This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE 4.2 packages

Looks like KDE 4.2-final packages have started to drip down to the Jaunty repos...just a word of warning: hold the upgrade until you can get all the essentials.

Re: KDE 4.2 packages

> kde-release-team >> 2009-01-01 - 2009-02-01 >>> KDE 4.2.0 final tarball set

Hi,

updated kdebase-runtime due to a licensing issue and kdelibs due to a minor
    plasma security issue (new code afaik) again:

2d830a922195fefe6e073111850247ac kdelibs-4.2.0.tar.bz2
    8ef48aae16a6dddb3055d81d7e5c375f kdebase-runtime-4.2.0.tar.bz2

I would propose an announcement date of tomorrow around this time (18:00 UTC).

Okay with everyone?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

...updated kdebase-runtime due to a licensing issue...
      "licensing issue?" What!? Isn't *ubuntu all about Open Source and GPL?
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Probably this (Creative Commons license vs. lgpl ) > A moon-image under CC-by 2.0 - not in kde licensig policies

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
          Looks like KDE 4.2-final packages have started to drip down to the Jaunty repos...just a word of warning: hold the upgrade until you can get all the essentials.
          indeed
          Code:
           plasma[5793]: segfault at 98 ip a9f07452 sp bfd99270 error 4 in plasma_applet_tasks.so[a9eeb000+25000]
          and
          Code:
           KCrash: Application 'plasma' crashing...                                                   
          plasma(15209): Communication problem with "plasma" , it probably crashed.                                  
          Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "

Comment

It seems that it is safe to upgrade now (using main server) .

BUT #1:

Close unofficial plasmoids down before you upgrade. Plasmoids are needing rebuild as the plasmoids build with the RCwon't work and/or will kill the plasma desktop (The White Screen of Death).

From an official plasmoid (plasmoid-spellcheck 0.4-0ubuntu4):
            Rebuild against new libplasma-dev and bump version required to 4.2.0
            to avoid inadvertent builds against the old version on slow archs

BUT #2:

ALt + F2 is not working - Hmm ?

Comment

Well, after this morning's updates and restarting plasma (almost) everything seems in order.

Originally posted by Rog131
              ALt + F2 is not working - Hmm ?
              I use Win+R (yeah, I know ) and it's working fine. It was in fact the only way I could start apps with plasma down.

Comment

So if I have the release candidate on a pen drive (live) should I just seek to upgrade via adept or via cli?. I am currently testing jaunty alpha 3 kde 4.2 rc.
                Running Kubuntu Karmic Koala&nbsp; with KDE 4.3 at home<br /><br />Kubuntu user 24342<br /><br />Running Dell Inspiron 530 Dual Core 3ghz<br /><br />and also running Kubuntu on a Lenovo thinkpad using a live pen drive<br /><br />Still no Microsoft here!

Comment

That Alt+F2 (krunner) problem is probably version mischmatch:

:~$ krunner
                  krunner: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/kde4/kabc_akonadi.so: undefined symbol: _ZN4KABC12ContactGroup8mimeTypeEv
                  <unknown program name>(20610)/: Communication problem with "krunner" , it probably crashed.
                  Error message was: "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus)" "
                  and

:~$ apt-cache show akonadi-kde
                  Package: akonadi-kde
                  Version: 4:4.1.96-0ubuntu2

So if I have the release candidate on a pen drive (live) should I just seek to upgrade via adept or via cli?.
                  Opinion: Cli is the best choice.

Links:

> KDE 4.2.0 Release Announcement
                  > KDE 4.2 Released (Kubuntu)

> KDE Faq
                  > KDE 4.2 Visual Guide

Comment

I got the same Krunner error than you do. I'll wait for some days and file a bug report then, if nothing happens .

Just had my first Systemsettings crash :/.

btw, I got a few problems, that dont hold me off of trying it, but i wonder if someone has them too:

-While logging in, the background from the flash image always flickers (showing desktop background) and has a little offset to the kdm wallpaper! -> annoying.
                    -Jockey doesnt show anything, had to install nvidia-glx by hand and activate it in x.org, maybe tue to the correction needed.
                    -no extract here option on the desktop
                    -and well, krunner, and i really got dependent on it
                    -anyone tried to install kpackagekit and policykit-kde as its in the repos now? pure mess nothing working here, neither polkit dialogues nor kpackagekit
                    -main menu a little stuffed with unneeded entries-> I find the new menu really(!) usable if you sort things out a little in there.
                    enought about the small errors, heres a small correction that drove me crazy-> what i didnt expect to be corrected was a bug (or a feature...) where it took ages to delete some files(showing up the progress dialogue for hours).

(!)EDIT: I just realised, that installing new programs doesnt add shortcuts to the menu anymore. I tried with Marble, and two others i can't remember ...

else a great release! Kudos to KDE! You came a great way!
                    Greetings

Comment

Hmm, apparently I did not have all the updates installed.
                      I too get now the krunner error Rog131mentioned.

Edit: I removed the culprit - /usr/lib/kde4/kabc_akonadi.so - and krunner works again.

Comment

Lol, a bit radical, isn't it? I'm sure the library is also of other use... you will likely loose some other functionality. But if you really want to do so, maybe it would be better to rename it to somethink like kabc_akonadi.so.DONT-MESS-WITH-ME. so you could restore it if it causes any problems and dont have do d/l it again.

Comment

Originally posted by ShanaVar
                          Lol, a bit radical, isn't it? I'm sure the library is also of other use... you will likely loose some other functionality. But if you really want to do so, maybe it would be better to rename it to somethink like kabc_akonadi.so.DONT-MESS-WITH-ME. so you could restore it if it causes any problems and dont have do d/l it again.
                          I always back up when doing this sort of thing. IIRC this is something to do with some pim resources. I can't say I use them regularly, and anyway this akonadi thing has been bugging me from the start, so it was a calculated risk. No problems so far.

Comment

Edit: I removed the culprit - /usr/lib/kde4/kabc_akonadi.so - and krunner works again.
                            Well, if it works - I grabbed (28.1) the sources from the > Ubuntu Packages >> Package: akonadi-kde

The sources are: kdepim_4.2.0-0ubuntu3 but the repo binaries are still 4.1.96-0ubuntu2.

After build and upgrade Alt+F2 (krunner) is working...

Comment

Actually the funny thing is that I performed the upgrade on both my laptop and my desktop. And for some odd reason, on the desktop krunner functioned normally. The laptop does not show any akonadi errors, while on the desktop I always get an error from akonadi at startup.

Comment

Working...
                              X