Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Alpha 5 desktop...how to go classic?

Quintessence:

Test the netbook version, which is going to change dramatically towards release
    or
    test the KK alpha5 which is still stable at least until Beta and then re-become stable at release.

Of course you could simply put jaunty on your machine upgrade the kernel to the latest one as described here:
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106356.0

bythw: what is snappy? 1 tenth of a second? less? a bit more? how doe's one measure that?
    We are dealing with alpha versions.

My KK on my desktop and laptop are very quick but for real work I go back to jaunty for now
    HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

HUMmmmm I just DL'd the dayley of the alpha5 desktop yesterday evening and it's prity snapey....on my desktop eneyway..........so mutch so I'm considering reinstaling with it...........just afrade of loosing the curentley good grub install as I think I read somware that the new grub dosent like to setup dool-tripel booting well!!

and my curent grub recognises XP and the resque partition now and I dont want to loose it.

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

I'm tired of installing the thing on the netbook, it takes hours

Hours?

Surely, you jest. I haven't had a Linux distribution take "hours" to install since I installed RH5.0 on a Sony VAIO desktop in 1998. That took only a couple hours, at the time.

Currently, Kubuntu takes, on my notebook, about 20-30 minutes to install. Adding other programs and making customizations can take another hour or so, but I am a fussy person.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
          Yes, and can be both moved and removed.

To remove it just open the widget dialog, find the system tray icon and click on it to select it and click the apply button at the bottom. It will be removed.

To move it just click on the cashew at the right end of the panel. Move your mouse over the system tray and the mouse icon will change to a small white circle with four white arrows protuding from it in perpendicular to each other. With that mouse icon showing over the system tray using the left mouse button to drag it where you want it. You may have to insert some spacers to force the various icons into the positions you want. Drag the "Add Spacer" option from the cashew black bar to some position on the panel and release it.

Icons are added to the system tray for system applications, not user applications. I think what you want is the QuickLauncher from the Widgets dialog. It come preloaded with Konqueror, and a couple other applications. After you install it you can right click in a blank area or on an icon in the QuickLauncher and a dialog comes up which allows you to add or remove an icon, or modify the QuickLauncher settings. However, the only application icons you can add to the QuickLauncer are those which have a *.desktop file. Those are in several locations. The first place to look is under the "Desktop" directory. A desktop file for an application will be there IF you have dragged that application's icon from the menu structure to the Desktop FolderView (which is set in the Desktop mode). If you haven't dragged an application's icon to the Destkop folder then use "locate *.desktop" in Konsole to find where the application desktop file you want is located. There are LOTS of them in other locations, which is usually where they are copied from when you install them in the menue.
          I tried hard to move the tray. I tried clicking in the cashew, as you mention, but I miserably failed. I uploaded a video of my failure. (should be available anytime within the next 10 minutes):
          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F734ITXVRGY

Maybe I'm doing something wrong. Any help is welcome.

Comment

From the video, it 'appears' that you don't actually have the Panel widget installed. The Panel has it's own Cashew, and I'm not seeing that in what you are showing.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Wow -- great video!

But I dunno what that system is -- it does not look like default Kubuntu. Was there ever a panel with the "K" kickoff launcher on it? Did you deliberately change it to the top of the screen, or did it come that way by default? Where, exactly, did you get the ISO image?

Comment

But I dunno what that system is -- it does not look like default Kubuntu.
                It is the netbook version of Karmic.

@timonoj
                I just tested it on a live cd on my laptop and as far as I can see it is very much under development.

As far as I can seen after a short time playing with:
                - you can move the elements on the top panel around by activating the cashew on the right side.
                - you can add kmenu to the desktop (it shows not the "k" widget but the full menu) but not to the panel.
                - I could not add / move a panel
                - you have to set desktop appearance to desktop to be able to log out / reboot / turn off your computer.

I like the idea and it will certainly be nice to work with, sometime in the future.

For now, get yourself the live cd for KK alpha 5 DESKTOP and test that on your machine, either as a cd or usb.
                HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                4 GB Ram
                Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog
                  From the video, it 'appears' that you don't actually have the Panel widget installed. The Panel has it's own Cashew, and I'm not seeing that in what you are showing.
                  Erm, yeah, but when I click on "add panel" nothing happens. If so, later on I noticed the options in the only cashew that I have (add widgets, preferences) were now duped. Kinda weird.
                  Thank you guys for your feedback. Will get back to the desktop version.

BTW, it doesn´t show up in the video. When I tried to remove all the widgets, the kdeinit and some more apps crashed. Then the panel somehow reappeared back on the bottom (yay!), but only for a minute or so, then returned to the top (crap!). Of course, the panel itself is empty, I can add some stuff onto it, even the K menu, by drag&dropping it from the add widget window, but I can't touch the panel itself (not only move, but editing colors, transparency etc).

Comment

yup netbook remix.........hear.

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...armic/alpha-5/

or

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu-ne...-live/current/

VINNY
                    i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                    16GB RAM
                    Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Yup, that's it, but I'll wait until a version which allows me to change the desktop mode is released

Comment

Working...
                      X