This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Stuck with wireless!

your network setup appears ok. Looking back through your thread, I noticed you are trying static IP's...the default network manager does NOT like static IP's...what happens if you try DHCP? Does it work? I use wicd, and it handles my static IP's just fine.

It's a busy time for me (but the biggest part of the season just ended), but I'll try to get back to you ASAP when you reply...networking is my thing, but to be honest, I'm not that good yet in linux, but we'll get it figured out.

mm0

P.S. If you had Static on your wireless connection, make sure that the static IP address is outside of the DHCP scope, otherwise you could end up with an IP conflict. Your router should have a setting in it to specify the range of IP addr's that it will hand out, and you want your static IP outside of that range.

ok...another stupid question...how is your wired connection getting to the internet? is it through the netgear router? If so, you will probably need to have your wired connections using the same subnet as the wireless connection (again, outside the DHCP scope), unless the router supports a way to route on the local network (possibly vlans - I have seen some consumer routers that have 5 vlans).
    Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Re: Stuck with wireless!

I remember reading somewhere that network manager does not touch the network interfaces that it founds configured already in /etc/network/interfaces. So some of you may be under the false impression that their network manager is working because you upgraded from an earlier Ubuntu keeping your /etc/network/interfaces file. If that's the case, your network is working perfectly but not due to anything network manager does.

On a bare system, and I've verified this a couple of times, network manager cannot manage fixed IP connections.

Comment

Working...
      X