X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing wired network connection settings

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble changing the way one of my home computers connects to the internet.

The story is like this: I have two separate computers that until now were connected to the internet through a switch, each one with a separate pppoe connection (different username/passwords). To setup the connection on the Kubuntu machine I used the pppoeconf wizard.

Now, I replaced the switch with a router and I would like to connect from the Kubuntu machine without using a different user account; directly through the connection setup on the router. I was assuming this will work out of the box (just disable the old pppoe connection - using poff). But this doesn't seem to work. Also, it seems i can't connect to the router (pinging its address doesn't work); connecting to the internet through the old connection works perfectly though, meaning it is not a hardware problem. Also, connecting through the router setup and pinging the router address from windows works.

My assumption is that the old connection clashes somehow with the new network setup, but i have no idea how to proceed... I'm grateful for any advice .

Thanks.

Re: Changing wired network connection settings

So we're all clear:

Modem (cable or other, now connected to router, formerly to switch)
    2 computers; one windows, one linux (formerly connected via pppoe, now you want direct ethernet connection)
    Windows works, linux does not

Start with typing ifconfig in a terminal. If your ethernet card (eth0) doesn't have an IP address listed, it's not getting dhcp service from the router. If it doesn't appear at all (no eth0) then it's down.

If it's down, try sudo ifconfig up eth0 and see what happens

Please Read Me

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. The linux machine is actually dual boot (windows + kubuntu) and the windows connection works as I expected.

When checking ifconfig, everything looks ok to me...The problem is that it is still connecting through the old pppoe connection (like, using the old username/password), which is configured locally on Kubuntu. This connection has different settings from the one I should be using now, which is configured on the router; it still works for the moment, but it will not work in the future. And if I disable the connection with poff, the internet stops working.

Another thing that confuses me is that i get no reply when pinging the router address. But the connection is up...

Comment

Well, you don't say whether or not you have an IP address attached to your ethernet card or not, but if the router is handling your internet connection - you no longer need the pppoe stuff so remove it entirely. Then it's usually a matter of route and nameserver. Look at /etc/resolv.conf. If it has only 127.0.0.1 then that's a start. Your router needs to be listed as your gateway and nameserver.

Please Read Me

Comment

Ok I found the problem I think.

My /etc/network/interfaces file was something like this:

Code:
           auto eth0
                  iface eth0 inet manual
          I modified it to something like:
          Code:
          auto eth0
                  iface eth0 inet static
                  address 192.168.1.3
                  netmask 255.255.255.0
                  network 192.168.1.0
                  broadcast 192.168.1.255
                  gateway 192.168.1.1
          I have one more, kind of silly, question: how do I prevent the old pppoe connection from automatically starting when booting up? When i created it, I used pppoeconf, and it just asked me if I want it to start automatically...and now I have no idea how to prevent it from starting.

Comment

Check both, K > Applications > System Settings > Advanced > Autostart and Service Manager > Startup Services
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
            X