X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha testers, report in!

Cool... a new section for Karmic!

I had a few bumps during the migration to the KDE4.3beta packages, but it's been very stable otherwise. Zero kernel issues to speak of.

I'm using Compiz as my window manager. I tried the 4.3 KWin, but was losing icons in the system tray. It could be that I simply need to move my .kde directory and start fresh, but I went back to Compiz to avoid that until I have the free time.

Anyone else seeing any new problems that are noteworthy?
    Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Re: Alpha testers, report in!

I had a number of conflicting file problems that required --force-overwrite, including one this morning for policykit. I love the Desktop that pops open the folders now, and Lancelot's better selection in Leave. In fact Lancelot seems much improved.

Comment

Hi,

anyone know how to compile kmess svn without cmake errors!
      I've already installed all kde 4.3 beta development packages without success!

kde-devel packages are missing or am i missing some repo?
      Distributor ID: Ubuntu
      Description: Ubuntu Trusty Tahr (development branch)
      Release: 14.04
      Codename: trusty

Comment

You really should have started another thread for this, but....

Have you tried "sudo apt-get build-dep kmess"?
        Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

The KDE 4.3 (beta-1) / Karmic (alpha-1) has it's quirks:

- the plasma-widget System Monitor-Network settings doesn't have any "Network Interfaces"
          - The Dolphin new information panel player(> Information Panel) plays videos but doesn't
          play audio files.
          - there are packages that have "unmet dependencies" (> kdepim-dev: Depends: libplasma-dev (>= 4:4.1.96)).

the Karmic alpha-1 is very good alpha but there is plenty of time to change that .

About compiling kmess

anyone know how to compile kmess svn without cmake errors!
          It would help to know the error messages .

Build-depends:
          Looking > kmess_2.0~beta2-1ubuntu1.dsc.
          Build-Depends: debhelper (>= 7), cdbs, zlib1g-dev, patchutils, automoc, libxml2-dev, libxslt1-dev, libqca2-dev, pkg-kde-tools, kdelibs5-dev, libkonq5-dev, libqt4-phonon-dev (>= 4.5.1), libxss-dev, quilt, libgif-dev
          + build-essential

Patches:
          Sometimes the raw source will need the Debian/Ubuntu patches.
          - You could download the package: kmess (2.0~beta2-1ubuntu1) sources and examine it.
          Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
          1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
          2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Hi

these are the cmake errors!

Code:
            -- Found Qt-Version 4.5.1 (using /usr/bin/qmake)
            -- Found X11: /usr/lib/libX11.so
            -- Phonon includes NOT found!
            CMake Error at /usr/share/kde4/apps/cmake/modules/FindPhonon.cmake:59 (message):
             Phonon library or includes NOT found!
            Call Stack (most recent call first):
             /usr/share/kde4/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake:553 (find_package)
             /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:81 (FIND_PACKAGE)
             CMakeLists.txt:15 (FIND_PACKAGE)
            It seems that there is some problems with phonon developer packages.
            Also whenever i try to install kde-devel packages I've got a missing dependencies notice.

Code:
            The following packages have unmet dependencies:
             kde-devel: Depends: kdebase-dev (>= 4:4.1.1) but it is not installable
            For now I'm using beta #2 or aMsn when i need to plug my webcam.

OT: I'm using a sn9c2x microdia webcam, see this website: http://groups.google.com/group/microdia

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
              - the plasma-widget System Monitor-Network settings doesn't have any "Network Interfaces"
              Yeah, I actually filed a bug about that one a week or so back.

Comment

Do you have: libqt4-phonon-dev ?

Maybe: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...de/+bug/382319

Links
                > ReportingBugs
                > Apport - Automatic crash reports
                (with the KDE it is apport-qt)

Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by hteles
                  Hi

these are the cmake errors!

Code:
                  -- Found Qt-Version 4.5.1 (using /usr/bin/qmake)
                  -- Found X11: /usr/lib/libX11.so
                  -- Phonon includes NOT found!
                  CMake Error at /usr/share/kde4/apps/cmake/modules/FindPhonon.cmake:59 (message):
                  Call Stack (most recent call first):
                   /usr/share/kde4/apps/cmake/modules/FindKDE4Internal.cmake:553 (find_package)
                   /usr/share/cmake-2.6/Modules/FindKDE4.cmake:81 (FIND_PACKAGE)
                   CMakeLists.txt:15 (FIND_PACKAGE)
                  It seems that there is some problems with phonon developer packages.
                  Also whenever i try to install kde-devel packages I've got a missing dependencies notice.

Code:
                  The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                  I'd say install libphonon-dev (libqt4-phonon-dev should come as a dependency)...and kdelibs5-dev (if you don't have it already)

about kde-devel, seems it has outdated dependencies

EDIT: looks like libphonon-dev is just a dummy to bring in libqt4-phonon-dev, so you can just install libqt4-phonon-dev

Comment

Hi,

it's surely strange, but after removing phonon and kdelibs development packages and reinstall both cmake doesn't complain anymore and kmess-svn compiled successfully.

Thanks, maybe that was a pre-alpha #1 bug, don't know.

Thanks for the help, i also subscribed to the kde-devel bug.

Now i just want to grab a patch to have my webcam working in kmess-svn

Comment

I found that when I did the jj-kk upgrade, I had to go through a series dpkg configures, force-overwrites, and apt-get install -f attempts to get through all of the dependency problems, but in the end, it worked.

Only real problem I have at present is with pulseaudio. It doesn't seem to start up properly. I have to kill it and then restart, and it works, although there is some static now and then.

I did lose all of my panel icons during the upgrade, but that was easy to fix.

So far, so good. Can't wait for kernel 2.6.31, and the promised creative x-fi support.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...item&px=NzI3MA

We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

My first installation of Larmic went smoothly. Even network-manager worked right out of the box. That's a miracle all in itself!

Thereafter, things went wrong. After installing the updates, I lost the desktop, fonts were way too big and finally, after several attempts to fix the problems, I could no longer log in.
                        Login screen appears. Correct password entered, screen goes to black and login screen appears again. And again and again . . .

I did a clean re-install. Everything worked as expected. Updated, installed FF, Skype and a few others applications including wicd (instead of network-manager).

So far, so good.
                        This is a pretty good Alpha, I would say.

Comment

Solid-wicd is now inKDE 4.3. I hope it will soon be in Kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by mando_hacker
                            Solid-wicd is now inKDE 4.3. I hope it will soon be in Kubuntu.

Isn't it already in the Kubuntu repositories?
                            I got it from there. And it is the latest version.

Comment

I see wicd, which I am pretty sure is the standard wicd not the one with KDE's solid integration. I tried
                              Code:
                              apt-cache search solid | grep wicd
                              and got no hits? Am I missing it or were you thinking of the standard wicd?

Comment

Working...
                              X