This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic won't boot: "filesystem has unsupported features"

I'm running Karmic on an Asus laptop, dual-boot with Windows 7. Everything has been working reliably since install. Nothing unusual yesterday and no changes or messing around on my part (for once) to cause a problem. Did do a routine set of updates yesterday, but don't really remember what they were.

Today the machine won't boot into Linux, although Windows works as usual. I get the usual Kubuntu loading screen (after grub) and then:
    "one or more of the mounts listed in /etc/fstab cannot yet be mounted: /home: waiting for UUID=XXXXX Press ESC to enter recovery shell"

Booting into a Gparted disk, I find "!" shown for both root and home partitions. Gparted says "Filesystem has unsupported features, couldn't find valid system superblock" These partitions are ext4. I note that the root and home partitions no longer have a label. My quick guess it that the problem is with the lack of a label, but I don't know how it got that way or what to do to fix it.
    Booting into recovery mode from grub gives a similar "unsupported features" message.

I'm way out of my knowledge base with this. I use this PC for business and need it to work asap. I backed up my important files a week ago "whew!". Searched and found no useful information so far, excepth the implication that maybe my partitions should be ext4. I'm making an assumption that recent updates have something to do with this since a reboot was required after the update (unusual).

Re: Karmic won't boot: "filesystem has unsupported features"

Post the contents of your fstab and fdisk -l

Please Read Me

Comment

I was just now able to fix the problem using the newest version of Gparted live CD to restore the partition labels, then edit fstab with nano. I used the following thread as guideline:
      http://swiss.ubuntuforums.org/showth...1325528&page=3

However, I have to leave the UUID line commented out (for /home partition) or it won't boot. Now everything seems right. Looks like a lot of people are having a similar problem that just magically appears. Perhaps a bad update. I plan to do a major backup tomorrow and then consider upgrading to the newest LTS distro.

Comment

sounds like your uuid's changed. Did you check them

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
        X