Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Changing monitor: why did it go so well?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing monitor: why did it go so well?

As noted here:
    http://linux.overshoot.tv/ticket/84
    an old CRT monitor died and I had to replace it with a LCD monitor.
    I am impressed. It used to be that changing a monitor screwed everything up. I was expecting to have to boot with a live CD and change a configuration file manually. But on a hunch I still tried booting without doing anything and everything worked perfectly.
    I am really pleasantly surprised.

What has changed? I actually tried to do a similar change on a #!Linux 9.04 installation, and the system couldn't boot into graphical mode. But it went without a hitch on Kubuntu 9.10.

I'd like to document this in the above web site: which kind of users can expect to experience problems in such a situation?

Re: Changing monitor: why did it go so well?

Originally posted by augustin
    But it went without a hitch on Kubuntu 9.11.
    9.11? No such animal. To ensure this post is in the correct board, did you mean 9.10 or 10.04?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry. I meant 9.10. I corrected the message above. I also apologize for inadvertently posting in the wrong board. :P

Comment

No problem. I'll move the thread to the correct board.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

My first guess is the new xorg defaults without an xorg.conf file and relies on hardware detection.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
          X