X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No wired network Connection

Hello,

Shouldn't my laptop pickup the wired connection as soon I plug in the wire? But nothing is happening.
    What should I do?

The wireless is working okay. I thank you in advance for your assistance.

Re: No wired network Connection

in a terminal type

ifconfig

plug in the cable, wait 2-3 seconds and do it again. If eth0 doesn't show up, there's a problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Thank you.
      Don't understand why but typing in ifconfig starts the wired connection.

Comment

What are you using to connect?

If it's WICD, there is an option in the properties for the wired connection to tell it to automatically connect if available. With Network Manager it should just happen.

Comment

I am not sure if I am using WICD. How can I find out?

Comment

You will have a network icon in the system tray to reflect your wireless connection. It will be either be the default network manager or WICD. To get WICD you have to knowingly install it so I would assume it's the default.

Firstly plug in your ethernet cable. If nothing happens that probably just means your wireless is the default. Right click on the network system tray icon and select manage connections. In the resulting panel select the wired tab. If your connection has now been detected you should see it there, and be able to configure it so as it will connect automatically if plugged in.

HTH

Ian

Comment

Working...
            X