posted by mando_hacker
    I see wicd, which I am pretty sure is the standard wicd not the one with KDE's solid integration. I tried
    Code:
    apt-cache search solid | grep wicd
    and got no hits? Am I missing it or were you thinking of the standard wicd?
    /usr/lib/kde4/solid_wicd.so is in the package 'kdebase-workspace-bin'. You can change the Network backend in SystemSettings>Advanced>Hardware. The solid wicd engine should enable the network manager plasma widget to use wicd instead of NetworkManager (through solid), haven't tried it though (mostly because wicd and the plasma-widget conflict each other :P)

Comment

OK, I am an old CLI guy and this GUI seems to have defeated me. I go into hardware and I find wicd and move it to the top, go back to network settings and I see not interfaces and the buttons are all greyed out. In routes and DNS I see values it picked up from my resolv.conf and they are all greyed out too. I tried uninstalling wicd and using the Network-Manager and that left everything greyed out too. So I install wicd, select it in the Hardware section, go back to Network Settings and the DNS information is now active, but still no interfaces and those buttons are greyed out.

Is it not working yet? Am I expecting more than it intends to do?

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
        Is it not working yet? Am I expecting more than it intends to do?
        I haven't had time to toy around with it yet, but I'm under the impression that full functionality is still "work-in-progress".

Comment

I'm using a DSL connection, which Network Manager doesn't see - it is unavailable (ghosted) in the manage connections window.
          I connected with pppoeconf, I ran sudo apt-get update, then sudo apt-get upgrade and now I'm connected to Kubuntu Forums, so my connection works but no thans to network manager. When my upgrade is completed, I'll uninstall nm and get wicd and try that, as it works in Jaunty.
          HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Have they fixed the issue with Synaptic not taking the qt-gtk-whatever theme?

Comment

I have another problem using Karmic alpha 2 with latest upgrade. (same problem before upgrade too)

I noticed that the touchpad wasn't working properly, but installing gsynaptic at least allows me to tap but not to scroll. However the cursor freezes at apparently random times that require a reboot. I can't open a terminal or do anything else, other than power off.

For example, this morning I was upgrading and in the middle of downloading some files, the num lock light illuminated and everything froze. I tried all possible keys - no response. I rebooted and continued, this happened three times. It happened yesterday and as it was quite hot, and I had been using the computer for several hours, that something was getting too hot and overheating or a fan wasn't working properly, but this morning it was cooler and had only been running a few minutes - same problem. So I don't think the freezing is related to the touchpad but something else, but I don't know what. Anyone else have their num lock light coming on and everything freezing?
              HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

Working...
              X