This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: WICD

Chill, dude you are after all using a development release.
    KDE themselves are not the creators of network-manager , nor of the knetworkmanager applet.

As for wicd, if you see the link I gave you in this post you will see a deb file. That one works in intrepid, no repo, no odd steps to take to set up or use (I should have pointed that out, to be honest). There are no Intrepid repos for wicd anyway. I didn't have to follow any directions from the forum to use it.
    The generic deb file Just Works, menu entry , autostart and all with no tweaks or fixes. I had been using it for over a month, installing it every time I did a fresh install (about 6 times) with absolutely no problems. I only just switched to nm-applet this week to see how well it works

Comment

But KDE has to link with Network Manager and whatever is needed to obtain a wireless connection.

WICD doesn't even need NM and Gnome can actually do it.

I'm even having problems with KDE Wallet and KNetwork Manager in 8.04 now (which I haven't before).

I installed WICD and got wireless to work in 8.10 although it seemed a bit flaky to me. At least, I may have two options now of getting wireless to work in 8.10 (Gnome Network Manager being the other). I think with a month to go, I have absolutely NO confidence that KNetwork Manager will work when 8.10 Intrepid Ibex is released. Sorry, just going by the odds. I think KDE's work with Network Manager and all things wireless is the most useless thing (in Linux). I'll use other software when I can. WICD takes out Network Manager so that might be a plus, too. I hope it still can work when 8.10 is released. It would also be good if one can use WICD in other distros without much trouble.

Thank you for informing me of these options.

Comment

I think with a month to go, I have absolutely NO confidence that KNetwork Manager will work when 8.10 Intrepid Ibex is released.
        I have been amazed in the past how at the 12th hour all resources get put on a problem & are resolved for the final release. My advice is be patient & do whatever you need to get a particular piece of hardware working. Intrepid is not a LTS version & like Edgy it will be a stepping stone to greater things.

Cary
        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

That's cool. I hope that's what happens. I'm trying to convert someone to Linux and I'm suggesting Kubuntu/Ubuntu since, to me, it's the most "Windows-like." I notice, perhaps, some minor bugs and maybe I should ask how to submit a bug report. I don't mind suggesting improvements or reporting bugs.

I hope that Kubuntu boots faster from the hard drive, though. 'Seems quite slow but I suspect the reason is that it's booting from the DVD/CD.

Other than that, if they can solve most of the bugs just in time for the release, that would be nice. I would like a recent stable release on my system and I really like how Flash Player 10 installed on Intrepid.

Comment

Working...
          X