This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Karmic Koala 9.10 Desktop 64-bit Installer Crashes on Disk Selection

I am experiencing a bug in the installer that has already been reported and fixed:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ty/+bug/485450

My question is, where can I download a version of the .iso installer that would have this fix in it? I have downloaded the .iso a couple of times and both of them had the 2.0.6 version of the ubiquity package and it looks like I need the 2.1.17 version according to the link above.

Both times I downloaded the .iso from kubuntu's download page; once from a mirror and the other using bittorrent. I would hate to have to wait till the next kubuntu release in April just to get the update to this one package. So if anybody knows where I can get the very latest version of the install .iso that includes fixes to known bugs that would be great.

Thanks.

Re: Karmic Koala 9.10 Desktop 64-bit Installer Crashes on Disk Selection

Are you using the GUI installer or the alternate installer?

If you're using the GUI, can you boot to the livecd, update ubiquity and then launch the installer

Please Read Me

Comment

Also, you should be able to review the "manifest" for the 9.10 Live or Alternate Install CD, and it will show each package on the CD, and the version. Look for ubiquity.

Comment

To: oshunluvr

I am using the GUI installer.

I am able to boot to the Live CD. So you can update packages on the Live CD and that will update them for the actual install?

To: dibl

I did have a look at the CD manifest to see if I could find which version of the ubiquity package it had and that's where I got the 2.0.6 version from in my initial post. So I need to update that package or get an install image that has the newest version of the package so that it will contain the fix that I referenced in the link.

Comment

Originally posted by asymptoticFault
          To: oshunluvr

I am using the GUI installer.

I am able to boot to the Live CD. So you can update packages on the Live CD and that will update them for the actual install?
          To be honest I haven't attempted this with Kubuntu, but other distros I have used the livecd and installed or updated a particular peice of software prior to clicking on the install icon.

Worth a try!

Please Read Me

Comment

I will give it a try and let you know, thanks

Comment

I tried it last night on lucid in a vbox machine. It has to option to update the installer on the initial "Install" screen but it justed looked up. That is a development release so no telling why.

Please Read Me

Comment

I booted into the Live CD and ran:

sudo apt-get update
                sudo apt-get upgrade

It upgraded the ubiquity package to 2.0.10 but according to that bug fix page I need 2.1.17. I ran the above commands again thinking that maybe the upgrades were incremental but nothing was upgraded the second time.

I figured I'd run the install again to see if anything changed but I still got the same error upon selecting the drive I was going to use.

Yeah I read that the ubiquity installer had been updated for Lucid to include an option to check for updates prior to install. However, that doesn't help me since I am trying to install Karmic. I guess version 2.0.10 is the highest you can go for Karmic and all the other updates are only for Lucid.

Is there a way I can manually download the latest version of ubiquity and then modify my Karmic .iso to include it? Also, if I could manage that, would the latest version of ubiquity even be compatible with Karmic since it only seems to be intended for Lucid?

Comment

I don't want to tell you to do anything evil to your system - you can download the source and try to compile it your self or direct download the lucid packages and dependencies and manually install them.

Personally, I think it'd be less trouble to use the alternate-install CD.

Please Read Me

Comment

That's very true, I don't have to use the graphical installer.

I think I'm just going to give the Alpha 3 release of Lucid a try. Stability isn't really an issue for me since it's not my primary OS. I'm using Kubuntu mostly as a hobby to learn Linux.

Thanks for all the suggestions

Comment

Well unfortunately the Alpha 3 release of Lucid also crashes at the exact same point in the graphical installer as Karmic does. I checked the disk manifest of the Lucid .iso and it has the 2.1.28 version of the ubiquity installer so the error I was encountering should have been fixed. Guess the graphical installer just doesn't like my disk. I'm going to try the alternate installer and see if that works for me.

Comment

I have been trying the lucid iso on a vbox machine and it took three tries to get it to install. I didn't have any trouble with (k)ubuntu on several machines so you might have a specific hardware related issue??

Please Read Me

Comment

I tried the alternate installer for Karmic and it worked perfectly, no problems. Still not sure why the graphical installer dies even on Lucid that apparently has the updated ubiquity package. Oh well, I actually prefer the alternate installer anyway, more control over the process

Comment

Working...
                          X