This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: FTP Server

What's sftp? Can I still use the same programs I use for FTP?
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

sftp is secure ftp, part of ssh. If you are using good ftp programs they will support sftp. If they do not you should get new ftp clients.

Comment

I still have I have gproftpd and vsftp on my computer, should I uninstall them first?
        My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The number of ftp daemons installed makes no difference to ssh. For security reasons I would recommend that you remove them, unless youhave them properly configured and need them.
          sudo aptitude install opsnssh-server
          will get the ssh daemon and sftp and scp installed on your system. All of them will connect to your server through port 22.
          If you get a free dynamic dns from dyndns.org, run
          sudo aptitude install ddclient
          and configure it to update. Forward port 22 to you kubunut box. Install winscp and putty on your windows machine adn from anywhere in the world, anytime, even after your internet gets a new ip address you can run connect to home from windows, copy files to and from home, run commands on your home computer from your windows computer, securely.

Then install and configure denyhosts and watch the number of people who try to break in.

Comment

Is there an easier way to access files over the internet on one's computer?

Comment

Working...
            X