X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Mulitple desktops with different images on each one

Originally posted by tomp01
    I really cannot understand what the big deal is, this feature was in KDE 3.5 years ago. Why has it taken so long to reintroduce it?
    That's because you are not a programmer, and don't understand the size, scope and intricate coordination between the desktop and the plasmoids and applets that are required to produce such programs and features. Not only that, most of the programmers are NOT being paid, they volunteer. That means that they have regular jobs to which they have to devote 40 hrs or more per week. Many also have families and if they wish to remain happily married and have their kids say "I love you" when they get home they have to spend quality time with their spouse and families.

Lastly, most folks do not realize the gulf that exists between Qt3 and Qt4. It isn't just a matter of copying code from a Qt3 project into a Qt4 project and then recompiling. My first major application was written in Qt3, just before Qt4 was announced. This app is no where near as complicated as the KDE4 desktop. The program that allow automatic conversion of Qt3 apps to Qt4 is so limited as to be useless for most applications. It couldn't convert my Homestead program, so I rewrote it from scratch using Qt4. I am glad I did because doing so allowed me to incorporate the full power of Qt4 and not be hamstrung by residual Qt3 components.

After I finished the Homestead application I documented it completely so that other programmers in my department could pick up Qt4 more quickly. http://wiki.qtcentre.org/index.php?t...t4_and_C%2B%2B
    Now, three years later, with tools like Qt-Creator and new additions and extensions to Qt4, that document is somewhat dated. Also, distros like Kubuntu, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS include the Qt4 API and tools in their repositories, compiled so that either a debug or a release executable can be compiled without re-running the Qt4 configuration program, so much of the document explaining how to compile Qt4 is outdated.

So, cut them a little slack. Rather than complain in the forum or on the blogs, a better idea would be to send in bug reports to the bugzilla if you think you found a bug, OR, if you have a suggest or wish list post that to the bugzilla too.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
      Originally posted by tomp01
      I really cannot understand what the big deal is, this feature was in KDE 3.5 years ago. Why has it taken so long to reintroduce it?
      That's because you are not a programmer, and don't understand the size, scope and intricate coordination between the desktop and the plasmoids and applets that are required to produce such programs and features. Not only that, most of the programmers are NOT being paid, they volunteer. That means that they have regular jobs to which they have to devote 40 hrs or more per week. Many also have families and if they wish to remain happily married and have their kids say "I love you" when they get home they have to spend quality time with their spouse and families.

Lastly, most folks do not realize the gulf that exists between Qt3 and Qt4. It isn't just a matter of copying code from a Qt3 project into a Qt4 project and then recompiling. My first major application was written in Qt3, just before Qt4 was announced. This app is no where near as complicated as the KDE4 desktop. The program that allow automatic conversion of Qt3 apps to Qt4 is so limited as to be useless for most applications. It couldn't convert my Homestead program, so I rewrote it from scratch using Qt4. I am glad I did because doing so allowed me to incorporate the full power of Qt4 and not be hamstrung by residual Qt3 components.

After I finished the Homestead application I documented it completely so that other programmers in my department could pick up Qt4 more quickly. http://wiki.qtcentre.org/index.php?t...t4_and_C%2B%2B
      Now, three years later, with tools like Qt-Creator and new additions and extensions to Qt4, that document is somewhat dated. Also, distros like Kubuntu, Mandriva and PCLinuxOS include the Qt4 API and tools in their repositories, compiled so that either a debug or a release executable can be compiled without re-running the Qt4 configuration program, so much of the document explaining how to compile Qt4 is outdated.

So, cut them a little slack. Rather than complain in the forum or on the blogs, a better idea would be to send in bug reports to the bugzilla if you think you found a bug, OR, if you have a suggest or wish list post that to the bugzilla too.
      OK, I understand what you are saying and it nice that it is now back. I have, for my sins, been a programmer albeit many moons ago, I now earn a crust as a networking engineer.

Comment

So it looks like we wait for KDE 4.2.x or 4.3 for a fix eh?

Comment

I an running KDE4.2.4 but I don't use the pager. I use the Cashews, so my backgrounds are different for my different desktops. I haven't seen 4.3 yet, so I don't know what it offeres, but when it gets released I will upgrade to it.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

With the cashews, how do you switch between the different desktops? i.e. how do I make this work easily without having to find the cashew and click through that menu?

I've noticed that the pager is calling them Workspaces and the cashews are calling them desktops. So with the default install I appear to have four workspaces, and one desktop per workspace. But if I were to create four desktops on all of the workspaces, then I'd have 16 workspaces/desktops. A bit excessive.

Comment

Clcik on the Cashew and choose "Zoom out". THe screen will divide into as many miniature desktop images as you have defined desktops, . Each miniature will show black band along its edge with setting icons in it. Two of the icons look like magnifying glasses. Will will zoom in, the other will zoom out. Click on the zoom ou icon and that desktop will fill the screen.

Comment

Works perfectly in 10.04 + KDE 4.42. Excellent!

Comment

Working...
                X