This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Kubuntu as print server, Vista client

For what it worth, I ran into a similar problem with Vista. I have a SAN storage device attached to my LAN. I can stream music and get to file located on my SAN storage. I run Vista, Mac and Linux Kubuntu 9.10. Vista is the only machine I have the similar timing out problem you encountered when access a share device within the network. On my Vista, I could be working looking the the directory tree on my SAN, move around, but as soon as I try to stream music file or open file on the SAN storage from the Vista. It hangs and crash hard, lost my Vista to hard power down. I think the time problem is on Vista side.

Why don't you try this, see if you can share a folder on your linux system to Vista first, see if you get read/write file to the system under SMB. This should tell you if your SMB is function correctly.

Comment

Printer is shared.
      Firewall on or off changes nothing, Firewalls on both computers.
      Linux computer can access Vista but not the other way around.
      When I ping Linux from Vista, all OK.
      When I ping the Visat machine from the Linux beastie all OK

I now no longer see my DCP-145C in the network when I select the Linux Computer.

I am completely baffled.

John

Comment

I don't have Vista, so I can't experiment with this, but I did some research and came up with these suggestions of settings to set in Vista.

1 - Add print server to your list of Local Intranet site (Internet Explorer Options) eg http://printer_servers_name
        2 - Disable Enable Auto-protect (only for the local intranet)
        3 - Local Group Policy - Disable Restrictions on "Point and Print"

printer_servers_name would be, I think, the IP address of Kubuntu machine folloed by the printer port, such as, in my case would be 192.168.1.10:631

Comment

I also found this page which has some clear instructions.

http://tinyurl.com/yamamet

Comment

Thanks heaps for all the effort you are putting in Detonate,

I feel I am getting closer.

Originally posted by Detonate

1 - Add print server to your list of Local Intranet site (Internet Explorer Options) eg http://printer_servers_name
            2 - Disable Enable Auto-protect (only for the local intranet)
            3 - Local Group Policy - Disable Restrictions on "Point and Print"
            I use Firefox which doesn't have the same settings for Intranet.
            I do have Explorer as well so I went there and added my printer as in Point 1. Couldn't see either of the settings indicated in points 2 & 3.

The page you directed me to was clear and all went well until I tried a test print and nothing happened. The computer hung and then had to close down the program (not responding).

I have a theory. The printer is also on my Vista machine so that I can plug in and use it. (USB).
            It Has the same name so that when I added the network printer (same physical piece of equipment) it added it as

Brother DCP-145C Printer (Copy 1)

When I open Network, select the Linux machine and see the printer there it is listed as dcp145c (all lower case and no dash).
            On the Linux machine itself it is called DCP145C.

Can this all be leading to a problem?

Comment

Thanks for your response too Edkwok,

I can share my Public folder on Vista with my Linux machine. If I try to share another folder I can see it on the Linux machine but if I try to access it I am asked for a User name and Password. I have no passwords on Vista so I don't know what to use.

I can see no folders from the Linux machine when I access it through Network on Vista.

All very strange.

John

Comment

I wish I could help mre, but not having Vista, it's hard for me to experiment with the settings. The Group Policy Editor is not enable by default in Vista. You could google that and find out how to enable it. Probably some registry key.

Comment

Thanks for all the help but I have run out of energy for this fight. Before I bang my head against this any longer I would like to hear from just one person who has the same combination of Kubuntu 9.10 am Windows Vista Home Premium and has made it work. I don't mind a challenge but I don't want to waste anymore effort if it's impossible. Thanks again, I will look in from time to time.

John

Comment

Not sure if it will help at all but in a completely vista network I still had to setup user accounts for everyone in order to share files or print across the network in my house. that was what it wanted when it asked for username and password. A big reason I am converting things to kubuntu now and am about to hit many of the same hurdles.
                    3 machines running Kubuntu9.10 still working on the dual boot and sharing a printer with win 7

Comment

Originally posted by plant17
                      Thanks for all the help but I have run out of energy for this fight. Before I bang my head against this any longer I would like to hear from just one person who has the same combination of Kubuntu 9.10 am Windows Vista Home Premium and has made it work. I don't mind a challenge but I don't want to waste anymore effort if it's impossible. Thanks again, I will look in from time to time.

John
                      One hand up...

From Microsoft:
                      Connect to Printer
                      -----------------------------
                      Windows cannot connect to the printer.
                      Operation could not be completed (error 0x000006be).
                      You do not have sufficient access to your computer to connect to the selected printer.
                      From my linux server smb.conf:
                      Code:
                      [print$]
                        path = /var/lib/samba/printers
                        browseable = yes
                        write list = @adm root
                        guest ok = yes
                        inherit permissions = yes

Please Read Me

Comment

Might I suggest that you hook your USB printer to a USB wireless print server, set the print server to dispense a FIXED IP address which is below the starting IP address that your wireless router begins with, and then use CUPS and set your printer connection to socket://192.168.1.99:9100 (Assuming that your wireless router starts dispensing IP addresses at 192.168.1.100).

That way, neither PC requires the other PC to be running in order to print something, AND, it doesn't matter which order your PCs are booted or if any others are. Connect both wireless routers to the same power strip and when you turn that on it turns on both routers.
                        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by plant17
                          I can share my Public folder on Vista with my Linux machine. If I try to share another folder I can see it on the Linux machine but if I try to access it I am asked for a User name and Password. I have no passwords on Vista so I don't know what to use.
                          Samba is asking for it's username and password. You can either set up accounts for your users and install passwords or leave it wide open. The wide open option will undoubtedly freak some people out but unless you're sharing critical data over the internet, I don't think there's much to worry about. If you're on a home based network with basic security (router firewall and wireless security) your unlikely to have any problems.

http://samba.netfirms.org/

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                          X