This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

<Solved> NFS shares not mounted at boot

ISSUE: NFS shares mounted via fstab not auto-mounting at boot time. They mount fine after boot with a simple "mount -a" so the fstab entries appear correct. Here they are anyway
    Code:
    server://shared /shared     nfs auto,user,rw,rsize=32768,wsize=32768    0    0
    server://home  /otherhome   nfs auto,user,rw,rsize=32768,wsize=32768    0    0
    I only started using Kubuntu at 9.10 and not before and my web and forum searching has lead me down many paths. It seems there are many ways to handle auto-mounting of nfs shares and (K)Ubuntu has used more than one way in the past.

Before I start creating new scripts and hacking crappy workarounds, here's what I know:

There is no mountnfs.sh script on my karmic install.
    There IS a umountnfs.sh
    There are four mountall config files in the /etc/init directory

I believe the proper way to auto-mount the nfs is for the script to wait until the network is up, then mount the shares. I use the network shares on my desktop so I need them mounted at boot before my desktop is loaded.

I would prefer to do this the correct Kubuntu way, rather than hacking my rc.local file with a workaround.

So do I create an init scripts to replace the missing mountnfs.sh or do I put a script in /etc/network/if-up.d

This is a desktop system with dual and bonded NIC's and static IP.

In case it matters: I don't use the knetwork-manager because it doesn't really work correctly. Personally, I think it's been written for wireless users and it gets in the way for desktop wired systems like mine. For example - dual ethernet ports both connected are brought up separately by network-manager with different IP's thus jamming my network access via my unmanaged switch. This then requires a manual killing of one of the ports to regain network access. I could not find an option to aggregate (bond) the ports the way I want them. But this is a rant best saved for another post...

Please Read Me

Re: NFS shares not mounted at boot

I dunno jack about NFS, but have you read https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Se...20at%20startup?
    Welcome newbies!
    Verify the ISO
    Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

I'd checkout autofs (can be found in above link) - should do what you require with limited 'hassle'
      Kubuntu<br />FreeBSD 8.1<br />OpenBSD 4.7<br />Meego

Comment

Quote from the linked page (italics added for emphasis):
        Mount at startup

NFS mounts can either be automatically mounted when accessed using autofs or can be setup with static mounts using entries in /etc/fstab.
        As I stated in my post, I desire these mount to be up prior to desktop loading. I have been doing this with several distros prior to kubuntu so I feel the problem lies closer to home. I don't really want to add yet another layer of complexity by adding autofs to the mix when the current tools should be doing the job.

Please Read Me

Comment

Appirently, this is yet anouther network-manager issue. When I uninstalled network-manager, the config file remained. Issuing the command

sudo update-rc.d -f NetworkManager remove

fixed it for me.

Please Read Me

Comment

Glad you got it fixed. That pesky Network Manager seems to have caused a great many problems for lots of users.
            Welcome newbies!
            Verify the ISO
            Kubuntu's documentation

Comment

Working...
            X