This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WICD

I installed WICD and it works on ethernet but not on wireless. I've never had any problems with wireless before so it is probably just a glitch. One I can't figure out though is how to make WICD start up automatically, any ideas?

Re: WICD

hi, this might be related to knetworkmanager not working too - some recent changes in the NetworkManager daemon.

I just installed network-manager-gnome, and used the gnome nm-applet. :P

hey it's not ideal, but at least it works!

Comment

I have consistently used wicd instead of the network manager. Fewer problems, more reliable connections.

Unfortunately, in the course of the last two updates (or so), even wicd does no longer work. I also have the ethernet connection but no wireless.

For a short while a workaround gave me wireless access, but now even that is no longer possible. Error:
      Device not found or device configured.

That's worse than before the last update when at least the wireless configuration screen came up. Any configuration attempts resulted in a frozen wicd.

There are no problems with wicd or even network-manager in Kubuntu 8.04. At least not on my machine.

Comment

So, to use wireless in Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid you have to use the Gnome Network Manager?!? The gnome-nm-applet? Are you serious?!?
        I would suspect you are right, though. I tried Ubuntu 8.10 and my wireless definitely works.

Also, wireless works in Kubuntu 8.04 Hardy. What is Kubuntu doing?!? It always seems like Ubuntu doesn't care about their Kubuntu division. They could care less if Kubuntu works.

I wonder if KDE 4 KNetwork Manager works in other distros. I can confirm that it DOES, at least in Fedora 9. My wireless works and Fedora 9 uses KDE 4 by default. I tried the KDE 4 edition of Fedora 9 and wireless works for me. So, what is Kubuntu doing so that wireless in KDE 4 is a complete disaster?

Comment

its not KDE, it is networkmanager, and its knetworkmanager applet. It broke somewhere before alpha 5
          Look here on the Alpha5 release notes
          Fedora 9 (final - NOT an alpha release) uses the older versions. I think suse users are having similar issues with 11.1 alpha2 (and the opensuse folks created networkmanager)

Comment

Oh okay, thanks for the info. I hope they (Network Manager crew) fix it. I was rather pleased with Ubuntu/Kubuntu's wireless as for whatever reason, even Network Manager worked for me while it wouldn't in several other distros even if they were based on Debian. The others required extensive configuration but for whatever reason, I could 'scan' network connections, find mine and connect (Kubuntu 7.10, Kubuntu 8.04 and even Ubuntu).

I was learning static ip configuration at the time although currently, I don't need it (can use dhcp).

Thanks for the info about Network Manager (being broken). I was wondering what was going on.

Comment

I have gone down the old hack the /etc/network/interfaces file to get my wireless to work. this works perfectly except for the 90 sec wait on bootup.

Cary
              The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

Well, maybe you can offer your expertise? I also spent some time with the /etc/network/interfaces file. Mixed results but I did get it to work somewhat...

I would like the options of:

1) DHCP, WPA-TKIP... I know the ESSID, password...

2) (don't need this option at the moment but I might want to in the future): STATIC IP, WPA encryption...

Question about Network Manager: how come there are so many issues and problems with it? Also, why don't the various respective distros try to come up with their own program/package? Since Feisty, I remember Network Manager, whether it is using the KDE or Gnome front-end, having problems with connections. It was an issue to even establish a connection, load the wireless drivers or something related. However, I recall having more luck in one of the Ubuntus than other distros. However, eventually, *something* broke at some point. I think wireless should be perceived as essential and I don't understand why more time and effort isn't devoted to it by the developers.

Comment

network-manager is pretty close to the standard - afaik opensuse and Fedora as well as Ubuntu use it. Unfortunately super-easy wireless drivers and connection management are all fairly new to linux in general, at least in terms of widespread driver availability and software usefulness. For Ubuntu at least, dealing with wireless issues is one of their main concerns.

The problems some have had probably are what spawned some of the other wifi tools out there, such as wicd. Though I am currently testing nm-applet (gnome's networkmanager tool/icon) , wicd , which completely replaces networkmanager, worked drop-dead 100% for me the past couple of months.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh
                    network-manager is pretty close to the standard - afaik opensuse and Fedora as well as Ubuntu use it. Unfortunately super-easy wireless drivers and connection management are all fairly new to linux in general, at least in terms of widespread driver availability and software usefulness. For Ubuntu at least, dealing with wireless issues is one of their main concerns.

The problems some have had probably are what spawned some of the other wifi tools out there, such as wicd. Though I am currently testing nm-applet (gnome's networkmanager tool/icon) , wicd , which completely replaces networkmanager, worked drop-dead 100% for me the past couple of months.
                    Interesting. What wireless chip were you using?

