Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Kubuntu 9.04 LiveCD change my hostname?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Kubuntu 9.04 LiveCD change my hostname?

I did not see any LiveCD support here so, I'll just post the issue here and let someone else figure out where it goes.

I have a problem that is annoying me, and as far as I am concerned... should not be a common practice when putting out a LiveCD.
    I tried the Kubuntu 9.04 LiveCD on my machine the other day... and since then, my hostname has been switched from "localhost" to "ubuntu" ?

This is not something, an end-user should have to see or deal with after trying a LiveCD. I'm not very happy, and I want a solution.

When I go to konsole now I get
    myname@ubuntu

if I su, I get...
    root@ubuntu

yet /etc/hosts provides.........
    xxx.x.x.x. . localhost

I want this changed back to "localhost" with no difficult executions needed. Just a quick & simple fix. And to comment that this is not a really good practice, to have these types of changes made just by trying out a distro via LiveCD
    I'm fairly irate over this, and I hope it is completely understandable. As an end user with limited knowledge of these types of inner-workings, I can tell you it is the sort of thing which will keep me from ever trying anything "buntu" flavored again, if this is what I can expect to see happen as an end result.

Re: Kubuntu 9.04 LiveCD changed my hostname

All this rant is out of place. If you want to demand support, you are welcome to pay for it
    http://www.kubuntu.org/support

Otherwise, f you want our volunteer help in our scarce spare time, then please be kind and respect ubuntu's code of conduct:
    http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct

As for your problem, no, the live CD does not touch your hard-drive. You haven't explained your problem, really. Do you have another Linux install in your hard-drive? Is that the one where you see now ubuntu as a hostname?

If that's the case, I would suspect your router is keeping the host information. Have you tried to power it off and on and then reboot?

Comment

There's no "rant". Only an end user who is seeing a change after using a kubuntu livecd.
      "Pay for support"? (that's a real good answer.)
      "Doesn't touch the HD?" Then why is it when I tried another LiveCD (open solaris 2009.6) did that not then do the same? Why is it, that I have never had this happen after using any other distro's LiveCD?

Another Linux OS? Yes, Granular 1.0

This very same thing happened just before trying kubuntu, when I tried the XMBC Livecd (which is ubuntu based) it changed localhost to XMBC and now after Kubuntu LiveCD it reads ubuntu.

I don't think it's fair to call this a rant. And I explained my problem, and it only seems to happen when trying flavors of buntus

Comment

You are obviously here to rant. I posted a suggestion, you ignored it, and you keep ranting. I think this thread should be moved somewhere else, you are obviously not looking for support.

Comment

I'm looking for an explanation, as to why this happened, when it has never happened to me when trying any other LiveCD in the past or, as I mentioned (since)
          Labeling it as a rant to me, seems to be an easy-out. "Hey, look at the lunatic ranter... let's lock this"

Your solution is fine, if that is my only means to fix this problem (turn my router off, then back on and reboot my machine) but, what I would like to know is... "why" do I need to do this now after using a buntu flavored LiveCD, and I have never had to do it after using any other distro's LiveCD?
          If this were a rant, I would be using one specific distro to compare with and rant about how great it is. That is not what I am doing here. I am looking for an answer. I think that is a reasonable request.

Comment

I have a better idea, that will maybe make this not appear to be a rant.
            If any of the devs could email me (I will provide my email if needed) and maybe they can answer my question, on a private level so I don't have to be called a "ranter"
            There is obviously something within the LiveCD creation that is causing this to happen.

If I had to power my router off & on then reboot my machine after each LiveCD I tried... I wouldn't be trying any, cuz that is just a pain in the butt. It's a reasonable stance on the matter, that an end user shouldn't have to see this happen.

So, if anyone is willing to speak with me on the issue (who is involved with kubuntu dev) who won't write my issue off as a "rant" I would be glad to go over this in private.

