This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Block URLs in browser? [SOLVED]

I want to block the web browser (Firefox) from accessing just two or three URLs on just one user account. I don't want any blocking on my own account. I don't want any content filtering, or spam or malware blocking. Firefox has a couple of add-ons that are supposed to do this, but they're neither free nor open-source. As far as I can tell, filtering via a proxy server can't be made user-specific. DansGuardian looks like overkill for something this simple. All I want is some sort of blacklist function for Firefox. Suggestions?

Re: Block URLs in browser?

You can use the /etc/hosts file to do that, along with a little script addition in /etc/rc.local.

As root copy /etc/hosts to /etc/hosts.noblock (sudo cp /etc/hosts /etc/hosts.noblock)

Edit /etc/hosts as root (kdesudo kwrite /etc/hosts)

127.0.0.1 thedomainnameyouwantotblock.com
    127.0.0.1 anotherdomainnametoblock.org
    " "
    and "save as" /etc/hosts.block

That gives you three files:
    /etc/hosts (the original - will get overwritten by one of the two below)
    /etc/hosts.block (has block commands)
    /etc/hosts.noblock (the original )

Edit /etc/rc.local and just above the "exit 0" line add

if [ "$USER" = "youracctname"
    then
    cp /etc/hosts.noblock /etc/hosts
    else
    cp /etc/host.block /etc/hosts
    fi

When you log in the /etc/hosts file will not block any site from you. When anyone else logs in (to another account) they will not be able to see the sites you've put into /etc/hosts.block because the domain names are routed to 127.0.0.1

You may want to get the IP addresses of those sites and add blocking lines for them too, in case someone gets clever and enters IP addresses of the forbidden sites into the browser URL. For example:
    127.0.0.1 222.223.224.225
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Arist, I meant to quote your reply but deleted it instead.

Would you repeat your reply, specifying your implementation problem? Thanks.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
        Arist, I meant to quote your reply but deleted it instead.

Would you repeat your reply, specifying your implementation problem? Thanks.
        That's OK: I can probably make the problem clearer with a rewrite.

Here's what I have in rc.local:

Code:
        if [ $USER = arist ];
        then
        else
        cp /etc/hosts.block /etc/hosts
        fi
        touch /var/log/rc.local_ran_successfully
        exit 0
        When I boot up and log on as arist, the file rc.local_ran_successfully is created, so I know rc.local is run. But hosts has the content of hosts.block. Same result if nonarist logs in. If I rewrite rc.local so:

Code:
        if [ $USER = nonarist ];
        then
        else
        fi
        touch /var/log/rc.local_ran_successfully
        exit 0
        then hosts has the content of hosts.noblock, whether arist or nonarist logs in. It seems the "if" condition will always be false.

I modified rc.local to test it after login:

Code:
        echo The user is $USER
        if [ $USER = arist ];
        then
        echo Yes, the user is arist
        else
        echo The user is someone other than arist
        fi
        exit 0
        and saved it as rc.local.test. I did this because the "cp" commands in rc.local must be run as root, but if the user is root, the "if" condition will again be false. So then I run

Code:
        sh /etc/rc.local.test
        and get

Code:
        The user is arist
        Yes, the user is arist
        When I switch users and log in as nonarist, running rc.local.test yields

Code:
        The user is nonarist
        The user is someone other than arist
        This tells me that after I'm logged in and KDE is running, the script will run correctly, executing the "if" command when the condition is true. It doesn't execute correctly at bootup. From this I speculate that rc.local runs before the USER environment variable is set. Could I be wrong about that?

I've also tried it with double quotes in the "if" statement, and it made no difference.

The other thing I mentioned in my reply is that rebooting is necessary to get rc.local to run, so even if I could get it to work it would be a tad inconvenient.

