This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck with wireless!

I am running Intrepid, had no problems with Knetworkmanager and a static IP wired connection. Today, I tried my wireless card for the first time since upgrading to Intrepid. The wireless worked like a charm, but now I cannot switch back to the original wired connection! I need to be able to do this. I have already looked at the thread "problem with knetworkmanager(static ip)", my /etc/network/interfaces file is the same as suggested (but with my static IP address). Can anyone help with this?

Thanks

Re: Stuck with wireless!

#8 here will get you started.

EDIT: I'll speculate that you need to add these lines before the wireless lines, in /etc/network/interfaces:

auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

Comment

Assuming you have your cable connected, all you have to do is click on the network icon in the panel (it will either be a green globe or a white cable end - when connected wirelessly, it will be four vertical bars - see picture below) and mouse on Deactivate connection... and click on your wireless connection name. You will then be running off of your wired connection.
      Attached Files
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

This is my problem: I tried to do exactly what you describe, but it doesn't work. When I do that, it goes from four bars to a turning gear, then goes right back to the four bars and the same wireless connection (I haven't seen the green globe since I first enabled wireless yesterday). If I click "disable wireless", and have my wired connection plugged in with the proper settings, I have no connection at all.

Here is my /etc/network/interfaces file:

auto lo
        iface lo inet loopback
        address 127.0.0.1
        netmask 255.0.0.0

iface eth0 inet static
        address 10.0.0.52
        netmask 255.255.255.0
        gateway 10.0.0.1

auto eth0
        Thanks.

Comment

This is sole contents of my /etc/network/interfaces file:
          auto lo
          iface lo inet loopback
          I'm connected, by cable, to my router (Linksys Wireless-G) which is connected to my DSL modem. With this, I am able to connect by wire or by wireless.

"Generally" you don't need any more than this in the file.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Does it make a difference that I have a static IP address that I am trying to connect to with the wire?

Comment

are you sure the netmask is correct? I would check the router, and make sure it is not 255.0.0.0

mm0
              Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

Yep, it's 255.255.255.0. Tried 255.0.0.0 just for kicks but it didn't make a difference.

Comment

Using wicd_1.5.6_all.deb with my Atheros card,
                  accessing via WPA2, and it's been working better
                  than network manager, as each time it's updated
                  back to connection problems for me.

Tried a couple of times to go back to network
                  manager, with the same connection problem
                  in a few days.

Link to web page for WICD

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Need to download to a folder then right click
                  and go with open with, scroll down and go
                  with gdebi-kde. Installs w/o any error message
                  should locate internet easily, start Wicd manager
                  and either right-click or left-click the icon for
                  what you need to be doing.

Comment

Try Snowhog's version of the /etc/network/interfaces. First make a backup copy of your existing version:

Code:
                    sudo cp /etc/network/interfaces /etc/network/interfaces~
                    Now edit it, i.e. delete everything but the first two lines. And no, it shouldn't matter that you have a static ip address. Having said that, there are so many eventualities that one could not possibly anticipate every single one. Rule of thumb: the above works

Finally restart networking:

Code:
                    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart
                    Plug in your cable and you should be online...
                    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

I tried what you said, but without any luck. Anything else I can do?

Comment

OK, let's take a step backwards for just a minute...can you describe your set up for us? some of these things may have been stated in the thread already, but for clarity, let us know as much details as possible, for instance, what router do you use, the local IP addresses of the wired and wireless connection that you are trying to use, desktop or laptop, what networking software you are using (is it the default, which is network-manager-kde)? Have you changed any default settings on your router (IE: the network IP address - which is typically, but not always 192.168.x.x - I'm guessing you have, since you are trying a 10.x.x.x address), etc, etc, etc...

mm0
                        Dell Inspiron 1720 Laptop<br />Intel T9300 Core2Duo Processor @ 2.5Ghz<br />4 GB Ram | 1920 X 1200 Resolution<br />2 X 160 GB SATA HD Internal<br />Nvidia GeForce 8600M Graphics Adapter<br />Using Kubuntu 9.10

Comment

The main switch for our office is an Intellinet 24 port Nway 10/100Mbps fast ethernet switch. The wireless router is a Netgear Rangemax WNR854T. The wireless' IP address is 192.168.1.100, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 192.168.1.1, and I am using a D-Link WNA 2330 Rangebooster G wireless card.

For the wired connection, the IP address is 10.0.0.52, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, default gateway 10.0.0.1.

I am using the default network manager (at least I think so; small globe in the lower right hand corner of the screen). Also, the wireless connection no longer works either

Comment

Can anyone help me with this?

Thanks

Comment

Networking is my area of least proficiency -- meaning I'm pretty helpless myself when there's a problem. If I were you, I would boot a Live CD, with my system connected, and see what the auto-detecting system sets up for an interfaces file. Maybe that will hold a clue for you.

Comment

Working...
                              X