This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

network manager

Hi Im not exactly new to linux but each time there is a new release fundamental things change. Im used to either editing the eth0-cfg file or using red-hat type interface configurations but the Network manager tool under 9.04 is a complete mystery. Although there was an existing wired dhcp connection the manager did not list it. I wanted to change it to a static interface. I therefore invented an interface eth0 filled in all the fields except the network mask always mysteriously changes back to 0.
    Miracle of miracles the interface realises now eth0 exist an happily bypasses me by renaming the connection Ethernet as dhcp . How do you achieve this simple feat ie make eth0 not dhcp but a static ip. The network manager interface leaves me clueless, or better still where are the text files now that contain this information which would be much better as I could then really know what Im doing. Thanks

Re: network manager

Like you, I am old school when it comes to my interfaces. I use port aggregation and AFAIK no network manager handles that yet.

My preferred method is simply remove knetworkmanager as it sucks anyway. Then manually edit the interfaces file and /etc/resolv.conf

Please Read Me

Comment

Is there an interfaces file other than /etc/network/interfaces? It does not contain anything I other than lo.
      auto lo
      iface lo inet loopback

Thanks

Comment

That's the file. knetworkmanager doesn't use it, that why it's mostly empty. Leave the loopback interface in there and add your other(s) below.

Code:
        Here's an example: 

# The primary network interface
        auto eth0  #this activates the interface at boot

# iface eth0 inet dhcp  #this line is for dhcp or floating ip
        iface eth0 inet static   #these lines enable static ip
        address 192.168.1.199
        gateway 192.168.1.1
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        Also, when you remove knetworkmanager it will wipe your /etc/resolv.conf file clean and leave you without an netowkr connection, so be prepared to edit this file and include the IP's of your nameservers.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr
          ...Also, when you remove knetworkmanager it will wipe your /etc/resolv.conf file clean and leave you without an netowkr connection, so be prepared to edit this file and include the IP's of your nameservers.
          I've always appreciated that "feature"
          we see things not as they are, but as we are.
          -- anais nin

Comment

See my insturctions here.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3100052.0

Comment

Working...
            X