This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Laptop Install - keyboard and mouse won't work

I finally got Kubuntu to install using the alternate cd, but when I get to the log in screen the keyboard and mouse don't work. It is a Toshiba Satellite L500. Any ideas on what can be done to get them working? Is there something I can add to the boot command in the grub menu?

Re: Laptop Install - keyboard and mouse won't work

Isn't that a European version?

Toshiba has a Linux information site here, although I have no idea as to how much help it will be. Beyond that I wasn't able to find too much about anyone using or trying to install Linux on the L500.

Have you tried using the recovery option to boot into a consol as root with a network connection, then issus 'startx" to start your desktop. Then you can use Systemsettings to change your keyboard and mouse actions.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I tried recovery mode and the keyboard works fine on the prompt but as soon as it loads into the desktop neither the keyboard or mouse works at all...

It hangs for a long time on boot after the grub menu. I am not sure what it is encountering that is causing the problem. I tried first to install it with the mini iso and after it installed and restarted it seemed to just hang indefinitely. Then I tried from the regular CD, but when install menu came up on the CD neither the keyboard or mouse would work so I never even got to try installing that one. So I finally got it to install using the alternate CD and now I am seeing the same keyboard mouse issue when it loads.

When it is booting I get a black screen with words and it always hangs on etho0 and after several minutes it goes to a login prompt. From there I have to login and then type startx. Once I happened to let it sit after logging in at the prompt and it did eventually go to a Kubuntu screen with the progress bar and then to a kde login screen where the keyboard and mouse wouldn't work.

Any suggestions on what might be going on?

Comment

Have you tried renaming ~/.kde to ~/.kde_backup and then doing a recovery to a konsole with network and then "startx"?
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

When you installed, what Language and Keyboard layout did you choose?
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

So if the keyboard works in text mode - in the console - but not in X mode. Look at /var/log/Xorg.0.log and see whats going on there.

Did the install create /etc/X11/xorg.conf?

If yes - let's look at that too.

Please Read Me

Comment

I checked /var/log/Xorg.0.log and found the following:

(II) Cannot locate a core pointer device.
              (II) Cannot locate a core keyboard device.
              (II) The server relies on HAL to provide the list of input devices.
              If no devices become available, reconfigure HAL or disable AllowEmptyInput.
              (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (no such file or directory)
              (II) No APM support in BIOS or kernal
              I checked for /etc/X11/xorg.conf and the install never created one. There are other files in /etc/X11, but not /etc/X11/xorg.conf.

Any ideas? I am willing to try a couple more things, but then I think I will try to install 8 instead. From the Toshiba link GreyGeek provided it seems that 8 has installed successfully on a variety of their hardware...

I also noticed that in the log the majority of the text is in regards to having to probe for graphics/monitor settings and at the very bottom of the lengthy file it finally settles on the settings for RADEON (0) and lists 7 Modeline settings. My guess is that this is causing the long hanging time on boot?

Comment

So I tried installing 8.10 instead, but the regular CD drops to shell and the alternate won't get past failing to detect the cdrom drive. I guess I could try the mini, but I would like to find a solution to just fix the 9 install I already have on there. Any ideas?

Comment

What is the output of these two commands:

sudo lshw

and

sudo lspci

?

Comment

I ran the two commands but the output is too lengthy to retype and I have no way of copying and pasting it... remember that I can only get to a prompt.

Is there anything specific you want me to look for in those outputs?

Comment

Ya, to see if those commands identify the hardware HAL doesn't seem to be able to detect or configure.

Comment

Okay. The command sudo lspci does not list anything indicating a keyboard or mouse etc. It does however list 6 USB controllers and the laptop only has 2 USB ports. I am assuming that it must use some of these for the keyboard and mouse. I also tried plugging a USB mouse in and it doesn't recognize that either. here are the outputs about USB:

00:12.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc DB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
                        00:12.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc DB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
                        00:12.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc DB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller
                        00:13.0 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc DB700/SB800 USB OHCI0 Controller
                        00:13.1 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc DB700 USB OHCI1 Controller
                        00:13.2 USB Controller: ATI Technologies Inc DB700/SB800 USB EHCI Controller

Comment

According to this the cd-rom, mouse, etc are USB on the Toshiba Satellites, so that is what HAL is not detecting correctly. Does anyone know of a way to get HAL to detect these or is there some way to get it to treat them as generic? Any help you can offer would be great! Also wondering why no Xorg.conf was created on install?

Comment

The latest xorg version prefers to attempt to run without xorg.conf. Seems to work well in most cases except for those with exotic or odd hardware.

Two things come to mind here - USB support during bootup is relatively new for linux distros. I came over to Kubuntu at version 9.04, but other distros I used had USB too late in the boot sequence to use a keyboard or mouse until the desktop loaded. This may or may not be part of your issue with the older versions you've tried. I am also assuming you have USB support properly enabled in your BIOS. I say properly, because some bios's have support for USB devices like keyboards AVAILABLE at power up but not necessarily default.

Also, this error message:
                            (WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (no such file or directory)
                            (II) No APM support in BIOS or kernal
                            Says that your kernel and/or bios don't like each other. You can add options to your boot line in grub to fix this like "apm=off" or "noapm" or "apm=power-off" there are more options for acpi also.

According to this the cd-rom, mouse, etc are USB on the Toshiba Satellites
                            This explains why their not listed in "lspci", Try "lsusb" and see if they show up at all. The output will look like
                            Code:
                            Bus 002 Device 003: ID 045e:008c Microsoft Corp. Wireless Intellimouse Explorer 2.0
                            You can capture output from lshw (or any other) by directing it to a file
                            Code:
                            sudo lshw > hardware.txt
                            Then read the results using
                            Code:
                            cat hardware.txt |more
                            Try to create an xorg.conf file with
                            Code:
                            sudo Xorg -configure
                            and see what if any keyboard and mouse entries are there. Or try this

Code:
                            Section "InputDevice"
                              Identifier "Keyboard0"
                              Driver "kbd"
                            EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
                              Identifier   "Mouse0"
                              Driver     "mouse"
                              Option     "Protocol" "auto"
                              Option     "Device" "/dev/psaux"
                              Option     "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
                              Option     "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
                            EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
                              InputDevice  "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
                              InputDevice  "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
                            EndSection
                            I also noticed that in the log the majority of the text is in regards to having to probe for graphics/monitor settings and at the very bottom of the lengthy file it finally settles on the settings for RADEON (0) and lists 7 Modeline settings. My guess is that this is causing the long hanging time on boot?
                            The laundry list of resolutions and probes from xorg is normal and not usually source for delay. My first guess would be your network is slow responding and that's the source of the delay - But that's for another thread!

Please Read Me

Comment

I checked the bios and the only setting for USB is the Legacy setting. It was enabled. I disabled it and tried booting, but still no mouse and keyboard. Windows 7 doesn't seem to care if Legacy is enabled or not.

lsusb - produced a list of the six usb I already knew were there. Is this output useful for anything specific?
                              Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                              Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
                              Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
                              I tried "sudo Xorg -configure" which creates /root/xorg.conf.new and then I ran the test of it, but there was just a black screen. So I ran the test with -retro and I got a gray screen with a mouse pointer, but the keyboard and mouse didn't work so I had to restart with the power button. Making my own xorg.conf using your code just produced a parcer error.

Somewhere along the way I also noticed this error coming up:
                              udevd [127]: worker [139] unexpectedly returned with status 0x0100

udevd [127]: worker [139] failed while handling'/devices/LNXSYSTM:00/device:00/PNP0A08:00/device:06/device:07'
                              Not sure if it is important...

Comment

Working...
                              X