Comment

I believe that the correct syntax for the IF test in the case of a string equality comparison is:

if [ "$USER" = "arist" ]

jerry@vgnfw140e:~$ echo "$USER" = "jerry"
          jerry = jerry
          jerry@vgnfw140e:~$

Comment

I believe that the correct syntax for the IF test in the case of a string equality comparison is:

if [ "$USER" = "arist" ]
            I tried it that way. Made no difference.

Comment

My bad... I didn't think it through before I snapped out an answer. Perhaps this approach may work.

Create a script similar to this and save it in /bin with root:root and 711 permission:

#!/bin/bash
              if [ "$1" = "arist" ]
              then
              else
              fi
              exit
              Then add the following lines to /etc/sudoers. (NOTE: YOU MUST edit /etc/suders with a special editor called visudo as root: sudo visudo. You may recognize "visudo" as pico but it is special in that it copies /etc/sudoers to /etc/sudoers.tmp, whiich is what is really being editied. When you exit visudo it will save the results as /etc/sudoers.tmp but then copy that file as /etc/sudoers)

arist ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/iftest.sh
              otherguy ALL = NOPASSWD: /bin/iftest.sh

This allows arist and otherguy to run /bin/iftest.sh using sudo without a password, but only /bin/iftest.sh.

Then, to run the script as the user from rc.local add before the "exit 0" line:

sudo -u $USER /bin/iftest.sh $USER

or maybe $LOGNAME in stead of $USER.

This approach assumes that only one person accesses the PC at a time. IF two people where in their accounts at the same time the one who logged in last would set the hosts file.

Comment

Still no go. I seriously doubt that any solution using rc.local and the environment variables $USER or $LOGNAME is going to work. I now have only these lines in rc.local:
                Code:
                echo The user is $USER > /var/log/useris.log
                echo The logname is $LOGNAME >> /var/log/useris.log
                exit 0
                The file useris.log looks like this:
                Code:
                The user is
                The logname is
                When I put those lines in their own bash script and run it from the terminal, I get
                Code:
                The user is arist
                The logname is arist
                I wonder where we could find at which point in the boot process environment variables are set. It seems obvious that those two are set after rc.local runs.

Odd, isn't it, that an operating system designed explicitly for administration of multiple users doesn't have an easy way to restrict Internet access for selected users.

Comment

mmm... now you've given me a serious problem!
                  Time to do some experimentation instead of just theory...

Comment

How To Set Up A Debian Linux Firewall

So why use a Linux system as a firewall if these $100 boxes are available? One reason is flexibility. You could use your Linux firewall system to simultaneously act as a Web (possibly with a Web cam) and/or e-mail server (more about this can be found on the Internet Servers and Web Cam pages). Plus you can set up very fine controls about who can access what on the Internet. Many organizations only want a few select individuals to have Internet access. In this case you could statically assign them addresses in a range outside of the DHCP scope and only allow that address range out. (If you have your own internal DNS server be sure to allow it outbound UDP port 53 so it can access the root hints servers.) But the main reason for setting up a Linux firewall is because it will help you learn Linux.
                    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

The problem is getting a user, AS A USER, to copy scripts owned by root.

In looking at a fall back position (/etc/profile or /etc/bashrc) I was unaware that
                      It seems that the favored way to run scripts as a user on Kubuntu is to use /etc/bash.bashrc, which should know what $USER or $LOGNAME are, to call
                      /bin/iftest.sh
                      from. And, you can use the user ID in a test:

iftest.sh
                      Code:
                      #1/bin/bash
                      if [ "`id -u`" -eq 1000 ]; then
                       sudo cp stuff
                      else
                       sudo cp stuff
                      if
                      The single quotes are back-ticks (under the tilde sign). The "You should be "1000" (root is 0, other users range upward from 1000). You will still need to modify sudousers with visudo as mentioned before so that for running iftest.sh a password doesn't need to be entered.

If something like that doesn't work then perhaps you can try what Snowhog suggests and create an IPTABLES rule which passes all websites to you but excludes the targeted website from your other user. Never done that myself.

