Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Server: Fedora ~ New Server: Kubuntu?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Server: Fedora ~ New Server: Kubuntu?

I have some really old hardware running one of the early Fedora Core installs (and KDE) for my home webserver and SSH VPN tunnel to bypass work firewalls and web filtering. I downloaded the ISO for Kubuntu 9.10 this morning to install on some new hardware and 'recreate' my existing system with newer Linux software.

Before I start down this road, is Kubuntu my best option? I currently run Apache, PHP and MySQL as well as OpenSSH. Nothing extremely fancy running on the webserver - phpMyAdmin, fudforum2 (soon to be 3 if this 'upgrade' works), egroupware, and phpwebgallery.

Mostly I use it as a receptor for port forwarding from work.

I may, if this new hardware proves robust enough, attempt to do experiment with Linux DVR software. But that's above and beyond what I mentioned in the previous paragrahs.

So, is Kubuntu the right distro for me? I've used it as a desktop several times, but never in a server role.

Thanks in advance,

Jon Moss

Re: Old Server: Fedora ~ New Server: Kubuntu?

Have you looked at the Ubuntu Server Edition? It might have better tools already installed for you.

Since it's a server and not your desktop, you wouldn't likely be using any KDE stuff anyway.

Just a thought.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X