This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic 64 bit, lost correct network configuration

Intel DP55KG i7 Quad. ifconfig showed IP addresses off in the weeds. Topology is 100 Mbit wired Ethernet w/static addresses. Network Connections showed correct addresses but didn't agree with ifconfig data. Network icon in tray stopped turning green.

etc/network/interfaces didn't show any addresses so I did a forced configuration by modifying to -

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet static
    address 192.168.0.119
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    network 192.168.0.0
    broadcast 192.168.0.255
    gateway 192.168.0.1

ifconfig then showed correct address and machine would ping to other IP address just fine. Browsers still would not work however and network icon in tray never turns green. There is obviously another mechanism that ties the browsers/e-mail agents to the Internet. Does anyone know/understand the mechanics of how applications connect to the Internet beyond what I have described?

Any help or thoughts welcome. Thank You

Re: Karmic 64 bit, lost correct network configuration

It appears you don't have a gateway or /etc/resolv.conf doesn't have an address of a valid DNS server.

Do you have a DHCP server on your network?
    Could this server be allocating 192.168.0.1 to another machine?

What ever is in the /etc/network/interfaces file takes precedence over the desktop graphical network tools.

What is the result of typing?
    route -n

If none of the flags show UG, then there is some conflict about how the gateway is being established and the settings in your file are being ignored.

If you do have a gateway, then is the file /etc/resolv.conf filled with valid DNS nameserver addresses? If not, that is your problem.

If you do have a DCHP server, and especially one that you can control I would recommend you comment out everything pertaining to the eth0 interface.

#auto eth0
    #iface eth0 inet static
    #address 192.168.0.119
    #netmask 255.255.255.0
    #network 192.168.0.0
    #broadcast 192.168.0.255

reboot or restart the networking interface

sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

you should then find that typing
    sudo dhclient

will get you a valid connection to the internet and /etc/resolv.conf will have valid nameservers. Assuming your DHCP server has been configured either automatically or correctly.

If it is important that your machine always has the same ip address, then in your router or where ever you have your DHCP server, include the MAC address and the desired ip address in the DNS server table.

The MAC address can be established by typing the command
    ifconfig -a

and looking for the alpha numeric after HWaddr listed under eth0

Hope that helps.

Natty Narwhal 11.4 KDE 4.4.3

Comment

My guess is gateway route is missing. Common issue using knetworkmanager.

Type "route -n" in a terminal and you should see something like:
      Code:
      Kernel IP routing table
      Destination   Gateway     Genmask     Flags Metric Ref  Use Iface
      192.168.1.0   0.0.0.0     255.255.255.0  U   0   0    0 eth0
      169.254.0.0   0.0.0.0     255.255.0.0   U   1000  0    0 eth0
      0.0.0.0     192.168.1.1   0.0.0.0     UG  100  0    0 eth0
      You can manually force the route but I never could get it to stay after a reboot.

My solution was to remove knetworkmanager and build /etc/resolv.conf by hand.

Please Read Me

Comment

Much joy. Problem fixed. A few additional details might help others with this problem. The ifconfig data went off into the weeds during one of the strange boots Koala does on my machine. The grub loader plainly states "beta version". Reading other posts on this site clearly indicate there are problems with the load sequence for Koala. I have experienced like problems but have always found a work around. This time the boot sequence some how mutilated my resolv.conf file. It left behind strange IP addresses parts of which showed up in the ifconfig data.

The resolv.conf file contains the URLs of the "nameservers" that turn domain names into numeric addresses. No name servers listed, no IP addresses to route to.

I absolutely love Karmic and the applications it provides but I sure wish they would hurry with the updates/bug fixes for this version. I fully expect the problem to reoccur. This time, however, I'll know how to quickly fix the problem.

Special thanks to the two gentlemen that gave me a clue where to look.

Comment

Working...
        X