I guess what makes it extra complicated is whether you use a laptop or desktop. Since you have various wireless adapter options, CardBus, Network (internal) card, USB Wireless adapter dongle etc. etc. I would choose a laptop with an Intel wireless card, I think, since Intel claims to support Linux. As for USB Wireless, I would go with Ralink or something with the Zydas 1211b chipset. They even have a site devoted to Linux and the support of Linux. My USB adapter contains one of these chipsets. That's why, I seem to have luck and fortunate for the most part when trying wireless. At least, (knock on wood), I haven't had the inclination or desperation to think I had to use ndiswrapper.

I thought Ubuntu and Fedora were on the right track in pre-configuring as one can always manually do it if one feels the need. I'm concerned about the rumour that some of these wireless drivers might not be written into the kernel in the future. I thought that was one of the things that can make it a bit easier. I will use WICD, Network Manager, ceni or whatever makes it easier and possibly work 'out of the box.' I think a manual config is my last resort since I have to enter the 'encryption info' anyway. But, to edit the network config file is kinda drastic and unless I need a specialized configuration, I prefer to scan for connections and pick the one I want. If a wireless network app can configure this without too much pain, then I think that is good news.

Comment

Actually I have a cheeepo broadcaom pc card in my compaq evo N610c laptop. The hardware driver manager detected it, and I did have to hook up to a wired network to let it install the b43-fwcutter app to download the needed firmware. N-M automatically detected and set up the wired connection for me

I was using the cli to connect with my laptop's orinoco-based wireless card, which is basically a usb dongle attached to the lid. Though it is wireless-b and has no wpa support, it got much better range. Unfortunately I had to compile the driver AND that unmaintained driver would freeze my whole desktop if used with wicd or N-M, Alas, the driver will not compile on the latest Intrepid kernels so I am using the broadcom pc card for now, until I try out a mini-pci card if I can find an interesting route for the antenna wire. Hopefully Intel based

Comment

My interfaces file, I use a 128 bit WEP key

# This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
                        # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).

# The loopback network interface
                        auto lo
                        iface lo inet loopback
                        address 127.0.0.1
                        netmask 255.0.0.0

# The primary network interface
                        auto eth0
                        iface eth0 inet dhcp

iface wlan0 inet dhcp
                        wireless_mode managed
                        wireless_enc on
                        wireless-essid myessidname (this must be your ESSID name)
                        wireless-key E714BB077ABB120D9B51cc21b1 (this must be your hex passcode)

auto wlan0

Cary
                        The Ubuntu Counter Project - user number # 7859, registered Linux user 470405 Lenovo T510 Kubuntu Trusty 64bit, Intel Core i5-560M, 8 GB PC3-DDR3 SDRAM - 1067 MHz, NVIDIA NVS 3100m PCI Express, Wireless Centrino N 6300 My website http://www.qah.org.au

Comment

I guess it's a similar setup if it's WPA encryption?

That's a good post caryb! Thanks for that info. I am interested in the interfaces file and that method of setting up wireless in case the network managers/kde apps can'tdo the job.

Btw, I tried booting up 8.10 Intrepid Ibex Alpha 6 and had the same problem with the KDE network manager (I guess it's called knetwork-manager). The KDE Network Manager applet and knetwork-manager both don't allow a wireless connection, at least for me.

I had to do what was suggested, I installed gnome's network manager applet (network-manager-gnome). This worked.

Geez, this should be fundamental for KDE!!! I mean, isn't it ironic that the gnome network manager works? The Network Manager/wireless programs have been a problem in Linux but especially the network managers be it kde or gnome. But, I have had the most experience with knetwork-manager and it's been awful since day 1 (at least, for me). It hasn't worked in the majority of debian-based distros I've tried. Basically, when you try to connect, it doesn't do anything.

I think the KDE team should fire their wireless network people and get it right! How long has it been since it's not worked?!? Anyway, at least there is an option in Kubuntu to get the wireless to work. Ironically, it's to use a Gnome app. Isn't Kubuntu going to be released at the end of October? Is this going to be fixed by then? I am tempted to predict that it WON'T. Why would it be fixed in a month when it's not worked for years?!?

Comment

I just checked WICD in Intrepid 8.10. You have to add a repository and then you sit there with NO item added to the menu? Okay, then give me decent instructions how to add it. I go to the WICD site and they have a POST how to do this so you actually have to read through the thread. (the explanation and instructions are awful.) ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?

Yeah, I'll use that program... NOT!

Back to the Gnome Network Manager if you want wireless in 8,10.

Comment

:\ It added an item to my menu.... Unless I created it myself and forgot about it in the time since.

Try this from a konsole:

/opt/wicd/gui.py
                              Specs:  Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (@3Ghz), G.SKILL 4GB DDR2 1066, ASUS Striker II Formula MB, Asus EN9800GTX+ Dark Knight, ABS Tagan BZ800 PS, Antec 900 Case.

Comment

Working...
                              X