This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpha 5 desktop...how to go classic?

Hi, I just installed the Alpha 5 on my netbook, and got kinda surprised (then annoyed) with the new desktop, looking like the ubuntu-remix one that was available sometime ago (which didn´t have quite a success by the way). The thing is slightly confusing to understand, but way worst to control, as it believes all the time, that instead of clicking on applications, i'm trying to grab the button to place it somewhere else. Once it gets to this behavior, I can´t find the way to make it "clickable" again.
    So, as of now, I´d like to stick to the good old traditional desktop, with its K button at the bottom left corner, the application notification try and so on. Is it possible? If so, how? Can´t find the way :S

Re: Alpha 5 desktop...how to go classic?

I "think" what you are looking for is desktop themes. It's in SystemSettings.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks! For some reason, now I can´t find the system preferences (on last reinstall I could swear I saw them). However in desktop configuration I can see an option "desktop activity". If I change that from Newspaper to Desktop, I get back to what starts to look like a desktop. Still no KDE bar, no K button, no notification tray...How can I get those?

Comment

@timo, it almost sounds like something went awry with your installation. Did you not have a panel at the bottom of your screen, with the "K" kickoff menu on the left end? I'm wondering if your CD was a bad burn or something.

To start the plasma-desktop, including the panel, you should be able to do Alt-F2 "plasma-desktop" with no quote marks. But, it should have been started by default when you first logged in.

Comment

sounds like he has the netbook remix..................I had the same thing happen with the alpha5 trying it live on my desktop......I added 4 desk tops and the desktop pager as well and after using it once it started not leting you click a section and go to that desktop...........all it would do is let you scroll the mouse weel and spin the cube.

and as in the OP cliking eneything on the top panell IE: apps,newspapper,a a a cant remember the therde one would leave you draging the tab around endlesley.

BUT every thing elce I played with seamed to work fine even wireless net.... ......

as to geting the nice KDE desktop back...........go back and get the desktop .ISO
          http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/re...armic/alpha-5/

I think

VINNY
          i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
          16GB RAM
          Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Okay...But will it work the desktop version on my small netbook? It's an atom-based, Asus EEE-PC, 1000H.

Comment

Can't help you. I have no experience with netbook installations.

You can google your netbook model number with Linux and see what pops up: "Linux Asus EEE-PC 1000H"
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Originally posted by timonoj
                Okay...But will it work the desktop version on my small netbook? It's an atom-based, Asus EEE-PC, 1000H.
                if you were abel to try the netbook edition I assume you have the cd/drive for it so try the desktop edition in livecd moad and see

VINNY
                i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                16GB RAM
                Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

asfaik the netbook edition is very much in developement.

How did you get it to install on your netbook? Did you make a bootable usb and go from there?

You can do the same with the "normal" karmic alpha desktop. Of course if you do have a cd reader/writer then you can just test the live cd.

Also you may want to post a thread with a tiltle including your specific Hardware.
                  something like:
                  Karmic alpha 5 on Asus EEE-PC 1000H ?
                  I have seen a few posts with Asus EEE-PC 1000H and jaunty so I doubt karmic will pose a problem.

Welcome to the party
                  HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
                  4 GB Ram
                  Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I just put the daily iso on a USB stick and used it as liveCD on an HP-mini (Vivienne Tam).
                    It works very well, as a matter of fact it works better than Jaunty because it has sound.

Comment

Yes, it looks like very much in development. However, it works VERY nicely. Smooth, nice and easy. But I miss the classic desktop and system tray (sorry, I'm used to windows concepts).
                      Exactly, I moved the iso to a pendrive, using the nice well-known program, unetbootin. Nice and easy. I love that simple program
                      As you mention (and Taunis confirms), I will try the desktop version, as it seems to work in the same hardware (the first HP-Mini had a VIA chipset-processor, but now it has Intel Atom, and same old intel Mobo, as Asus does, methinks). So I'll give it a try. But overall, my first impression with karmic koala is very good

Comment

Hey, the system tray is just a widget. It should be installed by default. If not, rightclick on your panel, select "add widgets" and look for the system tray and add it. While you have the widget tool up, install the QuickLaunch too.

Comment

Yes, its a widget, but a fixed one. Cant be moved nor removed. Can't add any widget to it. I can add new widgets floating in the desktop, though. But couldn't manage to put the bar in the old way.

Comment

Yes, and can be both moved and removed.

To remove it just open the widget dialog, find the system tray icon and click on it to select it and click the apply button at the bottom. It will be removed.

To move it just click on the cashew at the right end of the panel. Move your mouse over the system tray and the mouse icon will change to a small white circle with four white arrows protuding from it in perpendicular to each other. With that mouse icon showing over the system tray using the left mouse button to drag it where you want it. You may have to insert some spacers to force the various icons into the positions you want. Drag the "Add Spacer" option from the cashew black bar to some position on the panel and release it.

Icons are added to the system tray for system applications, not user applications. I think what you want is the QuickLauncher from the Widgets dialog. It come preloaded with Konqueror, and a couple other applications. After you install it you can right click in a blank area or on an icon in the QuickLauncher and a dialog comes up which allows you to add or remove an icon, or modify the QuickLauncher settings. However, the only application icons you can add to the QuickLauncer are those which have a *.desktop file. Those are in several locations. The first place to look is under the "Desktop" directory. A desktop file for an application will be there IF you have dragged that application's icon from the menu structure to the Desktop FolderView (which is set in the Desktop mode). If you haven't dragged an application's icon to the Destkop folder then use "locate *.desktop" in Konsole to find where the application desktop file you want is located. There are LOTS of them in other locations, which is usually where they are copied from when you install them in the menue.

Comment

Aye...I'll check the trick in a VM...I'm tired of installing the thing on the netbook, it takes hours, and I went for the desktop version. It works, but i have the feeling it's not just as snappy as the netbook version.

Comment

Working...
                              X