This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mulitple desktops with different images on each one

Migrating from Suse9.3-11.1 KDE3.5.1 so bear with me, but I'm used to having four desktops each with a different image on it. Makes it easier to know I'v switched. Two are static and the other two change background images once an hr just because. With Kubuntu 9.04 KDE 4.something, I have four desktops, but they all have the same image. I have looked everywhere and can't find anything that allows me to select different images for each individual background. Is this possible with Kubuntu 9.04 and KDE 4.x?

Re: Mulitple desktops with different images on each one

Sure. I am running two desktops, each with different backgrounds.

In the upper right corner of the screen is something that looks like a cashew. Click on it and select "Zoom out".
    A screen with 1/4th filled with your orginal desktop will be displayed. It will have a black band with setting icons. One of them is "+ Add Activity". That will create another desktop. You can clcik the Wrench icon in the black panel, which will bring up the appearance settings, where you can change backgrounds and other things. All of the desktops in the cashew view will have a large red X on the black panel except one, the one you CAN'T delete.

To select a particular desktop chose the magifying glass that says "zoom in" in the info balloon.

Even if you have different apps on different desktops you can "scroll" between apps by hovering your mouse over one of the apps place holders in the bottom panel and rolling the thumb wheel. (Alt-Tab scrolls between apps on the same desktop)
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I see how you got that and did it but what I really want is the four different desktops accessible from the pager on the panel. Just click on one of those and have each of those provide me with a different desktop. Is there a way to do that?

Comment

I dont think so........

hears some on plasma http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma
        but if you find a way I'd like to know

VINNY
        i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
        16GB RAM
        Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

This page suggests there is an edit in "plasmarc" wherever that is:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?p...977c5a0#p19693

I haven't tried it myself.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
            This page suggests there is an edit in "plasmarc" wherever that is:

http://forum.kde.org/viewtopic.php?p...977c5a0#p19693

I haven't tried it myself.
            adding the line in this post to /home/vinny/.kde/share/config/plasmarc file dose chang the other 3 desktops to a verey genarick background BUT no cashu in the uper rite or a right click menu?
            the panel is still at the bottom but the background is dead............

so I changed it back

VINNY
            i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
            16GB RAM
            Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Thre is a widget called "Pager". Install it. It was what you are looking for.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have Pager, but I don't see where it permits different wallpapers for each of the four desktops.

Comment

Yeah, me too don't see anywhere in pager which allows to have different wallpaper for different virtual desktop.
                  Sony Vaio VGN-NR160E/T<br />Kubuntu 9.04 KDE 4.3.00

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek
                    Thre is a widget called "Pager". Install it. It was what you are looking for.
                    I think I have that already active.

Comment

Multiple Desktops/Multiple Backgrounds

KDE 4.2

With the KDE 4.2 there is the very experimental "edit plasmarc", it may or may not work. Here it didn't work - tested with the KDE 4.2.2 > Topic: Multiple Desktops/Multiple Backgrounds?

KDE 4.3

The KDE 4.3 has "Configure Plasma"

part of it is "Different activity for each desktop" - that is every desktop can have different wallpaper. Tested with the Karmic Koala (alpha-2) / KDE 4.3 RC2. Mostly working .
                      Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                      1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                      2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131

KDE 4.3

The KDE 4.3 has "Configure Plasma"

part of it is "Different activity for each desktop" - that is every desktop can have different wallpaper. Tested with the Karmic Koala (alpha-2) / KDE 4.3 RC2. Mostly working .
                        Whereabouts is that screen I cannot find it.

Comment

I really cannot understand what the big deal is, this feature was in KDE 3.5 years ago. Why has it taken so long to reintroduce it?

Comment

Q:
                            A:
                            > Plasma FAQ 4.3 (Temporary page !)
                            2.20 How can I use virtual desktops as activities ?

Zoom out by clicking on the desktop cashew and a new toolbox will open. Click on "Configure Plasma" then check the box "Different activity for each virtual desktop". Click on OK and you are done.

Q:
                            I really cannot understand what the big deal is, this feature was in KDE 3.5 years ago. Why has it taken so long to reintroduce it?
                            A:
                            The wallpapers are now using the plasma-desktop. The code has been re-written, as has been the most of the KDE 4.

This is the FOSS. You could make wishes to the developers but they are free to have own priorities. The fastest way is to make it yourself and donate the code to the KDE. The KDE may or may not use it...
                            Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
                            1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
                            2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rog131
                              Q:
                              A:
                              > Plasma FAQ 4.3 (Temporary page !)
                              2.20 How can I use virtual desktops as activities ?

Zoom out by clicking on the desktop cashew and a new toolbox will open. Click on "Configure Plasma" then check the box "Different activity for each virtual desktop". Click on OK and you are done.

Q:
                              A:
                              The wallpapers are now using the plasma-desktop. The code has been re-written, as has been the most of the KDE 4.

This is the FOSS. You could make wishes to the developers but they are free to have own priorities. The fastest way is to make it yourself and donate the code to the KDE. The KDE may or may not use it...
                              OK I've found it and it works, it is not very intuitive though at least not to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X