Comment

I believe the point Gemini is trying to make here is that whether the ubuntu family of LiveCD's is writing to the localhost definitions of another Linux install, or changing something in the router, things like this should NOT be happening with any LiveCD. This is a very serious breach of security. and one that causes us both much concern, hence the feeling of anger in his posts.
              I believe this is something that should be addressed by someone from the dev team, as to why it's happening and what changes can be made in the future to end this behavior.
              Cheers,
              Sal

Comment

While the LiveCD is running, what is the contents of /etc/hostname

Comment

Originally posted by skunk
                  While the LiveCD is running, what is the contents of /etc/hostname
                  you want me to run the Live Cd again? :P haha just kidding
                  I'll fire it up on another machine and post back the results

Comment

while running the livecd, the content of /etc/hostname is "ubuntu"

this should be changed to "localhost" should it not? (meaning, before it is released to the general public)? I am not being pretentious here, I am asking legitimately out of curiosity.

this is via selecting "try kubuntu with no changes to your computer"

I also want to thank Sal for explaining my feelings far better than I did.

Comment

I also want to say, I am not meaning to seem like a ranter here. I just thought this is an important matter to review.
                      I had chosen the Kubuntu LiveCD because I wanted to see what you folks were doing with KDE4 and I am especially interested in the awesome new "xSplash"

Comment

1st. What you see in /etc/hostname while you are in the liveCD is NOT your HD, it is in memory. What you need to do is mount the HD and see if /etd/hostname is changed, which I really doubt, since it is still "localhost" after running from the CD.

2nd. You still haven't tried my recommendation. I am not sure that this will fix it, but if it does, that would explain things. However, you keep saying harsh words, and you are willing to spend a much longer time ranting about the "evil" *buntu distros instead of spending 50 seconds on trying a potential fix (and explanation).

I am posting this, not for you, since you obviously don't care, but for anyone landing here in the future. For that person:

keep in mind that the router may ask the live CD (or any running OS for that matter) for a host name, cache it, and later on give it to the next operating system ran in this machine.

This did happen to me in my home router, and the easiest solution was to power it off and on and let it re-build the list of hosts connected to it.

Comment

where have I said any "harsh words"?

The reason I have yet to try your solution is, that my router happens to also supply my television service (as I am through Verizon FiOS and I am recording a movie for someone. Not too mention there is about an hours work I will need to move things out of the way for me to access my router, due to some moving around of stored items in my basement.

You keep throwing out, that I am "ranting" and making harsh statements... which is not true. I am trying to figure out why this is happening in the first place, as I have NEVER experienced it before with any other LiveCDs besides XMBC and now Kubuntu. (and I have tried A LoT of live cds in the past)

I am simply trying to get to the bottom of this.. as it should not be happening. And i would actually rather speak with individuals who are not gonna take personal jabs at me with each post they make toward it... as you have since your first reply.

And BTW.... Kubuntu 9.04 LiveCD just changed the hostname in console on the other machine as well so... somethings up.

Comment

also... if your suggestion does resolve this issue.. that is great and I thank you...
                            but.. it still remains that I have only experienced this with 2 particular livecd's and I would like to know "why?"

That is all I am trying to figure out.

Comment

hay I'm no expert by eney means but I beleve if you never set a host name for your box during install and left it localhost witch is a default hostname for internal rowting then the system may pick up the cacked host name from the rowter

if on the other hand you go ahead and asine yourself a hostname it will be used and not get set to eneythig that may have ben cacked in the rowter.

I have mine set to desktop and no mater how meney live cd's I play with it allways gos back to desktop when I reboot into my installed system.

why desktop you mite ask well becose I have 1 desktop and 3 laptop's on my home net the laptops are hostname laptop1 laptop2 laptop3 and desktop so I know witch one ime geting into on the localnet.

PS: I think it's like lmilano has sead the rowter is cacking the hostnames and seting them on the boxes that havent had them spesafied in thare setings.

the fact that the *buntu's are dowing this is more a testement to them trying to do thing's right for you and not leave eneything out..........IE:you should have a hostname.

and I dont think thare are eney dev's hear just end users that like to help the best thay can

VINNY
                              i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
                              16GB RAM
                              Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Working...
                              X