This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home networking

In the last year or so we went from having one, kinda two, computers in our house to having six. They are all basically going through one wireless router (one is cabled and my own box which is my own wireless router piggybacked),
    What I want to do is set up to transfer files easily from comp to comp. basically set up a secure home network. Can anyone give me some good links to get started, and will i need a server?
    i read about zeroconf in my linux manual but it wasnt' a whole lot of help.

Re: Home networking

If they're all on linux, NFS is the best. Windows will require Samba.

What you need to do depends on what you are looking to do.

If you want all computers to have files access to all others, they all need to be "server" and "client".

Basically, install kdenetwork-fileshare and nfs-common packages and you'll have all you need to do this.

Why don't you start by outlining what you want to be able to do. Remember, this is linux so just about anything is possible.

Please Read Me

Comment

For me, file sharing works way better with ssh/fish than nfs. ssh may be slower (heavy encryption), but nfs was somehow never really stable with my setup.

Comment

I have two macs and two linux boxes, two printers and one scanner at home. My linux box is the samba server and everyone can print or scan and I have made a partition visible for sharing stuff over the network.

So far so good, but I wan streaming and central pim data management which samba does not give me (afaik).

If what I have is good enough for you, check this. I know it is an arch wiki, but it is fantastically comprehensive. The only thing that does not apply to Debian users is the install routine, but I'm sure you can work that one out
        Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

an outline eh
          -set up a home network
          -2 linux boxes and 4 widows and a printer
          -want to file share and print between computers
          -I want to admin the network
          -not have a dedicated server.
          -learn how to manipulate network resources for personal education.

Comment

Originally posted by apgrnt
            an outline eh
            -set up a home network
            -2 linux boxes and 4 widows and a printer
            -want to file share and print between computers
            -I want to admin the network
            -not have a dedicated server.
            -learn how to manipulate network resources for personal education.
            SAMBA does network interfacing to/from linux and windows. Linux computers can use samba to share files or NFS. Unless you plan on a lot of large file transfers, you might be better off focusing on SAMBA and using it for linux and windows file-sharing. I think NFS is better for linux, but since you're still mostly windows might as well leave NFS out of the equation.

Printing: Linux boxes will all need CUPS. The computer(s) that have the printers physically attached will need SAMBA. The Windows computers will need printer drivers for each printer. If a windows box has a printer attached, all the linux boxes will need SAMBA. Remember - whatever computer or computers host the printer(s) will have to be on to print. Since you have only one printer (for now) I suggest installing it on a linux machine because once running - it won't need to be rebooted everyday like windows does.

File Sharing: Thankfully, SAMBA tools are available to use. Install samba-common on both linux boxes.

Since there are so many computers involved, I suggest - since you're admin - establish some basic rules;
            1. All users use same username on every computer - windows and linux - and same passwords. On linux machines use the same ID #'s and primary group #'s (helps with permissions).
            2. Create meaningful fully qualified hostnames for all computers and make all windows computers (and linux samba) use the same workgroup.
            3. Create a single shared directory on each computer (Public or Shared are good names) and use the same one on every computer. If you need more organized sharing, use a common set - Documents, Music, Pictures... et.al.

Downside of having no particular server is files will need to be duplicated or you'll have to know where they are to find them. If the file you want is on a laptop that's not home - you'll be waiting.

If you desire only the ability to transfer files back and forth that's no problem.

Please Read Me

Comment

Too large a network can run into problems with MS's stupid "10 connection" limit for windows. If you ask MS how to have more than 10 connections, they will offer to sell your their server edition. Connections includes, computers, printers, and any other devices on the network.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                Too large a network can run into problems with MS's stupid "10 connection" limit for windows. If you ask MS how to have more than 10 connections, they will offer to sell your their server edition. Connections includes, computers, printers, and any other devices on the network.
                With 4 windows computers and 1 printer I think he's OK

Please Read Me

Comment

I'll be the /network admin/ but the other computers will not be in my control. I would have to install Samba onto each computer? I'm Absolutly new to networking, and have been using linux for a little less than a year. Some of it isn't obvious to me yet, but I can learn quick if anyone has a link to a good detailed walkthrough on a set up that would be wonderful.
                  I found this http://www.aboutdebian.com/network.htm but it's a bit old but I'm thinking it's a good source to start at, what da'y'all think?

Comment

Re: your link - I think it's way more detail and knowledge than you need right now.

For linux machines: it's all about security. So stuff you don't necessarily need like network file sharing aren't enabled by default.

Therefore - samba exists in two parts - client and server. Server just means "This computer will make it's files available on the network." Client means "This computer will look for and access files on the network."

Since you're not planning on a specific hardware host for files - both linux computers need server and client packages.

Since samba is a protocol to network with windows machines, they already are able to do both functions, you just need to enable file and if the printer is attached to a windows machine - printer sharing.

Let's start out slowly. I assume at this point all your computers are attached to your network and are using DHCP - that means the network picks the IP address for each machine as it logs on. Start with the windows machines and enable filesharing (printer sharing also IF the machine has a printer attached to it), create a shared folder(s) and be sure they can browse one another. Assign simple and meaningful names to your workgroup ID and computer ID's, like Marys HP and Bobs Laptop and something like Home or Jones Family as your workgroup.

Once they all talk to each other, grab your linux boxes and start here https://help.ubuntu.com/community/SettingUpSamba

Please Read Me

Comment

Sorry to sound ignorant and needy but what is a work group? I've heard of them in the linux world but not in Windows. And widows XP already has everything on them that I will need to make them both server and clients on the network?

P.S. this is all a project i plan to take on in about a week, After i'm done with all of my finals, so i'm just trying to get all the tools i need (mental and physical) gathered up right now.

Comment

Originally posted by apgrnt
                        Sorry to sound ignorant and needy but what is a work group? I've heard of them in the linux world but not in Windows.
                        Funny, I've never heard the term used in conjunction with linux. In XP, open the control panel, select "System", then "Computer Name", then "Change". Here are the dialogs
                        Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

next one
                          Attached Files

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate
                            That would be 10 active connections. No problem at all for most home networks.

Any file, print, named pipe, or mail slot session that does not have any activity is automatically disconnected after the AutoDisconnect time has expired; the default for the AutoDisconnect time is 15 minutes. When the session is disconnected, one of the ten connections becomes available so that another user can connect to the Windows XP system. Therefore, lowering the AutoDisconnect time can help to reduce some of the problems that users may encounter with the ten-connection limit or the five-connection limit on a system that is not used heavily for server purposes.

You can configure the AutoDisconnect time by running the following command from a command prompt:

net config server /autodisconnect:time_before_autodisconnect

Specify the time in minutes.
                            BTW, XP Home can only support five connections.
                            we see things not as they are, but as we are.
                            -- anais nin

Comment

Correct. From the EULA for XP Home Edition:

1.3 Device Connections. You may permit a maximum of five (5) computers or other electronic devices (each a "Device") to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize one or more of the following services of the Software: File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The five connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through "multiplexing" or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections. This five connection maximum does not apply to any other uses of the Software.
                              But the XP Professional Edition does allow 10 connections.

From the XP Professional EULA:

You may permit a maximum of ten (10) computers or other electronic devices (each a “Device”) to connect to the Workstation Computer to utilize the services of the Product solely for File and Print services, Internet Information Services, and remote access (including connection sharing and telephony services). The ten connection maximum includes any indirect connections made through “multiplexing” or other software or hardware which pools or aggregates connections.

Comment

Working...
                              X