This is an interesting site: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EnvironmentVariables

Comment

Block URLs in browser?

Brilliant! That's the solution. I knew there had to be the right config file somewhere. Thanks, GG!

I just put "sudo /bin/blockurl.sh" into /etc/bash.bashrc, where blockurl.sh looks like this:
                        Code:
                        #!/bin/bash
                        if [ "$USER" = "arist" ]
                        then
                        else
                        fi
                        exit
                        I have sudoers set to allow arist and nonarist to execute blockurl.sh without a password.

I can switch users to nonarist and the blocking takes effect. Unfortunately, when I log out of that account and am back in arist, the blocking is still in place. I suppose I'll have to log out each time instead of just switching users.

I will learn about firewalls when I have more time: looks like it should be an elegant and versatile solution. I've learned enough for the time being.

Comment

Re: Block URLs in browser? [SOLVED]

Nice solution - I usually just edit my hosts file directly. I wonder - could this be done using a local hosts file for each user hidden in the home directory?

Then you could add the file to skel and it would default into each new users setup but an admin could vary access to things by editing the individual files.

In other words, rather than using /etc/hosts.block use ~/.hosts and make the file read only and use /etc/hosts.base as your universal hosts. Then use the script to build a "new" /etc/hosts file by combining the /etc/hosts.base with ~/.hosts amended to the end.

This would remove the need for the if statement as you would do it every time. Any user needing full access could have a blank ~/.hosts . Just a different way to skin the cat I suppose.

While we're on the topic - there are several sites that have host files for free download that block various types of nefarious web sites. A quick web search will reveal many of them. I think it's a good idea to at a minimum block known malware site and I also block ad sites.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by arist
                            I can switch users to nonarist and the blocking takes effect. Unfortunately, when I log out of that account and am back in arist, the blocking is still in place. I suppose I'll have to log out each time instead of just switching users.
                            Are you switching to nonarist from within your KDE4 desktop, or do you log out and from the login screen log into nonarist?

To solve that problem the most likely place to put a call to your script is in YOUR ~/.bashrc file. Nonarist doesn't need any other changes.
                            #
                            ~/.bashrc - Because of the way Ubuntu currently sets up the various script files by default, this may be the easiest place to set variables in. The default configuration nearly guarantees that this file will be executed in each and every invocation of bash as well as while logging in to the graphical environment. However, performance-wise this may not be the best thing to do since it will cause values to be unnecessarily set many times.

Comment

To solve that problem the most likely place to put a call to your script is in YOUR ~/.bashrc file. Nonarist doesn't need any other changes.
                              Much better. The problem wasn't completely solved after all: the system required a reboot to make the change in /etc/hosts. Using the local .bashrc appears to make it possible to change by just logging out and in.

So, the solution:
                              1. Copy the original /etc/hosts to /etc/hosts.noblock
                              2. Add unwanted web sites to etc/hosts and save as /etc/hosts.block. The additions look like this:
                              Code:
                              127.0.0.1   unwantedsite.com
                              3. Create two scripts, /bin/block.sh and /bin/noblock.sh. The first is
                              Code:
                              #!/bin/bash
                              sudo cp /etc/hosts.block /etc/hosts
                              The second is the same, but substituting hosts.noblock for hosts.block.
                              4. Edit the sudoers file to allow arist to run /bin/noblock.sh without a password, and the same for nonarist and block.sh
                              5. In arist's ~/.bashrc put the command
                              Code:
                              sudo /bin/noblock.sh
                              and do the equivalent (with block.sh) for nonarist.

Looks roundabout, but making system changes as root that affect selected users is tricky.

Anyway, thanks again to GreyGeek for the education. Now it's back to my real job for a few days, then off to iptables school.

Edit: The web restrictions can be easily got around by the user, since he/she owns ~/.bashrc and can just comment out the added line. That's not a concern of mine, but this solution won't work if the restricted users have decent Linux skills.

Comment

Working...
                              X