X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTP Server

I am using gproftpd.

I followed the directions there but it doesn't work.

When I connect to FTP using Nautilus it takes me to my "/" folder (access everything), when I use gFTP it takes me to my home folder.

But I cannot connect to my computer through the internet it doesn't work, I forwarded ports 2o and 21 in my router...
    My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: FTP Server

Very dangerous. Ftp sends your password in clear text across the network for anyone to sniff, and believe me, people are sniffing. Youwould be better off using ssh, with its sftp or scp capability.If you need Windows clients use Winscp and maybe look into putty and its agent.

Comment

Could I share certain files as read only?

I use Beyond Compare, would it work if I used ssh?
      My Local Repository<br />Forums I am active on<br />Please help me with this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

That I could not tell you.

Comment

Being more secure is good, but I will still use less secure methods if they are more compatible, like http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new in that topic I need to lower security to increase compatibility with Windows 98...

Comment

Life with Windows is cruel. You are moving into 2 areas that have been known for years as real problems. They are just fine in an internal network but problematic over the internet. IN fact many ISP will block the SMB share.

Comment

This is for FTP not samba, I was just comparing to that topic about security vs compatibiliy.

Comment

Is beyond Compare not a Windows app? Using it seems to be limiting what you can do.

Comment

It's a windows app, at school I run Windows and would use it to access files at home.

Comment

That is why I suggested Winscp. It is a nice GUI client that uses sftp.

Comment

Does Winscp do the same thing as FTP? I like Beyond compare, but maybe I could us it.

So could I connect to my Ubuntu machine from any Windows or Linux client?

Comment

That is right. Winscp is just a GUI ftp client that uses a secure protocol. You would forward port 22 to your computer and then you could use Winscp exactly like an ftp client. You could also use putty and securely login to Ubuntu at home from your Windows machine. In fact, if you want you could install Cygwin and use its Xserver so that you can display Ubuntu GUI programs on a Windows machine. That is a little slow because of the sheer amount of data that must be sent for the display.

Comment

I have VNC.

So is Winscp a form of FTP?

Comment

Can I do samba over the internet that would work too...

Comment

Winscp can use sftp as a transport protocol. Using it is exactly like using an ftp client. Samba will work over the internet but it is slow and insecure. If what you need it to access your linux computer from a Windows machine over the internet by far your best bet, for security and reliability is Winscp or maybe Filezilla and putty.

Comment

Working...
                              X