Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Kubuntu 9.04 LiveCD change my hostname?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Did Kubuntu 9.04 LiveCD change my hostname?

just wanted to let you folks know this was easier to fix than I feared it would be.
    added a shot of the router config interface for Verizon FiOS and they really improved it since the last time I was in it.
    basically all I had to do, was change the name on the port, and reboot and I am back to normal (well... my machine is anyway)

I will speak with my provider about this to see if they have had any reports of this router model having such problems.

Thanks again all for the help and effort.
    Attached Files

Comment

Don't know if this is viable, but perhaps the livecd should not send the hostname (to the router) via dhcp so routers could not "pick it up" at all (although as I understand this is pretty standard behavior, and could affect network functionality).

The setting to send hostname to dhcp server is in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
        Don't know if this is viable, but perhaps the livecd should not send the hostname (to the router) via dhcp so routers could not "pick it up" at all (although as I understand this is pretty standard behavior, and could affect network functionality).

The setting to send hostname to dhcp server is in /etc/dhcp3/dhclient.conf.
        I think this is a feature: if the computer doesn't broadcast its name, you can only access other machines in the intranet by local IP, which is really shaky, since those are dynamic. Sharing files, printers, etc would become virtually impossible without this feature. This is an issue in the router, IMHO. The client though, why would the linux computer as a DHCP client pick up a hostname from the router? That seems unreasonable!

Comment

Originally posted by lmilano
          I think this is a feature: if the computer doesn't broadcast its name, you can only access other machines in the intranet by local IP, which is really shaky, since those are dynamic. Sharing files, printers, etc would become virtually impossible without this feature
          Yes, if the router is configured to assign IPs dynamically (as opposed to reserving certain IPs for specific MAC addresses), it could cause some issues, but those things aren't usually necessary for livecds (I was only suggesting disabling it from livecds, not installed systems).

This is an issue in the router, IMHO. The client though, why would the linux computer as a DHCP client pick up a hostname from the router? That seems unreasonable
          Perhaps Granular linux is set up to get it's hostname from the server (if one is not set)...the original hostname (new-host-3) mentioned by the OP sounds like something dynamically created by a router dhcp server?

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
            Originally posted by lmilano
            I think this is a feature: if the computer doesn't broadcast its name, you can only access other machines in the intranet by local IP, which is really shaky, since those are dynamic. Sharing files, printers, etc would become virtually impossible without this feature
            Yes, if the router is configured to assign IPs dynamically (as opposed to reserving certain IPs for specific MAC addresses), it could cause some issues, but those things aren't usually necessary for livecds (I was only suggesting disabling it from livecds, not installed systems).
            Ah, I see. I still think there is value in having it in the LiveCD, because people may want to try intranet networking while toying with the liveCD. And really this brings up to the next point:

This is an issue in the router, IMHO. The client though, why would the linux computer as a DHCP client pick up a hostname from the router? That seems unreasonable
            Perhaps Granular linux is set up to get it's hostname from the server (if one is not set)...the original hostname (new-host-3) mentioned by the OP sounds like something dynamically created by a router dhcp server?
            Yes it does! I am not sure how this can be configured, and not even sure what would happen in Ubuntu in the same circumstance, since Ubuntu always uses a hostname by default, so i haven't been there.

But that would be a better solution: for the distributions not to pick up a hostname from the router (in the absence of a local one), assuming that's what happened here. There may be a dhcp-client config option for that. If that is so, it would be great to default it NOT to pick it up.

But who am I kidding, I am not a networking guru

Comment

Working...
            X